X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    ... the Squire had an interesting discussion with his seven listeners on favourite short novels .... a man of culture indeed ......
    ... o, pur-lease!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

the Squire had an interesting discussion with his seven listeners
      Have a catch-up with the first half-hour today, anton - His Squireness dealt briefly and decisively with one of the Seven who had dared to twitter that "Bach before 7" was boring and repetitive ("like Groundhog Day")...

... and could there please be other "Composers before 7"...

His Squireship moved on swiftly via a contrary tweet to play... some Bach. It was handled sufficiently deftly so as not to be intrusive - and was the only 'interactivity' I heard...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I know it's the dreaded chatter but a couple of days ago the Squire had an interesting discussion with his seven listeners on favourite short novels .... a man of culture indeed ......
        That would be exactly what I wouldn't appreciate. Just like Essential Classics. If I wanted to listen to music, I would listen to a music programme. I would indeed be interested in a programme about 'short novels', but it would have to be at least 45 minutes long, preferably a series of at least three and properly structured. It would not contain comments from individuals (celebrities or not) about their 'favourites'. But it's all right: my preferences may safely be ignored as I don't listen anyway. I'm merely adding my comments here as I believe I am still entitled to do
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

.... more than entitled ... born to ....

Comment

• Daniel
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Blimey, Breakfast is miles better these days than it used to be!
            I'd agree from the few times I've dipped into eternal breakfast recently. Certainly better than the, 'Do you like carrots? Have you ever seen one? Do tweet us and let us know. Now here's Brahms Lullaby,' kind of thing I've heard in the past.

(Off topic, but the BBC Singers also seem improved in 2016, or did so the 3 or 4 times I've happened upon them in live performance recently. I previously suffered something of a nervous tic involving the off switch with them, and would be happy to see that become something of the past. The problem for me was an overbearing vibrato which, like overdressing a salad, quickly makes sth lovely very unlovely.)

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Does anyone else do Breakfast now or have I missed the announcement that it is now Early Morning With Squire T ... ???
              Worked himself into a rare lather of excitement this morning playing the 20 minutes plus of Brandenburg 5 as his Bach Before 7 and announcing a new Music Box which is thinking of the number 3 laterally .... or some such.
              I predict by Friday he will explode .....

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Does anyone else do Breakfast now or have I missed the announcement that it is now Early Morning With Squire T ... ???
                Worked himself into a rare lather of excitement this morning playing the 20 minutes plus of Brandenburg 5 as his Bach Before 7 and announcing a new Music Box which is thinking of the number 3 laterally .... or some such.
                I predict by Friday he will explode .....
                I am just amazed anyone listens to it . I never listen to Radio 3 before the Lunchtime Concert now.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

It was really bizarre to see Petroc's pic illustrating the last Guardian article, and referring to R3's Breakfast

A daily cantata might be good for Bbef7.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    I am just amazed anyone listens to it . I never listen to Radio 3 before the Lunchtime Concert now.
                    I would refer the Hon. Member to answer #6549 above - might be worth a try! It is improving.

But what is anton on about - no sign of renaming that I can see. Have I missed a gem of gouldian humour?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

But what is anton on about - no sign of renaming that I can see. Have I missed a gem of gouldian humour?
                      He referreth, I imagine, to the fact that young Mr T will have presided 7 weeks in a row, interrupted by the merest tinge of Mr Skelly.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        He referreth, I imagine, to the fact that young Mr T will have presided 7 weeks in a row, interrupted by the merest tinge of Mr Skelly.
                        I was indeed - nor any sign of his regular "partner" .......

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

...... and I see he is doing next week too - from whatever a pop up studio is .....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

...... and I see he is doing next week too - from whatever a pop up studio is .....
                            A glass cube in the RFH foyer.

Come to London and tug your forelock as the Squire passes among his early-bird breakfasters

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

A glass cube in the RFH foyer.

Come to London and tug your forelock as the Squire passes among his early-bird breakfasters
                              You cockneys know how to live ......

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

I might even try listening again on weekdays in that case... (although I would prefer Skellers in less than homeopathic dilution).

Comment

Working...
                                X