• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
    I note that Breakfast has a new presenter this weekend: Elizabeth Alker, whose previous experience has been as a DJ on 6Music. I note that she has 'liked' a comment on her Facebook page reading: 'Will you be taking requests for Joy Division etc? The Radio 3 grumpy old listeners association will love that!'
    So, let us all welcome her with a completely open mind.....

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Oh, dear. I am actually rather irritated by this regular cross-culture with 6 Music presenters (though I've never heard of this one) on Radio 3 presenting classical music alongside their own musical favourites . If some had their way they'd all move in on Radio 3 and anyone with any knowledge of classical music would be asked to move on.
      Some other FB comments for your delight then:
      'Wow! Hope it goes well. What happens on Radio 3?'
      'Does mean (sic) Radio 3 is cool now?'
      'Going to rock Radio 3!'
      'Am I allowed to request Hip-Hop?'

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

It's quite strange that the 6 Music listeners queued up to congratulate her on - what? being promoted to Radio 3? It seems very odd to show approval for an insult at your future audience:

Just joshing, of course
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

I would be surprised if Joy Division, ( other than their one hit single) get much airplay on the 6 music Breakfast show.
          Might be a bit edgy ,despite being music from the better part of 40 years ago.
          Anyway, perhaps this will be an " experiment" that works well.

( fails to find " not holding breath "smiley.....)
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Anyway, perhaps this will be an " experiment" that works well.

( fails to find " not holding breath "smiley.....)
            Yes, as a professional broadcaster, she may deliver her script very well. But the only other regular import from elsewhere on the BBC seems even to find difficulty reading a script. And as for doing a bit of research beforehand
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Yes, as a professional broadcaster, she may deliver her script very well. But the only other regular import from elsewhere on the BBC seems even to find difficulty reading a script. And as for doing a bit of research beforehand
              Sadly your last point applies to a few R3 regulars as well.

( why does" quite a few" signify more than "a few", whereas it is the opposite with 'lot'.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• muzzer
                • Nov 2013

I thought the cross-over with 6Music - last year? - was vomit-inducing, but that may just have been Mary-Anne Hobbs fawning at Martin Handley as if "classical music" was some mythic beast nobody had seen since Elvis went home from shopping one afternoon with his DIY record and a quiff. Obv there's a much longer post to be written about how "rock n roll" the music of rebellion has long been assimilated well past the point of tedious hegemony but to be honest I'm not in the mood. I'm enjoying Breakfast this morning so far and am more than happy to give Elizabeth Alker the benefit of the doubt which is generated by my intrinsic prejudice, and so, I suggest, might we all, at least for a while til we've heard what she's played. I hope her 6Music listeners are having their timelines lengthened by a bit of the old Ludwig Van and their biorhythms knocked out of 4/4 to the floor amplified tedium.

PS the Northern thing is plainly because the Beeb has decreed the show must be produced from Salford at the weekends and is only able to persuade MH up there occasionally.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

A solid and competent performance IMVVHO - choice of music marginally different from MH but fine with me at least ....

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    A solid and competent performance IMVVHO - choice of music marginally different from MH but fine with me at least ....
                    I agree. Didn't catch it all, but what I heard was pretty good. No unnecessary effusion, no embarrassing give-away mispronunciations that I heard (and she passed the 'Ralph' test). And the choice of music was in keeping with the trend towards including more challenging repertoire in the programme. (Lutosławski Concerto for Oboe and Harp third movement in the last half hour for example, celebrating Heinz Holliger's birthday).
                    A very solid first outing.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Sounds like good news. Avoiding the flaws of some of the regulars is a pretty good start. And (at the risk of sounding horribly patronising ) if she's supported and nurtured by Radio 3, there's no reason why she shouldn't <gasp> become a favourite with the listeners.

Pity we can't post on her Facebook page without an invitation, and FoR3 can't anyway. But we can post on ours

Incidentally, I doubt that she chose the music herself - I seem to remember Martin Handley(?) saying he didn't until he'd settled in.
                      Last edited by french frank; 21-05-16, 14:37.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                        I'm enjoying Breakfast this morning so far and am more than happy to give Elizabeth Alker the benefit of the doubt which is generated by my intrinsic prejudice, and so, I suggest, might we all, at least for a while til we've heard what she's played.
                        Obviously I have no prejudices whatsoever and thought Elizabeth Alker made an excellent start today.

But now I've know where she's come from, I must acknowledge I was completely and utterly wrong!

I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          Obviously I have no prejudices whatsoever and thought Elizabeth Alker made an excellent start today.

But now I've know where she's come from, I must acknowledge I was completely and utterly wrong!

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post

As a fine old man I sent her a supportive Facebook message and got a very nice and swift reply ... I think she said she was back next week ... ????

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              As a fine old man I sent her a supportive Facebook message and got a very nice and swift reply ... I think she said she was back next week ... ????
                              Yes, she did. And what I heard of Sunday's programme confirmed my positive impression from Saturday.

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

not just a puddle, but four whole Roman fountains !

Comment

Working...
                                X