X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    In recent weeks I have been listening to Ian Skelly on my headphones during my daiuly early morning walks. Very satisfying and an object lesson on how to present a programme. Those that feel the same way should band together and let him know our appreciation.

Excellent another member for the club Rumpole .... we'll be having a Christmas party soon .....

Comment

• DaisyDog
      • Jun 2016

presenters, past and present...

CallMePaul: Calling Susan Sharpe ‘not in the first flush of youth’ is a little unkind. You may be there one day yourself. She still has an exquisite voice. I see that she is now running cultural tours for the ‘discerning traveller’. Good on her. It’s a great shame that we have lost Louise Fryer. She was one of the best and was still in the flush of youth. Perhaps she found a more rewarding career than being a disk jockette at Radio 3. Another great loss has been Catherine Bott who the BBC let fall, inexplicably, into the black hole of Classic FM. But we still have Penny Gore, who remains a regular presenter of Afternoon on Three, thank goodness. The rest, the youth flushed gang, still manage to annoy as many as they please. We will always have disagreements about their merits.

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DaisyDog View Post
        It’s a great shame that we have lost Louise Fryer. She was one of the best and was still in the flush of youth. Perhaps she found a more rewarding career than being a disk jockette at Radio 3.

See https://iris.ucl.ac.uk/iris/browse/profile?upi=LFRYE50

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

In recent weeks I have been listening to Ian Skelly on my headphones during my daiuly early morning walks. Very satisfying and an object lesson on how to present a programme. Those that feel the same way should band together and let him know our appreciation.
          The Controller knows; and I believe word has got back to Mr Skelly (our glorious Administratrix has l think passed it on).

I don't think it's entirely coincidental that he's happily being deployed more of late...

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          Excellent another member for the club Rumpole .... we'll be having a Christmas party soon .....
          I'm getting quotes for some lapel badges
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            I'm getting quotes for some lapel badges
            Count me in...

Old Grumpy on mine or OG if it's cheaper!

OG

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
              Old Grumpy on mine or OG if it's cheaper!
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Zucchini
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                The Controller knows; and I believe word has got back to Mr Skelly (our glorious Administratrix has l think passed it on).

"Good Morning Ian. Not good news I'm afraid. Apparently the old dears on the Radio 3 Forum have been tut tutting and clattering their false teeth and only 5 out of 1401 subscribers say they like your on air chit chat ..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                  "Good Morning Ian. Not good news I'm afraid. Apparently the old dears on the Radio 3 Forum have been tut tutting and clattering their false teeth and only 5 out of 1401 subscribers say they like your on air chit chat ..."

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DaisyDog
                      • Jun 2016

subcontrabass: Good news about Dr. Louise Fryer - Doctor of Philosophy–Psychology at UCL. She is one bright button. Too good for us mortals.
                      Last edited by DaisyDog; 27-10-16, 13:46.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

In recent weeks I have been listening to Ian Skelly
                        You can't move for him this week - all five days in the morning, and introducing 2 evening concerts. Things are definitely looking up!

Apart from everything else, he says "the Wigmore Hall", God bless him.

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
                        Being on a big Havergal Brian kick as I am atm, it's great to see that they played a new-to-me work of his on Breakfast this morning, the Variations on "Has anyone here seen Kelly?" (I believe it derives from his opera The Tigers.)
                        Presumably that's a typo and you mean "Has anyone here seen Skelly?"....?

Comment

• DaisyDog
                          • Jun 2016

Ah yes, the extraordinary Ian Skelly. The doyen of current R3 presenters. It'll be a bit of a let down to retreat to the Cornish pastie next week.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
                            Being on a big Havergal Brian kick as I am atm, it's great to see that they played a new-to-me work of his on Breakfast this morning, the Variations on "Has anyone here seen Kelly?" (I believe it derives from his opera The Tigers.)
                            Your belief is quite correct. Do get the fine transfer of the Radio 3 production of The Tigers. "Has anyone here seen Kelly" is so much better in that context.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DaisyDog View Post
                              ... the Cornish pastie next week.
                              'Tes a pasty with a dash of Worcester Sauce, my 'andsome.

Comment

• Zucchini
                                • Nov 2010

The Cornish pasty (Oggy to the cognoscenti and anyone who plays rugby) has protected status, is crimped and oval. A top crimped pasty cannot legally be called 'Cornish'.

That's exciting isn't it zzzzzzz

Comment

Working...
                                X