Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Can I take it from this that you are not a regular listener to Radio 4's Tweet of the day? It's been going a few years now and moved on from just birds found in the UK to those from all over the world. They even have contributors to this forum there.
    I've only caught it very occasionally. Thanks! It was AD's reference to "birdsong" that I was querying!

I tried the hen harrier/red grouse clips which don't seem to be working - presumably their juxtaposition was not accidental

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      I've only caught it very occasionally. Thanks! It was AD's reference to "birdsong" that I was querying!

I tried the hen harrier/red grouse clips which don't seem to be working - presumably their juxtaposition was not accidental
      Strange. I have just tried them and both worked, responding quickly to a click on the iPlayer 'speaker' icon.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I wonder who is, erm, curating the recordings for them
        Now don't be naughty.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Strange. I have just tried them and both worked, responding quickly to a click on the iPlayer 'speaker' icon.
          just tried again - red grouse working, but not hen harrier. I played in a cricket match in the grounds of Stormont Castle in the 1980s, between public and private sector nature conservation staff - the latter were batting, lounging on the boundary we heard one of the batsmen shout "Go back, go back" - my RSPB colleague looked around and said "I didn't know there were red grouse here"

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

just tried again - red grouse working, but not hen harrier.
            Chris Packham loud and clear (talking about the hen harrier). No controversy
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

just tried again - red grouse working
              Not being a twitcher, I just checked... the black is working too....

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

“And if you have never heard a nightingale before this will bring magic into your life.”
                Except that it was a song thrush.....
                Or perhaps 'Essex nightingale', as it was introduced a few days ago, is a regional term for song thrush in those parts.

Comment

• DaisyDog
                  • Jun 2016

If the Radio 3 Controller really said “And if you have never heard a nightingale before this will bring magic into your life" perhaps someone should intercede to correctly identify the avian warblers.
                  Even I can tell the difference between a song thrush and a pigeon. Bring on the nightingales! And the magic.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by DaisyDog View Post
                    If the Radio 3 Controller really said “And if you have never heard a nightingale before this will bring magic into your life" perhaps someone should intercede to correctly identify the avian warblers.
                    Even I can tell the difference between a song thrush and a pigeon. Bring on the nightingales! And the magic.
                    Magic FM?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      is it now the Petroc Breakfast Experience with substitutes on West Country holidays ... ????
                      Well, possibly thanks to a cheeky long weekend getaway for the Squire, today will be Skell-ectrically good, we can be confident, anton

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Well, possibly thanks to a cheeky long weekend getaway for the Squire, today will be Skell-ectrically good, we can be confident, anton
                        Funny that I missed your regular 02:30 post Rumpole ... but here I am living every moment ........

Comment

• muzzer
                          • Nov 2013

Yes, it's Skellers..."Those of you with children at this weekend's Reading festival may be relieved to learn that your washing machines will be spared mud as the forecast is, for once, sunny" and other such gems......

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            As IS put it, PT is 'in make-up' as he is presenting the BBC4 prom broadcast tonight. IS is doing the radio broadcast, which clearly doesn't require him to spend the whole day in preparation....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                              As IS put it, PT is 'in make-up' as he is presenting the BBC4 prom broadcast tonight.
                              ... yes, caught that! "Preparing for his close-ups" said IS....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Cripes it's all a bit cheery cheery Irish Irish today, isn't it...

Comment

Working...
                                X