• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post

when I put classic into my Google its recommendations started with

Classic Pizza - Spennymoor .......
    Ah, but that would be influenced by your previous browsing history, Anton!

OG

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Ah, but that would be influenced by your previous browsing history, Anton!

OG
      Indeed OG but, unlike ferney, I have never eaten in, or from, Spennymoor .......

Comment

• Flay
        • Mar 2007

I tuned in this morning on the way to work. Nagoya Marimbas was being played. All was well until the end. Before the last plonk had faded and without announcement, we were straight into Beethoven's 5th. It was like stepping off your bicycle to be hit by a juggernaut!

There's no excuse for that.
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

I regularly (and, occasionally, Deep Crust) stray this way (and, for a change, that) - just as there's usually a twenty (or so) minute part of every day that I listen to Breakfast. The quality varies considerably (and this doesn't necessarily reflect the presenter) - sometimes I switch off almost immediately, other times I'm quite happy with what's on offer - but very very rarely do I continue listening beyond the 20 minute point because I'm keen to hear what's coming next.

As for Spennymoor Pizza - that dates me: I don't think there was a Pizza place in Spennymoor (Classic, Modern, Baroque or any other type) in the time I was there!

(Anton's got me all nostalgic - I'm wondering what the place is like these days; it's thirty-four years since I was last there. )
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Zucchini
            • Nov 2010

I tuned in for a few minutes on Friday in order to catch the 8am news and enjoyed hearing Radu Lupu and Andreas Scholl. The presenter was pleasant, impressively articulate and relaxed.

A look at the playlist showed that all but 3 or 4 pieces were new to me and that only a couple featured dead artists. I would quite like to have heard Andsnes, Sampson, Grigolo and Hahn. Seemed contemporary and appropriate for the classical the music industry, which in many ways is in a very worrying state.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              I tuned in this morning on the way to work. Nagoya Marimbas was being played. All was well until the end. Before the last plonk had faded and without announcement, we were straight into Beethoven's 5th. It was like stepping off your bicycle to be hit by a juggernaut!

No there isn't and it seems to be a new "thing" .....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

No there isn't and it seems to be a new "thing" .....
                SOmeone had been trained at Leeds College of Music's DJ course.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                  I tuned in for a few minutes on Friday in order to catch the 8am news and enjoyed hearing Radu Lupu and Andreas Scholl. The presenter was pleasant, impressively articulate and relaxed.
                  Zucchini, it's always interesting to hear your views, but, dare I ask, are you in any way connected to/with the BBC?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

S

I would say it is far better - does anyone here listen to CFM Breakfast??
                    I thought, as one of ff's accredited stat' gatherers, I'd do a number on this morning's show but looking at the playlist I couldn't face it

29 Pieces in 3 hours including - and I jest not -
                    That's the equivalent of 24 pieces in two and a half hours. The only two I would pick out as definitely NOT being played on R3 were the Downton Abbey Suite and Farnon's Westminster Waltz. Any piece of film music seems to be okay. Of the slightly larger half which you didn't mention there was at least one by a composer of whom I hadn't heard (John Garth) plus some perfectly respectable (though I suspect some CFM staples) composers like Marcello, Kapsberger and Boyce as well as some big names. Even a Dvorak dance (not Slavonic).

But all this is just trading tit for tats. Anyone can say 'I heard this and I liked it/thought it was better than R3/thought it was better than CFM. I enjoyed it more than A/more than B &c &c/I didn't enjoy it. The longest piece on Breakfast this morning, as far as I can tell - was Bolero, all 14 minutes of it. The usual bit of Gershwin. Rifkin's Royal Beatleworks Music against Handel's Water Music? Matter of taste whether you'd prefer a novelty or a Handel warhorse. Pilgrim's Chorus from Tannhaüser? A Chopin Mazurka? And the usual crop of single movements: some may not mind them, but R3 used to shun them, Classic FM featured them from the start, now Radio 3 features them too …
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      That's the equivalent of 24 pieces in two and a half hours. The only two I would pick out as definitely NOT being played on R3 were the Downton Abbey Suite and Farnon's Westminster Waltz. Any piece of film music seems to be okay. Of the slightly larger half which you didn't mention there was at least one by a composer of whom I hadn't heard (John Garth) plus some perfectly respectable (though I suspect some CFM staples) composers like Marcello, Kapsberger and Boyce as well as some big names. Even a Dvorak dance (not Slavonic).

But all this is just trading tit for tats. Anyone can say 'I heard this and I liked it/thought it was better than R3/thought it was better than CFM. I enjoyed it more than A/more than B &c &c/I didn't enjoy it. The longest piece on Breakfast this morning, as far as I can tell - was Bolero, all 14 minutes of it. The usual bit of Gershwin. Rifkin's Royal Beatleworks Music against Handel's Water Music? Matter of taste whether you'd prefer a novelty or a Handel warhorse. Pilgrim's Chorus from Tannhaüser? A Chopin Mazurka? And the usual crop of single movements: some may not mind them, but R3 used to shun them, Classic FM featured them from the start, now Radio 3 features them too …
                      I tend to think if On Yer Mobile played 10 of those one morning you would have a fair bit to say ..... Add the adverts to the 29 and I honestly would have switched off very sharpish ......

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        As for Spennymoor Pizza - that dates me: I don't think there was a Pizza place in Spennymoor (Classic, Modern, Baroque or any other type) in the time I was there!

(Anton's got me all nostalgic - I'm wondering what the place is like these days; it's thirty-four years since I was last there. )
                        Not much I'll warrant, Ferney - just a few less pits perhaps. I was there not that long ago with Mrs G matching some of the localilty with the paintings of Norman Cornish - interesting mining museum and art gallery in the Town Hall.

OG

Comment

• Frances_iom
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Zucchini, it's always interesting to hear your views, but, dare I ask, are you in any way connected to/with the BBC?

this question has been raised several times - astroturfing comes to mind

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by Flay View Post

I totally agree and while driving to work was treated with a new low, some awful arrangement of Beatles tunes in a Baroque manner, The Royale Beatleworks Musicke. I have selective memory lapse for the arranger, but on checking it is Joshua Rifkin.....

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                              this question has been raised several times - astroturfing comes to mind
                              The courgette in the Teflon coat!

Comment

• Frances_iom
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                The courgette in the Teflon coat!
                                actually a courgette is a good description of the present BBC - liberal or green on the surface but having grown too big, bitter and seedy inside

Comment

Working...
                                X