Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Not sure why I said producer - I misread presenter. I'd love to sit in a studio all day listening to music ...... except perhaps the carol shortlist entries we had this morning .. which I suspect were all written by the same person (hope that's not libellous)

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I would be happy with a long breakfast programme, but all the more reason to add a bit of change to the rest of the morning.

In fact, Morning on 3 didn't have listener requests, phone-ins, emails &c so presumably the presenters were told to put up with their boredom, rather than inflict their amusements on the audience .
      Let's be honest there were longer, more interesting works so the presenters were probably quite happy to listen to them. Why don't we ask Penny - should know!

Comment

• alycidon
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Let's be honest there were longer, more interesting works so the presenters were probably quite happy to listen to them. Why don't we ask Penny - should know!
        Yes. Quite right. And they would also have been able to participate in other activities such as reading, or a puzzle of some sort. Very often I get the impression that there is a prize for the shortest piece played, it certainly seems like it sometimes.
        Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
          Yes. Quite right. And they would also have been able to participate in other activities such as reading, or a puzzle of some sort. Very often I get the impression that there is a prize for the shortest piece played, it certainly seems like it sometimes.
          We (FoR3) are making the point that when R3 says 'we don't play snippets', many would describe single movements as snippets, along with pieces lasting less than 3 - or even 2 - minutes, even if they are 'complete works'.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

We (FoR3) are making the point that when R3 says 'we don't play snippets', many would describe single movements as snippets, along with pieces lasting less than 3 - or even 2 - minutes, even if they are 'complete works'.

ff speaks and immediately R3 and The Squire responds ..... 3 pieces in the first half hour and 19 overall - including 2 of the Strictly carols ..... is this a record ...... ????

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Chat time is probably much cheaper than "needle time", and the shorter the pieces are, the greater the proportion of chat time.

Comment

• alycidon
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Chat time is probably much cheaper than "needle time", and the shorter the pieces are, the greater the proportion of chat time.
                Sorry, EA. I don't quite follow that argument, unless I'm being dense as usual.
                Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Sorry, EA. I don't quite follow that argument, unless I'm being dense as usual.
                  Each time the music starts/stops there is a 'chat op': 24 short pieces means 24 opportunities for the presenter to make an announcement, read a text request, play a trail &c. Just because there are only 12 pieces and 12 such gaps doesn't mean the gaps must be twice as long.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Each time the music starts/stops there is a 'chat op': 24 short pieces means 24 opportunities for the presenter to make an announcement, read a text request, play a trail &c. Just because there are only 12 pieces and 12 such gaps doesn't mean the gaps must be twice as long.
                    That was indeed my thinking. If there were only a symphony and a concerto in a full hour, that would reduce the CB-H time to under two minutes.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

That was indeed my thinking. If there were only a symphony and a concerto in a full hour, that would reduce the CB-H time to under two minutes.
                      But there may need to be some compromise (Who said: Booh, hiss?).

We lost the battle more than ten years ago [has it been that long?] to have the (then newly introduced) news headlines on the half hour dropped, but I'd put up with breaks for trail/news/weather at 6.30, 7.00 and 8.00 of 3 minutes each (= 9 mins - trails are max 45 seconds), and a trail?/news of 2 mins at 7.30 and 8.30 (= 4 mins ). Reading out the weather is a fairly useless routine.

I would not favour a morning programme at that hour made up entirely of symphonies and concertos but perhaps each of the five half hours could have no more than 2-4 pieces, a total of 12-15 (instead of 22+). Each announcement/back announcement should take no more than (average) 1 minute max.

I reckon that would shave about 20%-25% off the current speech, but at least it would guarantee that the BBC requirement to read news and give out trails was duly observed and the rest would relate to the music.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Theoretically, Breakfast could offer an ideal time to acquaint listeners with complete works by Webern, being as short as they mostly are; but I guess that has already occurred to them.

Comment

• Radio64
                          • Jan 2014

Petrock played some synthesiser music this morning!! Nearly choked on my panettone!

"Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I bet it was only an excerpt.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                              Petrock played some synthesiser music this morning!! Nearly choked on my panettone!
                              Cornflakes are Dancing?
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Radio64
                                • Jan 2014

I bet it was only an excerpt.
                                It was short-ish like the above-posted video, but seamlessly segued after Tapiolan Kuoro's Hanget Soi which all made for interesting listening.
                                "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

Working...
                                X