X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    I was at that concert, in the RFH - actually I think there were two, another at the Albert Hall a day or two later which was also recorded, though the double LP (which I still have) was mostly or entirely of the RFH concert. The immediate impression, a few bars into the Meistersinger overture, was of the bowing - in true Stokowski style the LSO violins each bowed as they pleased ....then there was the soloist in the Galzunov violin concerto, Silvia Marcovici, a full 70 years younger than the conductor......Stoko fumbling with the microphone after the Brahms (audible on the LP), John Georgiadis coming to the rescue switching it on for his very short speech, then the Marche Slav encore....one of those concerts which completely blew the audience away, instantaneous standing ovation from the entire hall.

PS - Seabright - less of the "well struck in years", please, I may be going on 69 but I'm still very fit thank you very much
    He said WELL struck, not ILL struck!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      He said WELL struck, not ILL struck!

This is what the phrase brings to my mind....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

This is what the phrase brings to my mind....
        Could be a bad sign...

Comment

• seabright
          • Jan 2013

I was at that concert, in the RFH - actually I think there were two, another at the Albert Hall a day or two later which was also recorded, though the double LP (which I still have) was mostly or entirely of the RFH concert. The immediate impression, a few bars into the Meistersinger overture, was of the bowing - in true Stokowski style the LSO violins each bowed as they pleased ....then there was the soloist in the Galzunov violin concerto, Silvia Marcovici, a full 70 years younger than the conductor......Stoko fumbling with the microphone after the Brahms (audible on the LP), John Georgiadis coming to the rescue switching it on for his very short speech, then the Marche Slav encore....one of those concerts which completely blew the audience away, instantaneous standing ovation from the entire hall.

PS - Seabright - less of the "well struck in years", please, I may be going on 69 but I'm still very fit thank you very much
          Your PS made me laugh out loud! ... Anyway, glad to hear that you were at his 90th Birthday Concert and yes, it was repeated the following night to a packed Royal Albert Hall where the audience was treated to several more encores. There was a reception after the RFH concert and John Georgiadis has told an anecdote about that. Stokowski was sitting opposite the 20-year-old Silvia Marcovici and during the dinner he wrote a large question mark on the menu and passed it over to her. She in turn thought for a moment and then passed it back to him, having replied with an equally large exclamation mark! ... Georgiadis incidentally was a great fan of Stokowski and loved his "free-bowing" innovation, as it meant the orchestral strings could achieve the famously refulgent "Stokowski sound." I wonder if any conductors use that method today?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

- Thank you for this!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by seabright View Post
              Your PS made me laugh out loud! ... Anyway, glad to hear that you were at his 90th Birthday Concert and yes, it was repeated the following night to a packed Royal Albert Hall where the audience was treated to several more encores. There was a reception after the RFH concert and John Georgiadis has told an anecdote about that. Stokowski was sitting opposite the 20-year-old Silvia Marcovici and during the dinner he wrote a large question mark on the menu and passed it over to her. She in turn thought for a moment and then passed it back to him, having replied with an equally large exclamation mark! ... Georgiadis incidentally was a great fan of Stokowski and loved his "free-bowing" innovation, as it meant the orchestral strings could achieve the famously refulgent "Stokowski sound." I wonder if any conductors use that method today?
              Probably not Norringrton.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

We are promised a Skellers cameo next week plus CBH and GM ...... The Squire presumably castle hunting in Hull .....

Comment

• DaisyDog
                  • Jun 2016

new scheduling...

Wow! What about the rescheduling of the evening programmes, just started! It’s utterly unbelievable! Now we have 'In Tune' from 5.00pm instead of 4.30pm (OK in itself) but with the dreadful gurning KD instead of the moderately affable Irishman or unsurpassable Skellers, That then leads into the new ‘In Tune Mixtape’, a mindless muzak section filling time before the evening concert. Why are we treated as mindless sheep? Baaaa! It's the 'off' button for me! Then I think I’ll have to emigrate. But to where? Switzerland beckons...

