• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    last night's Through The Night (with its available pre-broadcast playlist) on paper had 35 works in 6 hours average 10 minutes each (is 10 minutes 'short' ?), but looking closer at the list we had Grieg 3 Lyric Pieces so that adds 2 to the 35, and if we counted the six movements of Schubert's Octet in a Breakfast way that would add 5 more to the total - thus, with other examples, the average length is eventually shortening perhaps down to 5 minutes ............

............ I've completely forgotten what point I was trying to make
    10 minutes would be a reasonable average, I think, for Breakfast. When I did my calculations, I usually counted items like the three Lyric Pieces as one, or three songs from the same collection. As for counting each of the movements of a piece played in full: chance would be a fine thing . But that is partly my point: why not play all four movements from, say a 'shorter' long work, rather than four completely separate short works? If someone has to go to work after one movement, what difference is there between going after the first of the four or only getting the first of the four anyway?

However, I was thinking of an exercise: now that the 15-minute news headlines have gone , and trails have mostly returned to the slot before the half-hourly news , there are about 20-23 uninterrupted minutes for music in each half-hour. How much variety could you work into the five half-hour sections, playing one, two, three (or even four) pieces in each half-hour section (eg one section with a 20-minute piece, another with a 7-minute piece and a 13-minute one &c?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      If someone has to go to work after one movement, what difference is there between going after the first of the four or only getting the first of the four anyway?
      very good point

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        When I did my calculations, I usually counted items like the three Lyric Pieces as one, or three songs from the same collection.
        presumably if Breakfast played three Lyric Pieces at half-hourly intervals one would count them as three separate items. Yesterday (according to the playlist) Breakfast played Brahms Opus 17/1 and Opus 17/3 consecutively - would that be one item or two ?
        Last edited by mercia; 27-11-15, 07:16.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

presumably if Breakfast played three Lyric Pieces at half-hourly intervals one would count them as three separate items. Yesterday (according to the playlist) Breakfast played Brahms Opus 17/1 and Opus 17/3 consecutively - would that be one item or two ?
          Bit of a quibble - and a little unusual, but I would probably lean in favour of counting it as one, since the listener is in the same, how shall I say? - listening mode … I probably wouldn't object to just one being played either, as the four are all distinct pieces rather than a true 'cycle'.

On most 'grey' issues my natural inclination is to favour the other side of the argument: so if the/my argument is that the Breakfast works are too short and too bitty, I count the Brahms as one longer one :-)
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

It would be two thirds.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Are we Skellers?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Are we Skellers?

Yep - welcome to Skellersdale - land of corny puns and tenuous links.

Excellent!

OG

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Scheduled as CBH?

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

He has just said he will also cover tomorrow - I think ff knows what is actually going on and he is being moved onto the rota .....

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                      Yep - welcome to Skellersdale - land of corny puns and tenuous links.

Excellent!

OG
                      And excellent, OG!

No idea, AG - I think contracts traditionally run until Easter.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Erratic hours this week (US-UK air timetables, plumbing work at home &c.) mean I've consumed more Breakfast than usual - what an unexpected delight to find Mr Skelly at the helm earlier this week.

And what a disappointment to find that Lemmintrelawney's Return today led not to a further stint from IS but the lithping attentions of the Clammy one Still, thanks to iPlayer, I was able to catch up with yesterday's offering from the wharfside at Tromsø (who knew that Bergen is a 6 day sail away from Tromsø ...!)

But today... back down to the musical equivalent of Davy Jones's Locker

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

But today... back down to the musical equivalent of Davy Jones's Locker

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            The Hilliard/Garbarek combo might have been 'intriguing' when they first did it in the early 90s - but it's surely not a particularly relevant adjective to use about something that's not far short of a quarter of a century old (even though the track chosen according to the R3 schedule was from their recent "third album")

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Erratic hours this week (US-UK air timetables, plumbing work at home &c.) mean I've consumed more Breakfast than usual
                              Oh, dear! Back to just a cup of strong coffee for you in the interests of your health, methinks!

And what a disappointment to find that Lemmintrelawney's Return today led not to a further stint from IS
                              Isn't it BBC PC to refer to "so-called IS"?

but the lithping attentions of the Clammy one
                              The very thought thereof makes me shudder...

Still, thanks to iPlayer, I was able to catch up with yesterday's offering from the wharfside at Tromsø (who knew that Bergen is a 6 day sail away from Tromsø ...!)
                              Well, I did, for one, having visited that delightful town on several occasions years ago (although I've never actually travelled on that boat); flight time's from 2h20' (c.25' longer than from Oslo to Tromsø).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                                Isn't it BBC PC to refer to "so-called IS"?
                                Very nice, ah... Should we call Skellers "Mr Daesh" from now on then?

Comment

Working...
                                X