• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Change of topic...sorry...but who exactly is this Victoria person who's been 'hosting' Breakfast this weekend? Out of the UK's 65 million citizens, one would have thought it possible to find someone who did not speak - like - a - Dalek and who would be able to deliver a script without fluffing? OK, a bit harsh I know, but.......
    My theory is that she gets to do the weekends because she lives near Salford which is where the weekend Breakfast is broadcast from. She is a broadcaster who is heard most often (I think) on Radio 5 Live.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      My theory is that she gets to do the weekends because she lives near Salford which is where the weekend Breakfast is broadcast from. She is a broadcaster who is heard most often (I think) on Radio 5 Live.
      OK, so BBC use someone from Personchester on the grounds that her travelling expenses are compatible with the kinds of cutback to which we're all expected to remain accustomed for at least the next few hundred years; I see. I've not heard her, by the way, so cannot pass further comment.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Good, 'cos I'm from Salford and I don't speak like a dalek.

There's a perception, encouraged by the BBC, that everyone in the country speaks with a regional accent. There are thousands of men and women living in the Manchester/Salford area, who can speak "well". I dare say the same applies to other cities around Britain - even Middlesbrough (but we get Steph McGovern all the same).

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Good, 'cos I'm from Salford and I don't speak like a dalek.

There's a perception, encouraged by the BBC, that everyone in the country speaks with a regional accent. There are thousands of men and women living in the Manchester/Salford area, who can speak "well". I dare say the same applies to other cities around Britain - even Middlesbrough (but we get Steph McGovern all the same).
          We must not forget our new Leader is a Smoggie .....

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            ...There's a perception, encouraged by the BBC, that everyone in the country speaks with a regional accent. There are thousands of men and women living in the Manchester/Salford area, who can speak "well"...
            Am I to conclude that someone who speaks with a regional accent speaks badly?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              We must not forget our new Leader is a Smoggie .....
              I didn't know that.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                Am I to conclude that someone who speaks with a regional accent speaks badly?
                Of course not, but I suspect the BBC are choosing the wrong ones - like the crass continuity announcer who introduced War and Peace at 9.00 p.m. today (and Steph of course). Maybe it's tokenism gone badly wrong.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I'd like to emphasise that I am not complaining about a regional accent! In fact I didn't even notice a regional accent. It was the halting style of delivery and inability to negotiate text without frequent fumbles that I found disconcerting.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I'd like to emphasise that I am not complaining about a regional accent! In fact I didn't even notice a regional accent. It was the halting style of delivery and inability to negotiate text without frequent fumbles that I found disconcerting.
                    In any case, I said I think she LIVES near Salford. But she appears to have very little familiarity with classical music (remember Pierre Boolay?) which possibly accounts for the hesitancy.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                      • Jan 2014

In any case, I said I think she LIVES near Salford. But she appears to have very little familiarity with classical music (remember Pierre Boolay?) which possibly accounts for the hesitancy.
                      As to Ian Skelly vs Martin Handley (and thanks to Martin if he treks to Salford in the cause of Sunday Morning.....)
                      Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      A delight to hear him. If Martin Handley isn't rostered, he's a very acceptable alternative...... He doesn't sound like someone who's been told "Its only Sunday morning, here's a script with what to say, off you go.....".
                      'twas her I had in mind, and yes I heard the halting, uncomprehending delivery......(but not for long, I turned the radio off altogether this morning).

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

I don't remember actually hearing this but do recall some discussion of - or at least reference to - MaƮtre Pierre's half-step-sister Patti somewhere...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I don't understand why the weekend Breakfast comes from Salford and the rest of the week from London, unless Radio 3 gets booted out of its studio at the weekends for some other programme. At any rate, there have been various signs that Radio 3 has been under some strain to find presenters for the weekends. We've had local radio presenters from Radio York and Radio Merseyside (VM apparently lives in Cheshire). Martin has a life apart from Radio 3/BBC and presumably can't be asked to do every weekend.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

At any rate, there have been various signs that Radio 3 has been under some strain to find presenters for the weekends
                            Er...they presumably get paid? And going back to my original post, forget the 65 million nationwide, surely someone in Greater Manchester (a) knows a bit about music (b) can read aloud fluently and (c) wants a job?

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... the 'Salford Weekends' seem to be run by a couple of escapees from hospital radio - Victoria Meakin and Tom McInney.

No, we really expect better of this channel

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Er...they presumably get paid? And going back to my original post, forget the 65 million nationwide, surely someone in Greater Manchester (a) knows a bit about music (b) can read aloud fluently and (c) wants a job?
                                I don't think it's the kind of job they just advertise for someone, interview and appoint.

Tom McKinney is better qualified than some (and has perhaps improved?). But a couple of other BBC presenters who were geographically well placed, and sometimes introduce the evening concert as well, will probably never be much good: the BBC couldn't just say, 'Would you mind boning up on a bit of classical music, please, as it's Radio 3?' If they've shown little or no interest up to their 40s they're not going to pick up much now just to do a new job. But perhaps the producers could build programmes around what the presenter has just learnt?

The thing about the presenter we've recently been discussing is that she IS an experienced broadcaster. But put a script in front of her that might as well be about oblique case-marking in Indo-Aryan and the ums and ers proliferate.

Comment

Working...
                                X