Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I also haven't heard it as often in the orchestral version, but that might be because I have the recording in the string quartet version - the Alberni Qt. Interesting CD - it also has the Verdi quartet.
    I used to have that CD (it succumbed to that browning problem, an ASD CD if I remember rightly). I should have heard it live - the leader of a string quartet I heard in Belfast in the 80s announced it as their encore (emphasis on 3rd syllable, they were I think Hungarian) when the young lady playing 2nd violin realised she'd left the music in the dressing room and was about to run offstage to fetch it. The leader suavely gestured her hack to her seat, and said never mind , we play X instead. Curious to hear what we'd missed, I bought the CD.

There seems to be unanimity here

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      I used to have that CD (it succumbed to that browning problem, an ASD CD if I remember rightly). I should have heard it live - the leader of a string quartet I heard in Belfast in the 80s announced it as their encore (emphasis on 3rd syllable, they were I think Hungarian) when the young lady playing 2nd violin realised she'd left the music in the dressing room and was about to run offstage to fetch it. The leader suavely gestured her hack to her seat, and said never mind , we play X instead. Curious to hear what we'd missed, I bought the CD.
      Mine is CRD Records. I'm a bit off late 19th c music atm, so haven't played it recently.

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      There seems to be unanimity here
      I checked in my Italian dictionary and on forvo before committing myself. A psychological flaw: even when I KNOW, I have to check before pronouncing on a subject - had to check that Crisantemi was late 19th c - it's 1890.

[Don't you feel deeply patronised when you mistype your search term and Google ignores the typo but instead adds: Search instead for Criantemi? No!! I just mistyped it. All right? ]
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Rant over: I am a linguist after all (ergo, why isn't everyone else? )
        And of course we should never forget that French broadcasters for the most part have their own insouciant way with foreign languages.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

A psychological flaw: even when I KNOW, I have to check before pronouncing on a subject
          Why on earth do you describe this as a "psychological flaw"??!!

[Don't you feel deeply patronised when you mistype your search term and Google ignores the typo but instead adds: Search instead for Criantemi? No!! I just mistyped it. All right? ]
          Actually, I find it much more annoying when I (accurately) type a search term that Google hasn't heard of, and it suggests that I might have meant a more popular word!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Why on earth do you describe this as a "psychological flaw"??!!
            Over anxiety. Like insisting on checking the pronunciation of crisantemi in two different places (dictionary and forvo) when I already know perfectly well how to pronounce it. Or perhaps it's a lack of confidence, fear of making a mistake? Who knows? But all quite unnecessary.

Are you sayin you tye things acurately and I don't?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Over anxiety. Like insisting on checking the pronunciation of crisantemi in two different places (dictionary and forvo) when I already know perfectly well how to pronounce it. Or perhaps it's a lack of confidence, fear of making a mistake? Who knows? But all quite unnecessary.
              Ah - yes; if an "anxiety", then yes, I see why you'd be annoyed by it.

No - I quite appreciate it when Google gently points out that I have made a typo (it's like having one's own secretary - "Did sir mean ... "). What really annoys me is that it doesn't know the difference between a typo and an obscure word. "Smart" technology? Pah!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                • Apr 2011

If it's any consolation, ff, I did EXACTLY the same

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

#SkellersMissingAlert

Did I just hear that Georgia Mann will present Breakfast all next week ..... ????? .... !!!!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    #SkellersMissingAlert

Did I just hear that Georgia Mann will present Breakfast all next week ..... ????? .... !!!!
                    I think you did!

Not being a weekend Breakfast listener, I am not acquainted with Ms Mann (except through these boards, of course)...

... is that good or bad?

OG

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                      • Jan 2014

Assuming there are 3 weekend presenters, my heart sinks when its not Martin Handley. Tom (the Guitar Man) is slightly ahead of the lady presenter who has no personality, could be reading from a script or scribbled notes someone has shoved at her "here you are - you've got the early slot this weekend at Salford for Radio 3" (I think it comes from Salford but if not I am certain to be corrected here). I'd rather go to the faff of connecting something from the iPlayer through the Chromecast Audio and speakers instead, regardless of whether the music being played on Breakfast might be interesting.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

I thought GM had moved down the list in favour of Rumpole's favourite Elizabeth Alker ..... I prefer EA but IMVVHO neither can hold the proverbial candle to Skellers .....

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

It looks as if CBH hasn't been as frequent as usual and has been messing up the male-female rotation. GM is an experienced broadcaster with - like EAlker - no obvious knowledge of classical music. But she may still be less irritating …
                          Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          I think you did!

Not being a weekend Breakfast listener, I am not acquainted with Ms Mann (except through these boards, of course)...

... is that good or bad?

OG

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

The references to "EA" in the past couple of Posts made me think I'd really missed a treat!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                              • Jan 2014

I must correct myself. The lamentable show put up by radio 3 when Martin Handley is not working did not merit extensive research - the weekend presenter I was thinking of, above, is Ms Alker.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                The references to "EA" in the past couple of Posts made me think I'd really missed a treat!
                                Ne'er mind - a treat in store!

Comment

Working...
                                X