• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    not just a puddle, but four whole Roman fountains !
    Have just negotiated fountain-sized puddles (flash flooding) to get to the sorting office to collect a parcel, and was delighted that the whole of Stravinsky's octet was on offer!
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 20-06-16, 11:40. Reason: Correction (misspelling), though already quoted! :sadface:

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Have just negoiated fountain-sized puddles (flash flooding) to get to the sorting office to collect a parcel, and was delighted that the whole of Stravinsky's octet was on offer!
      That was on Essential Classics; but I think it's fair to say that the fare provided on Breakfast has improved markedly (in variety, interest and length) since the change at the top.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
        That was on Essential Classics; but I think it's fair to say that the fare provided on Breakfast has improved markedly (in variety, interest and length) since the change at the top.
        Oops! Of course it was. After 9, when the sorting office opens (really convenient opening hours for people who work normal hours, not!).
        Should have realised, as it was RC doing the introduction.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Have just negoiated fountain-sized puddles (flash flooding) to get to the sorting office to collect a parcel, and was delighted that the whole of Stravinsky's octet was on offer!
          But it was wry smiles all round when Rob Cowan (yep it was a late breakfast here too, Pulcie ) announced proudly that tomorrow he will be featuring Mahler 6 "and playing the WHOLE...

... of the finale"
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            But it was wry smiles all round when Rob Cowan (yep it was a late breakfast here too, Pulcie ) announced proudly that tomorrow he will be featuring Mahler 6 "and playing the WHOLE...

... of the finale"
            Yes I heard that, composed a sarcy post and then thought better of it!

We of course had the whole of 5 on Sunday Morning yesterday....time for JS to nip off for a fry-up in the canteen.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              Yes I heard that, composed a sarcy post and then thought better of it!

We of course had the whole of 5 on Sunday Morning yesterday....time for JS to nip off for a fry-up in the canteen.
              Or as Martin Handley said (approximately) to JS: 'I hope you've got a lot of newspapers.' Rather giving the game away there, Martin.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

... of the finale"
                It could be worse. Tom Service might have played the whole symphony - and talked over it.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

... of the finale"
                  Hiya Caliban,

These days with Radio 3 I suppose we have to be thankful for small mercies!

Comment

• bb

For those still listening in bed during the Breakfast programme, an embedded composer might make good company, even on Monday mornings!

BBC Radio 3 - In Tune - Suzy Klein announces Matthew Kaner as BBC Radio 3’s Embedded: Composer in 3

For those who have already risen, it might make a sensible place to leave Matthew, although it is encouraging that at least for seventy days after the Third's seventieth birthday, Breakfast will be taking contemporary classical music more seriously.

BBC - Media Centre - A 70-day music commission and Radio 3 debut work among commissions for 70th anniversary of Third Programme

The Eternal Breakfast Debate will, by definition, never be over, even in an old place. But if it is a debate about pioneering new music, Radio 3 is to be applauded.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

The chumminess of presenters on Breakfast programmes, across the BBC radio and TV network, is something that has been remakes upon many times, with suggestions that far from involving the listeners it actually excludes then from the "club". In Tesco this afternoon, I experienced much the same thing. One of the assistants at the checkout was serving me, but was chatting to whoever was working on the checkout behind her. This has happened to nearly everyone from time to time, and it's generally acknowledged to be rather rude. But they're on low paid jobs, so perhaps a little understanding is in order.

What's the excuse when the weather reporter makes some irrelevant (to the viewers) comment to the co-presenters? Institutional ill manners?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

No complaints about Martyn Handley this morning.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          It's taken a self-imposed post-referendum ban on early morning Radio 4 to drive me to try Radio 3 again, though I even denied myself that dubious pleasure till just now (usually listening to something from shipping forecast time!). I do still wish that there wasn't so much chat. Might move my internet radio into the bedroom.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            What's with the new avatar Alpie - when can we have the Matterhorn back?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              What's with the new avatar Alpie - when can we have the Matterhorn back?
                              When I wake up and discover the referendum was just a horrific nightmare. (This one is Voldemort's Dark Mark, which first appeared in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at the Quiddich World Cup, when it was set up by Barty Gove Jr. )

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Ah! I'll just go on seeking solace in the 16thC. Victoria just starting.....

Comment

Working...
                                X