X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Very nice, ah... Should we call Skellers "Mr Daesh" from now on then?
    Somehow I suspect that he'd reach for his libel lawyer should that be done, so rather too daeshy to rishk, methinksh...

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Erratic hours this week (US-UK air timetables, plumbing work at home &c.) mean I've consumed more Breakfast than usual - what an unexpected delight to find Mr Skelly at the helm earlier this week.

And what a disappointment to find that Lemmintrelawney's Return today led not to a further stint from IS but the lithping attentions of the Clammy one Still, thanks to iPlayer, I was able to catch up with yesterday's offering from the wharfside at Tromsø (who knew that Bergen is a 6 day sail away from Tromsø ...!)

But today... back down to the musical equivalent of Davy Jones's Locker

Yes it was wonderful to have Skellers back - but does ff's Facebook gang not find the him a little less welcome than your favourite CBH?
      If contracts run to Easter wouldn't it make sense to put the Lady on a Mike Ashley zero hours contract both to win brownie points with the Paymasters and facilitate dismissal should her sickness record continue to be so poor?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        does ff's Facebook gang not find the him a little less welcome than your favourite CBH?

(Not that I know who the Facebook gang is). You hear the odd criticism of Our Man - but that's par for the course for every presenter. What's significant is the balance between critical comments and praise, welcome and unwelcome contributors.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• muzzer
          • Nov 2013

Oh goodie, the theme to Dick Barton - Special Agent, just what I listen to R3 to hear. Will the listener who requested this kindly report to nurse, she has something waiting for him which may free him up somewhat...

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
            Oh goodie, the theme to Dick Barton - Special Agent, just what I listen to R3 to hear. Will the listener who requested this kindly report to nurse, she has something waiting for him which may free him up somewhat...
            Not exactly the most extreme of pieces to play. A piece which is surely within the British Light Music cannon and not a million notes away from the final section of William Tell - it hits the target!
            Should it be on Radio 3 breakfast - in an ideal World no, but in the present format - no problem - I like the tune anyway.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Not exactly the most extreme of pieces to play. A piece which is surely within the British Light Music cannon and not a million notes away from the final section of William Tell - it hits the target!
              Should it be on Radio 3 breakfast - in an ideal World no, but in the present format - no problem - I like the tune anyway.
              Shock! Horror! Probe!

Cannon hits the target...

...Coat &c.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                Shock! Horror! Probe!

Cannon hits the target.....
                There will be an immediate public inquiry into why it was the cannon and not the ball that hit the target. Ministers deny any suggestions of sabotage or that defence procurement was at fault.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  There will be an immediate public inquiry into why it was the cannon and not the ball that hit the target. Ministers deny any suggestions of sabotage or that defence procurement was at fault.
                  ...and it could possibly also backfire if it turns out to be a cancrizans cannon...

Anyway, off to prepare a cannon of lamb in a Cannon cooker for the local Cannon from a recipe that I copied on a Cannon photocopier; I might listen to some Philip Cannon while doing this (more appropriate than Un Ballo in Maschera, methinks)...

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    (more appropriate than Un Ballo in Maschera, methinks)...
                    Oh I don't know. After a blunder(buss or otherwise) of that magnitude I would think not showing your face might be a sensible tactic.

I had to look up concrizans, didn't recognise the term although recognised the JSB example given - I have a feeling it's been played recently?

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      Oh I don't know. After a blunder(buss or otherwise) of that magnitude I would think not showing your face might be a sensible tactic.

I had to look up concrizans, didn't recognise the term although recognised the JSB example given - I have a feeling it's been played recently?
                      Q Should Dick Barton be fired (or hired)?

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Q Should Dick Barton be fired (or hired)?
                        Dunno; better ask Sir Alan Saccharine...

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Yes, yes, it was. And a sensible request message to go with. Also a request for George Pinto, of whom I had not heard. Ian, very sensitively, announced AFTER playing it that it had been suggested by Monica McCabe - widow of John McCabe - with additional information. ..........:
                          Another request from Monica this morning I think as a filler in Strictly Come Carolling........

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Interesting email from someone with inside information about being a radio (commercial) presenter: they get bored and LIKE anything that relieves the tedium of a 2-3 hour programme in a sound-proof studio, so interacting with the audience is welcome; and they like making and playing programme trails.

Solution? Relieve them of their boredom by junking the overlong daytime programmes (for which RW was partly responsible). I checked R3's morning schedule in 2000:

6am Morning on 3 (Penny Gore)
                            9am Composer of the Week (Donald Macleod)
                            10am Work in Progress (Frances Barber),
                            10.05am Masterworks (Stephanie Hughes)
                            11.30am Morning Performance (Humphrey Burton),

2015:
                            6.30am Breakfast (PT or CBH)
                            9am Essential Classics (RC or SW)

No wonder they get bored.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

presumably the producer of the 180-minute Morning on 3 would be even more bored than the producer of the 150-minute Breakfast ...... if its minutes we're counting

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                presumably the producer of the 180-minute Morning on 3 would be even more bored than the producer of the 150-minute Breakfast ...... if its minutes we're counting
                                I would be happy with a long breakfast programme, but all the more reason to add a bit of change to the rest of the morning.

In fact, Morning on 3 didn't have listener requests, phone-ins, emails &c so presumably the presenters were told to put up with their boredom, rather than inflict their amusements on the audience .

Comment

Working...
                                X