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    We are promised a Skellers cameo next week plus CBH and GM ...... The Squire presumably castle hunting in Hull .....
                    The squire has certainly been bigging up Hull this year - I notice his deputies do not mention Hull in the weather forecast! One morning he mused that Hull could continue to be mentioned even after 2017 is over.

[must be getting a nice little backhander from the Corporation (Hull, not BBC)]

OG

Comment

• Frances_iom
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DaisyDog View Post
                      Wow! What about the rescheduling of the evening programmes, just started! It’s utterly unbelievable!... I’ll have to emigrate. But to where? Switzerland beckons...
                      well R3 was labelled in the press Radio Dignitas - but welcome to the world of ultra cheap radio - it has the adverts already just be thankful as yet no shock jocks or bible bashing.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Wow! What about the rescheduling of the evening programmes, just started! It’s utterly unbelievable! Now we have 'In Tune' from 5.00pm instead of 4.30pm (OK in itself) but with the dreadful gurning KD instead of the moderately affable Irishman or unsurpassable Skellers, That then leads into the new ‘In Tune Mixtape’, a mindless muzak section filling time before the evening concert.
                        "A specially curated mixtape", what's more...

Re KD, I wonder if she might not be better suited to engaging with real people in the studio on In Tune than presenting serious concerts with just a microphone... It could just work. Didn't hear it though.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Quarky
                          • Dec 2010

Wow! What about the rescheduling of the evening programmes, just started! It’s utterly unbelievable! Now we have 'In Tune' from 5.00pm instead of 4.30pm (OK in itself) but with the dreadful gurning KD instead of the moderately affable Irishman or unsurpassable Skellers, That then leads into the new ‘In Tune Mixtape’, a mindless muzak section filling time before the evening concert. Why are we treated as mindless sheep? Baaaa! It's the 'off' button for me! Then I think I’ll have to emigrate. But to where? Switzerland beckons...
                          Ok- we all have our own viewpoints.

My (current) views are:
                          1. Breakfast (to which this thread relates) has improved markedly, and i can listen to long stretches without reaching for the off switch. CB-H this morning was particularly interesting with a Beethoven piece for cello and viola, another piece for two unusual instruments whose name I forget, an orchestral work by Stravinsky, and something by Telemann (I think). Good show!
                          2. I'm prepared to write off Essential Classics and Sunday Morning, but to my surprise, I found myself enjoying in Tune with KD, and the following Mixtape. As someone who has drifted away from the core repertoire over the years (Mozart, Schubert and all that Jazz) I find myself occasionally tempted by short pieces appearing unannounced.
                          3. Sometimes change is a good thing - it shakes us (me) out of habits of listening, and I can listen to music with fresh ears.
                          4. Telemann IS THE MAN to see Radio 3 out of its (apparent) problems.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

I like Breakfast when Petroc is presenting. CB-H, hmmm...
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Skellers tomorrow!

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
                                Ok- we all have our own viewpoints.

My (current) views are:
                                1. Breakfast (to which this thread relates) has improved markedly, and i can listen to long stretches without reaching for the off switch. CB-H this morning was particularly interesting with a Beethoven piece for cello and viola, another piece for two unusual instruments whose name I forget, an orchestral work by Stravinsky, and something by Telemann (I think). Good show!
                                2. I'm prepared to write off Essential Classics and Sunday Morning, but to my surprise, I found myself enjoying in Tune with KD, and the following Mixtape. As someone who has drifted away from the core repertoire over the years (Mozart, Schubert and all that Jazz) I find myself occasionally tempted by short pieces appearing unannounced.
                                3. Sometimes change is a good thing - it shakes us (me) out of habits of listening, and I can listen to music with fresh ears.
                                4. Telemann IS THE MAN to see Radio 3 out of its (apparent) problems.
                                I'm largely with you Vespare .... will give KD a spin this afternoon ..........

Comment

Working...
                                X