Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

As well as Bach Before 7 Tree Lawn has now decided that from Monday we will have Mozart before 08.24 - very, very hard to be more excited .......
    Last edited by antongould; 13-11-15, 09:53.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

'pride ourselves on Breakfast on playing the unusual, the forgotten, the obscure....'
      So said Petroc T (briefly called Patrick last night by a fellow presenter) this morning. Fortunately I was neither eating nor drinking at the time of this pronouncement.

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        BBC management tried to fix R3 Radio 3 but it wasn't broken but it's knackered now
        Well said!
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          'pride ourselves on Breakfast on playing the unusual, the forgotten, the obscure....'
          So said Petroc T
          I do wonder whether this might have been prefiguring a new executive intention.

Looking at this morning's effort, there are still, erm, 'surprising' items (which don't particularly delight me), but they are - I think - of a slightly different species from Star Wars and Goldfinger:

Trio Trad: Les Bras de Mer Performer: Catrin Finch. Performer: Seckou Keita
          Urban Trad: Sekstur from Vendsyssel / The Peat Dance Ensemble: Danish String Quartet
          Joseph Parry: Myfanwy - trad. Welsh, arr. for male-voice chorus Choir: Morriston Orpheus Choir

but also:

Donizetti: Concertino in B flat for clarinet and orchestra
          Fux: Intrada in C major
          Elfrida Andree: Symphony No.2 in A minor - iii. Presto
          Franz Xaver Biebl: Ave Maria
          York Bowen: Reverie d'amour for piano

plus others that aren't played every week …
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

On Friday morning a listener requested some of Verdi's Force of Destiny. That's good, I thought, I don't know that.

Clemmy said they couldn't but instead would play the Grand March from Aida

How original!

How CFM!
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• alycidon
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              On Friday morning a listener requested some of Verdi's Force of Destiny. That's good, I thought, I don't know that.

How original!

How CFM!
              Which is exactly why the programme should not be soliciting requests. It is not a request programme. Or shouldn't be.
              Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I do wonder whether this might have been prefiguring a new executive intention.

Looking at this morning's effort, there are still, erm, 'surprising' items (which don't particularly delight me), but they are - I think - of a slightly different species from Star Wars and Goldfinger:

Trio Trad: Les Bras de Mer Performer: Catrin Finch. Performer: Seckou Keita
                Urban Trad: Sekstur from Vendsyssel / The Peat Dance Ensemble: Danish String Quartet
                Joseph Parry: Myfanwy - trad. Welsh, arr. for male-voice chorus Choir: Morriston Orpheus Choir

but also:

Donizetti: Concertino in B flat for clarinet and orchestra
                Fux: Intrada in C major
                Elfrida Andree: Symphony No.2 in A minor - iii. Presto
                Franz Xaver Biebl: Ave Maria
                York Bowen: Reverie d'amour for piano

plus others that aren't played every week …
                Hiya French Frank,

That selection is much more like it!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

How original!

How CFM!
                  Did they actually say 'But not the Overture'? Radio 3 has the Overture …

Continual puzzlement as to why they bother with these requests, especially if they mention them just in order to say they're not going to play them.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Did they actually say 'But not the Overture'? Radio 3 has the Overture …

Continual puzzlement as to why they bother with these requests, especially if they mention them just in order to say they're not going to play them.
                    It's hard not to conclude that, like the musical selections that can't possibly be intended to be listened to or welcoming into a new musical world, the same must go for the presenters coming to be part of some general aural wallpaper, details of which are overlooked (or whatever the equivalent word appliied to listening would be)..

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

Did they actually say 'But not the Overture'? Radio 3 has the Overture.
                      I've had another listen. It was actually a request for "some Verdi" but then the Force was discussed so I assumed this would be its cue. But no, Clemmy then said they couldn't manage to fit it into the show today... But why is it alway Aida as the default?

She did play a brass band version as a variation. I can't say it did much for me or my blood pressure.

(My spell checker keeps wanting to change Clemmy to Clammy )
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        It's hard not to conclude that, like the musical selections that can't possibly be intended to be listened to or welcoming into a new musical world, the same must go for the presenters coming to be part of some general aural wallpaper, details of which are overlooked (or whatever the equivalent word appliied to listening would be)..
                        I wonder what paste might be used in order to hang this particular aural wallpaper...

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          I wonder what paste might be used in order to hang this particular aural wallpaper...
                          The water will probably be provided by the Sorceror's Apprentice.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

I've had another listen. It was actually a request for "some Verdi" but then the Force was discussed so I assumed this would be its cue. But no, Clemmy then said they couldn't manage to fit it into the show today... But why is it alway Aida as the default?

She did play a brass band version as a variation. I can't say it did much for me or my blood pressure.

(My spell checker keeps wanting to change Clemmy to Clammy )
                            Maybe try giving it La clemenza di Tito and see how it responds...

Something makes me wary of ever visiting Burton-on-Trent or listening to Delius' Song of the high hills...

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              The water will probably be provided by the Sorceror's Apprentice.
                              Hmmm. No wonder a coating of emulsion would be a better prospect, then...

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

It was actually a request for "some Verdi" but then the Force was discussed so I assumed this would be its cue. But no, Clemmy then said they couldn't manage to fit it into the show today... But why is it alway Aida as the default?

I see from the playlist that this morning's listeners had another bit of brassband Verdi this morning, by request (Grimethorpe this time): the overture from, er, The Force of Destiny Strange indeed are the Ways of Three

Comment

Working...
                                X