The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born

It's a little-known fact that Sibelius had a library of books dedicated to popular singers. He certainly had two on Ella.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Strauss/Rosenkavalier, Kodaly, The Laughing Policeman, Arensky, Purcell: after that it's hard to think of anything that would constitute a 'surprise' ...

Anyone catch a weekend presenter's comment that, since Sibelius didn't die until 1957 'he will have listened to Elvis'?

[Wife to 90-year-old Sibelius: 'Jean, drop what you're doing and come quickly, they're playing Elvis on Radio 1.'
      With apologies to Barry Fantoni]
      Sorry to be pedantic but Radio 1 did not exist in 1957. Turning the tables, however, had Elvis embraced Sibelius we may have had the Finnish Trilogy or even Gracelandia!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
        Gracelandia!

It's a little-known fact that Sibelius had a library of books dedicated to popular singers. He certainly had two on Ella.
        Well, yes, Ella, Elvis, y'know ... Actually, Ella's recordings go back to 1936 when JS was a mere septuagenarian ...

I do have a certain 'sympathy' with, or understanding of, the thought: 'Wow! Sibelius didn't die until 1957 and I'd always imagined him as one of the old classical composers.' Not sure that I would expect an R3 presenter to have one of those 'wow' moments though!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I shall never forget the headlines, in more than one paper of the day.....'Sibelius dies as Sargent conducts his 5th Symphony'. MS, who was actually a very good Sibelian, was conducting I think, on Finnish Radio at the time. KCII would know.............where is he?

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
            • Nov 2010

When Rob announced that he was looking for suggestions for "happy" records today my mind immediately turned to "The Laughing Policeman" and then I thought "Nah, R3 would never play that!"

Oh, how wrong could I be. Welcome to Uncle Mac's (Rob's) Children's Hour everyone.

Also good to hear our Sean banging out Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet once again. and thrice
            O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

neither know nor care if Sibelius knew Elvis, but if i hear that march one more bl**dy time i will happily introduce the whole production team to both of them ....
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                Also good to hear our Sean banging out Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet once again. and thrice
                playlists are cheaper than researchers - after all it's drive time and the audience is supposed to be concentrating on driving not listening to the show.

Re Breakfast I now tend to switch off after 10mins (even quicker on weekends) - probably excellent hospital style radio but not what interests me.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Particularly awful selection of music on breakfast today, until I switched back on in the middle of the Heiliger Dankgesang from LvB Op 132. Given the time I suspect we have John Sessions to thank for this? (Didn't hear him on Monday)
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

You could have heard op 132 in its entirety in yesterday's Lunchtime Concert. Forget Breakfast - it really is a complete waste of time.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

yep can only agree aeolium, this am the Arrival of the Queen of Sheba used to announce the anniversary of GFH's death .... hackneyed and inappropriate
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

My thought too Calum. There must have been a lot more appropriate Handel but not on the LIST, perhaps.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

We play lots of little pieces
                          That would really not be missed
                          But pieces that last longer
                          Are never on the list.
                          (You know the tune )

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                            yep can only agree aeolium, this am the Arrival of the Queen of Sheba used to announce the anniversary of GFH's death .... hackneyed and inappropriate
                            Which anniversary was this?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                              I shall never forget the headlines, in more than one paper of the day.....'Sibelius dies as Sargent conducts his 5th Symphony'. MS, who was actually a very good Sibelian, was conducting I think, on Finnish Radio at the time. KCII would know.............where is he?
                              Can't pretend to KCII's depths of knowledge but apparently we must acquit Sargent of killing Sibelius!

According to Tawaststjerna, on 19/9/57 Sib spoke by phone to Sargent. His wife Aino was concerned that he went early to bed, not listening as usual to the late-night news. He had a cerebral haemorrhage at the lunch-table the following day. Aino thought of putting on Sargent's broadcast of the 5th on the radio as Sib lay in bed unconscious, but didn't. He died an hour later at 9.15pm.
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                                Can't pretend to KCII's depths of knowledge but apparently we must acquit Sargent of killing Sibelius!

According to Tawaststjerna, on 19/9/57 Sib spoke by phone to Sargent. His wife Aino was concerned that he went early to bed, not listening as usual to the late-night news. He had a cerebral haemorrhage at the lunch-table the following day. Aino thought of putting on Sargent's broadcast of the 5th on the radio as Sib lay in bed unconscious, but didn't. He died an hour later at 9.15pm.
                                Orchestral players,not always being the most sensitive of souls, made much humour out of it at a later Sargent rehearsal I was present at. He was actually quite friendly,it seems,with several great composers as they didn't have the hang-ups about MS that players did.He was probably thought more of abroad, as a musician, than at home.

Comment

Working...
                                X