Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

I like Petroc as a presenter but what I don't like about the programme is the news.

In my first 100 days as BBC radio controller, I promise to reduce the number of news bulletins on R3 and 6 Music to four a day or take out the news altogether as on R4E.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
      This seems to be an affectation exhibited by a number of presenters, notably Griff Rhys Jones and Paul Martin of Cash in the Attic - who just whispers the end of sentences. It is mightily annoying for everybody, but particularly those of us with defective hearing, and I don't know why the producers don't pull them up for it.
      Monty Don is another who's good at losing chunks of speech.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        I like Petroc as a presenter but what I don't like about the programme is the news.

In my first 100 days as BBC radio controller, I promise to reduce the number of news bulletins on R3 and 6 Music to four a day or take out the news altogether as on R4E.
        I find it quite useful to have the bulletins in the morning as I don't have a newspaper and so can get a quick summary of what's happening, and then if necessary follow up elsewhere. The frequency reduces after 9 am and as the day goes on, as one might expect. Removing the frequently (negatively) mentioned non-functional speech segments( trailers, tweets and other assorted trash) would achieve more than removing the news as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Removing the frequently (negatively) mentioned non-functional speech segments( trailers, tweets and other assorted trash) would achieve more than removing the news as far as I'm concerned.
          A perfect solution.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

I find it quite useful to have the bulletins in the morning as I don't have a newspaper and so can get a quick summary of what's happening.
            ... but you do, I think, have access to the internet & world wide web???

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

I find it quite useful to have the bulletins in the morning as I don't have a newspaper and so can get a quick summary of what's happening, and then if necessary follow up elsewhere. The frequency reduces after 9 am and as the day goes on, as one might expect. Removing the frequently (negatively) mentioned non-functional speech segments( trailers, tweets and other assorted trash) would achieve more than removing the news as far as I'm concerned.
              They are, unnecessarily, every half hour at that time and lengthy, especially on the hour.

My objection is not to the amount of speech but to the news fetish throughout radio. I regard it as a ludicrous imposition - imagine a concert having a news bulletin before it starts, in the interval and as people are leaving the building - in the field of the creative arts. If and when the bomb drops, there would logically be a number of stations for people to concentrate on other matters. One just knows, though, that even Hancock on R4E would be interrupted to ensure everyone is locked in by official decree to the doom and gloom.

It is precisely not how we - just and only because of news constraints - won the last war.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                A perfect solution.
                Here! Here!

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

They are, unnecessarily, every half hour at that time and lengthy, especially on the hour.

My objection is not to the amount of speech but to the news fetish throughout radio. I regard it as a ludicrous imposition - imagine a concert having a news bulletin before it starts, in the interval and as people are leaving the building - in the field of the creative arts. If and when the bomb drops, there would logically be a number of stations for people to concentrate on other matters. One just knows, though, that even Hancock on R4E would be interrupted to ensure everyone is locked in by official decree to the doom and gloom.

It is precisely not how we - just and only because of news constraints - won the last war.
                  News is bad for you. It leads to fear and aggression. It hinders your creativity and makes you sick. We should stop consuming it, says Rolf Dobelli, who's abstained for years

Lat, on the subject above, do try The Scars version of " Your attention Please", ( and the album it comes from). On youtube.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

When do you start in office?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...d-rolf-dobelli

Lat, on the subject above, do try The Scars version of " Your attention Please", ( and the album it comes from). On youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlro2TAHNvk
                      Those are great - many thanks.

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      When do you start in office?

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        ... but you do, I think, have access to the internet & world wide web???
                        I had a feeling somebody would point that out! I do but it doesn't lend itself to getting on with something else at the same time(such as eating breakfast or trying to get recalcitrant joints to work) in the way that listening to the radio does in the morning. Firing up the PC takes time, I don't eat at the keyboard, sitting down to use it is not always comfortable at the beginning of the day.
                        If the bulletins were to be removed I wouldn't kick up a fuss about it, but I do find them useful first thing. Later in the day I would be quite happy to do without, and in any case usually do as I'm busy with other things rather than listening to the radio.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                          • Mar 2013

I had a feeling somebody would point that out! I do but it doesn't lend itself to getting on with something else at the same time(such as eating breakfast or trying to get recalcitrant joints to work) in the way that listening to the radio does in the morning. Firing up the PC takes time, I don't eat at the keyboard, sitting down to use it is not always comfortable at the beginning of the day.
                          If the bulletins were to be removed I wouldn't kick up a fuss about it, but I do find them useful first thing. Later in the day I would be quite happy to do without, and in any case usually do as I'm busy with other things rather than listening to the radio.
                          Simpler still would be turning the dial to Radio 4.
                          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

I am at peace with The Squire and the News but my fear is that he has had so much fun in the pop-up and on his increasingly frequent strolls "outside" that he will hand his notice in on Monday and pick up the microphone in a hop on hop off London bus.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              I am at peace with The Squire and the News but my fear is that he has had so much fun in the pop-up and on his increasingly frequent strolls "outside" that he will hand his notice in on Monday and pick up the microphone in a hop on hop off London bus.
                              He may not need to hand in his notice, if that's the next R3 outreach project
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Don't go giving them ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X