X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
    Are we to assume that CB-H has moved on? I say that, intending no "side". She can do what she likes, similarly offered with no side. Also, could someone enlighten as to why PT is called The Squire here. Ta in advance.
    Try Treasure Island!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
      Are we to assume that CB-H has moved on? I say that, intending no "side". She can do what she likes, similarly offered with no side. Also, could someone enlighten as to why PT is called The Squire here. Ta in advance.
      I can answer the second bit: Squire Trelawney (with two e's) was a character in Treasure Island - just a bit of antongould's whimsy. No explanation for the long absence of CBH.

Hah! cloughie first off the mark
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I can answer the second bit: Squire Trelawney (with two e's) was a character in Treasure Island - just a bit of antongould's whimsy. No explanation for the long absence of CBH.

Hah! cloughie first off the mark
        Mercia's whimsy actually .... and it does seem Breakfast belongs to the Squire now, and IMVVHO - all the better for it ....

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

The Squire mentioned yoga on the terrace this morning. Unwelcome images of a lycra-clad man with beard sporting various poses were hard to shift.

It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Mercia's whimsy actually .... and it does seem Breakfast belongs to the Squire now, and IMVVHO - all the better for it ....
            All credit to mercia, then (hastily trying to bury Throppers' Man in Lycra ) …
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              ......and it does seem Breakfast belongs to the Squire now, and IMVVHO - all the better for it ....

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Looking back to 1997, Morning on 3 On Air had spells of weekly alternating (McGregor/Gore), McGregor only and various combinations with no obvious pattern. Later there became a pretty fixed pattern of all regular morning programmes having two presenters, alternating - man/woman. That seems to have been a very 'R3 thing' because both Radio 1 and Radio 2 have had single presenters. I think 6 Music does too.

Comment

• Paulie55
                  • Jan 2012

PT's lack of voice projection

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  He just needs to punctuate his script. Then he'll gasp in the correct places.
                  And why does PT often lower the volume of his voice at the end of a long paragraph? I can't hear what he says at times,
                  so maybe he is running out of breath. Then again, the hallowed(!!) Rob Cowan often talks without punctuating sentences
                  and adopts a kind of "laughing" intonation when something (not very)funny has been said.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Paulie55 View Post
                    And why does PT often lower the volume of his voice at the end of a long paragraph? I can't hear what he says at times,
                    so maybe he is running out of breath. Then again, the hallowed(!!) Rob Cowan often talks without punctuating sentences
                    and adopts a kind of "laughing" intonation when something (not very)funny has been said.

My favourite moment today was hearing Robert Casadesus playing "Bourée Fantasque" by Chabrier.

It was the name really.

An extraordinarily talented family what with historically and/or currently Henri, Marius and Robert-Guillaume Casadesus and Dominique Probst, son of the great and very lovely actress Gisele Casadesus-Probst who is now a wonderful 102 and 3.75 months, being composers, Jean and Gaby being pianists, Jean-Claude a conductor and Christian an actor.

Giselle in the role of a woman younger than her actual age - the character is 95 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Qm_nDvpZ0
                    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 07-10-16, 00:17.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I suspect it's some they've been told to do so at some stage.

"Please ensure there are no breaks in your dialogue" or words to that effect?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                        • Mar 2013

An impromptu rhapsody on the 'parade of workers' by the Squire with commentary on their apparel and musings on where they might be headed and whether they were carrying a spare shirt for after the gym. Where was this surreal spiel heading? As a lead-in to Sondheim's 'Another Hundred People', of course! Ah, Squire! Ah, humanity!
                        It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Anyone else hear the commentary by EM Forster on the Third Programme on the archive feature on In Tune yesterday? "All music, no words" - or something to that effect.

Edit: well almost! It was actually the news (or that there should be a lack of it) that caught my ear - excerpt here - around 02:35. [See #6616]

OG
                          Last edited by Old Grumpy; 07-10-16, 13:39. Reason: Correction and insertion of link

Comment

• DaisyDog
                            • Jun 2016

I agree. You are not alone about PT. I have heard this comment from other listeners too. He has not got a natural radio voice and is often hard to understand. A bit of a gabbler, but not as extreme as TS. Both quite unlike the more gifted voices of PG 1, PG 2, and SS. They are radio gems and not heard often enough.

Comment

• alycidon
                              • Feb 2013

And why does PT often lower the volume of his voice at the end of a long paragraph?.
                              This seems to be an affectation exhibited by a number of presenters, notably Griff Rhys Jones and Paul Martin of Cash in the Attic - who just whispers the end of sentences. It is mightily annoying for everybody, but particularly those of us with defective hearing, and I don't know why the producers don't pull them up for it.
                              Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                                This seems to be an affectation exhibited by a number of presenters, notably Griff Rhys Jones and Paul Martin of Cash in the Attic - who just whispers the end of sentences. It is mightily annoying for everybody, but particularly those of us with defective hearing, and I don't know why the producers don't pull them up for it.
                                Hiya alycidon,

Trained actors make a point of enunciating their word endings clearly sometimes even accentuating the endings.

Comment

Working...
                                X