X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Do we think that tracks from Mr Karadaglić's new recording would have a place at the Breakfast table?

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
      Actually, I agree that Radio 3 wan't the best place for it
      I had a brief Proustian nightmare of a summer holiday in Weston-super-Mare, where the guests were constantly playing the Andrews Sisters singing 'Her Bathing Suit Never Got Wet' (For there on the beach was a fella, And he had the cutest umbrella, So Her …) on the Radiogram And I was only about 4. As far as this song is concerned, I can't often get worked up about the odd 'sport' that turns up now and again (and haven't listened to Breakfast for years, other than 'monitoring') and would have been blissfully unaware of it if others hadn't mentioned it And I would have been nearly as sniffy about the original version turning up - ugh! as far as I'm concerned! Slushy goo. But that's just me

But, getting back to the quote above, 'It' was appalling. But I bet they look out for more occasions to play the Puppini Sisters because 'so many people' (i.e. 6) emailed in to say how much they enjoyed it. In fact, if you want the best chance of getting your request played atm - ask for the Puppini Sisters. Mark my words!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Do we think that tracks from Mr Karadaglić's new recording would have a place at the Breakfast table?
        Yes, hélas, given it's the unbeatable combination of a classical guitarist palying post-Schubertian classical Lieder settings.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          the Puppini Sisters
          Had never heard of them, let alone heard them. Can't see Mr Skelly brooking them on his watch, which is the only time I listen to 'Breakfast', so it may well stay that way (save for debates here )

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Much better this morning with Martin Handley at the helm. Less waffle, no gasping and no simpering. Longer excerpts too. Credit where it's due.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

We are in Skellersland ........

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                We are in Skellersland ........
                Another visit scheduled for tomorrow morning as well

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

A very happy Lunchtime listening to Skellers on Breakfast (hurrah for technology) - as ever a treat. I just love him.

For one thing, the choice of music seems (based on this and the one I heard in its entirety last week) to be a cut above the usual Clammy and Wet standard.

And then the seasoning of skellyisms e.g. the comment about the Sandbach school class who listen to Breakfast during morning study periods ("they must fly by"); and about some listener's school orchestra performance years ago of the Dukas ("grown men still weep at the memory of it")

Trouble is, I like Mr Skelly too much to suggest that he should do it every day - what a curse to put on anyone, to ask that they be ready to broadcast live from 6.30 every day

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Another visit scheduled for tomorrow morning as well
                    It makes a welcome change talking about two excellent presenters Martin Handley and Ian Skelly than some of the awful dross served up by some lesser competent presenters.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

A very happy Lunchtime listening to Skellers on Breakfast (hurrah for technology) - as ever a treat. I just love him.

For one thing, the choice of music seems (based on this and the one I heard in its entirety last week) to be a cut above the usual Clammy and Wet standard.

And then the seasoning of skellyisms e.g. the comment about the Sandbach school class who listen to Breakfast during morning study periods ("they must fly by"); and about some listener's school orchestra performance years ago of the Dukas ("grown men still weep at the memory of it")

Trouble is, I like Mr Skelly too much to suggest that he should do it every day - what a curse to put on anyone, to ask that they be ready to broadcast live from 6.30 every day
                      I tend to agree Rumpole - Friday Breakfast with Skellers would suit me fine ....

Comment

• Rosie55
                        • Oct 2011

Jonathan Dove request was played today on Breakfast!

Sit down folks, one of my requests was played on today's Breakfast Show!
                        An excellent new Naxos CD of song cycles by Jonathan Dove. Mezzo Patricia Bardon and pianist Andrew Matthews Owen.
                        Could it really have occurred?!
                        Hope the disc gets more airing as a result, its a gem! Hope all are well here - haven't logged in for a bit, but thought I would restore the faith of kindred spirits here I've spoken to who feel requests are rarely honoured:
                        Ian Skelly presents Radio 3's classical breakfast show, with listener requests.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Rosie55 View Post
                          Sit down folks, one of my requests was played on today's Breakfast Show!
                          An excellent new Naxos CD of song cycles by Jonathan Dove. Mezzo Patricia Bardon and pianist Andrew Matthews Owen.
                          Could it really have occurred?!
                          Hope the disc gets more airing as a result, its a gem! Hope all are well here - haven't logged in for a bit, but thought I would restore the faith of kindred spirits here I've spoken to who feel requests are rarely honoured:
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0745bbm

That Mr Skellers, such a nice man!

OG

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            ....... two excellent presenters Martin Handley and Ian Skelly ................
                            If only it would come to pass that they share the 7 early mornings in the week. At last some reason to listen to R3 rather than put "Today" on (and off, in frustration, not infrequently - when i just tolerate silence for a while...) .

Comment

• Rosie55
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

That Mr Skellers, such a nice man!

OG
                              I have been off and on there, and today was my first full listen to him. Like!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

And then the seasoning of skellyisms e.g. the comment about the Sandbach school class who listen to Breakfast during morning study periods ("they must fly by")
                                I do wonder whether the music revision class are really in school at 0725! Perhaps they are also devotees of iplayer technology

OG

Comment

Working...
                                X