Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

One of the all time great broadcasters on the programme today. Sue Macgregor - putting forward the case for Fanny Mendelssohn. I've been with R3 for most of today. I thought the selection presented by Georgia Mann this morning was very appealing. Re Finch and Keita, it isn't for everyone but I think it's great as I've just indicated on the World Music forum.
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 15-02-18, 22:17.

Comment

• DaisyDog
      • Jun 2016

We certainly get a perplexing mix of presenters, some good, some less so. What a terrific afternoon presenter Kate Molleson is, her soft Scottish bur is a delight, clear, warm, and precise. Not like the annoying 'er ing and 'ah' ing of Georgia Mann. I counted 15 such vocal blemishes a minute today. Where do they get them from? And GM played some really off-the-wall music today, Erollyn Wallen, Roby Lakatos, George Arlen. But hearing Ivor Cutler again was an interesting surprise. Radio 3 does seem to be heading into very strange directions these days.

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

I don't usually listen to Radio 3 in the morning, but my radio alarm clock, on one day last week, produced Francis Poulenc's Trio for Trumpet, Horn and Trombone.

I have never heard this work since I played it in my first year at the Royal Academy of Music; in my first Chamber Music Concert in 1949.

The trumpet was played by Peter Owen and the Trombone was played on a bass trombone by Haydn (Dai) Trotman.

Peter married a well-known TV actress and Dai become an important executive with (I think) the Welsh National Orchestra.

A very tricky horn part and I don't know how I managed to get away with it.

Did anyone else listen to this work? If yes, what did you think of it?

69 years ago - and I still shudder at the thought of those difficult semiquaver runs down in the opening movement.

HS

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

I didn't hear this morning's broadcast, Hs, but I last heard the work at an "Open Day" at the RNCM six years ago. They did rather well, and I was generally impressed by how Poulenc got so much out of what looks like such a limited ensemble (compared with the more usual Brass Quintet, I mean). Lots of lovely material, though the recurring tune in the finale recurs a bit too often, I thought.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Hornspieler
            Late Member
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I didn't hear this morning's broadcast, Hs*, but I last heard the work at an "Open Day" at the RNCM six years ago. They did rather well, and I was generally impressed by how Poulenc got so much out of what looks like such a limited ensemble (compared with the more usual Brass Quintet, I mean). Lots of lovely material, though the recurring tune in the finale recurs a bit too often, I thought.
            I was probably on Auto-Pilot by then.

*Actually, it was some morning in last week; immediately following an 8 o'clock News summary.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
              I was probably on Auto-Pilot by then.
              So was Poulenc!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                Actually, it was some morning in last week; immediately following an 8 o'clock News summary.
                Yes - Thursday: played by the PJBE around 1hr 03mins into the programme here -

Petroc Trelawny presents Radio 3's classical breakfast show, featuring listener requests.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Yes - Thursday: played by the PJBE around 1hr 03mins into the programme here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09qh2ry
                  Very good work this. I certainly have a penchant for this ensemble, as I attended a brass course, way back in 1975 at Lancaster University.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DaisyDog View Post
                    We certainly get a perplexing mix of presenters, some good, some less so. What a terrific afternoon presenter Kate Molleson is, her soft Scottish bur is a delight, clear, warm, and precise. Not like the annoying 'er ing and 'ah' ing of Georgia Mann. I counted 15 such vocal blemishes a minute today. Where do they get them from? And GM played some really off-the-wall music today, Erollyn Wallen, Roby Lakatos, George Arlen. But hearing Ivor Cutler again was an interesting surprise. Radio 3 does seem to be heading into very strange directions these days.
                    I assume there are fewer distractions and interruptions to the train of thought for the afternoon concert programme presenters? The morning 'shows' have to contend with tweemail and trailer insertions, and doubtless 'producer in the ear noise' as well, while having to speak.
                    Is the off the wall music a bad thing or just unexpected?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by DaisyDog View Post
                      I caught the part in which she played Tan Dun's extraordinary Symphony 1997, Gershwin's Three Preludes in response to a listener and a part of Corigliano's Red Violin. He's 80 today. And what struck me was how different this all is from CFM and that is reinforced by what you say of Wallen, Cutler etc. I'd almost call it brave. Isn't this what we have been asking for?

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                        Isn't this what we have been asking for?
                        Not me. I can't fathom how anyone can enjoy a roller coaster of Gershwin, Handel, Judy Garland singing Somewhere over the rainbow, two Ivor Cutler songs, followed by Purcell. The fact that that isn't what Classic FM would have seems to me a point in Classic FM's favour.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Not me. I can't fathom how anyone can enjoy a roller coaster of Gershwin, Handel, Judy Garland singing Somewhere over the rainbow, two Ivor Cutler songs, followed by Purcell. The fact that that isn't what Classic FM would have seems to me a point in Classic FM's favour.
                          Well said, Sir!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post

How about Mompou, Zephaniah, Bach, Beethoven, Kunz, The Lovin' Spoonful, Guarnieri and Zwilich?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

How about Mompou, Zephaniah, Bach, Beethoven, Kunz, The Lovin' Spoonful, Guarnieri and Zwilich?
                              Sounds like a co-operative of upholsterers!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                                Very good work this. I certainly have a penchant for this ensemble, as I attended a brass course, way back in 1975 at Lancaster University.
                                They were nothing short of brilliant, it seems much of their output is not available now - time for a box from Decca?
                                Last edited by cloughie; 17-02-18, 00:03.

Comment

Working...
                                X