X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Giggles all round at his oblique avoidance of the T word, with references to many people being surprised that morning by... the quantity of rain overnight

or shocked by... the reduction in the number of lumps in a Toblerone bar
    I have it on reliable authority that the official scientific term for process of checking the number of lumps in these things before they leave the factory is Testoblerone...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      I have it on reliable authority that the official scientific term for process of checking the number of lumps in these things before they leave the factory is Testoblerone...
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

On Monday, I drove to Huddersfield to take my oboe to the best repairer in the country. (OK, that's like saying someone is the best composer/conductor/violinist, bit I've made my point.)

I normally take a stack of CDs for the journey, but forgot. Instead, I listened to Breakfast and Essenial Classics. Maybe I was just lucky, but it all seemed so much better. So simpering, no playing of pieces backwards. Even Petroc's fading seems to have been modified, so that only occurs at the end of sentences. We may not be there yet, but surely it's a glimmer of light.

The only real fly in the ointment was the trailer for Parsifal, which sounded like an advert for creamy Galaxy chocolate, rather than this most profound of operas. I couldn't identify the guilty one, but it may have been KD.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          On Monday, I drove to Huddersfield to take my oboe to the best repairer in the country. (OK, that's like saying someone is the best composer/conductor/violinist, bit I've made my point.)

I normally take a stack of CDs for the journey, but forgot. Instead, I listened to Breakfast and Essenial Classics. Maybe I was just lucky, but it all seemed so much better. So simpering, no playing of pieces backwards. Even Petroc's fading seems to have been modified, so that only occurs at the end of sentences. We may not be there yet, but surely it's a glimmer of light.

The only real fly in the ointment was the trailer for Parsifal, which sounded like an advert for creamy Galaxy chocolate, rather than this most profound of operas. I couldn't identify the guilty one, but it may have been KD.
          I think it is getting better EA! I am just going through Skellers week, which I missed, and he has just played a full symphony - you can probably guess which one (not Mahler2) - but a step in the right direction IMVVHO ....

Comment

• DaisyDog
            • Jun 2016

A glimmer of light is good. May the glimmer grow. But I think it is C B-H and not KD that voices that dreadful trailer for Parsifal.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Well having missed the same on Wednesday morning, an early drive to the coast today permitted a listen to Ian Skelly's programme, dowloaded to the iPod in the car, in preference to what was available live...

Giggles all round at his oblique avoidance of the T word, with references to many people being surprised that morning by... the quantity of rain overnight

or shocked by... the reduction in the number of lumps in a Toblerone bar

Also loved his introduction to a piece by "perhaps the greatest of the many great composers from Little Rock, Arkansas"

Due to the hectic life us poor retired people lead I have only just caught up with this .... an absolute classical way to welcome the new #PresidentElect .... everyone IMVVVHO should listen ....
              Last edited by antongould; 29-11-16, 22:05. Reason: Too 'umble

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Due to the hectic life us poor retired people lead I have only just caught up with this .... an absolute classical way to welcome the new #PresidentElect .... everyone IMVVVHO humble opinion should listen ....
                I reckon that at this time of year,all those poor pensioners, who all seem to get up at about 6.00 am for no good reason, could use the time better and make a few bob to eke out their pensions by scraping ice off cars for hard pressed commuters and other workers.
                . Probably worth creating an app to take bookings, along Uber lines.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  I reckon that at this time of year,all those poor pensioners, who all seem to get up at about 6.00 am for no good reason, could use the time better and make a few bob to eke out their pensions by scraping ice off cars for hard pressed commuters and other workers.
                  . Probably worth creating an app to take bookings, along Uber lines.
                  I base the course of my retirement on the life of Arthur Holt ....... Did he have an app ... ???

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

I base the course of my retirement on the life of Arthur Holt ....... Did he have an app ... ???
                    The Lancashire politician,or the Hampshire and Saints Legend,and sports goods tycoon ,AG ?
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      The Lancashire politician,or the Hampshire and Saints Legend,and sports goods tycoon ,AG ?

Your man of course ts .....

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Your man of course ts .....
                        Wise choice AG.
                        Naturally.

( Holt and Haskell dont seem to need an app, so seems like you are right to keep out of that particular field of activity).

Comment

• Mal
                          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Maybe I was just lucky, but it all seemed so much better. So simpering, no playing of pieces backwards. ...
                          You were lucky. I've turned on "Essential Classics" twice this week and it was straight into playing pieces backwards both times, with a simpering, and obviously bored, presenter, and (seemingly) endless lists of names being read out of those who could identify the piece playing backwards.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                            You were lucky. I've turned on "Essential Classics" twice this week and it was straight into playing pieces backwards both times, with a simpering, and obviously bored, presenter, and (seemingly) endless lists of names being read out of those who could identify the piece playing backwards.
                            By the way, as well as The Eternal Breakfast Debate, we also offer Essential Classics - a programme surely on the wrong station which has been running for five years
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• alycidon
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                              Someone, somewhere, has got to stop this idiocy.
                              Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Who is this .... ??? Where is Clemmers .... ??? Do I recognise the newsreader at least .... ????

Comment

Working...
                                X