X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    I have no idea what KD's legs are like (but presume that she possesses the usual tally of two thereof), nor would I pronounce upon her prowess or otherwise as a actor but, since her legs are not obviously visible on R3 when she's presenting and she was presumably not contracted to present programmes on that channel on the groundsof the quality either of said limbs or her acting ability, it all sounds rather like smoke and mirrors to me; to cloughie's remark that "CB-H makes KD sound good" I can only respond that this is not so because CB-H sounds like CB-H and KD like KD without a scrap of help (or hindrance) one from t'other.
    I've never heard smoke and mirrors!

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      I've never heard smoke and mirrors!
      You have now! See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_and_mirrors .

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

No, I know the term, I just imagine them to be rather silent hence I've not heard them, seen them, yes but not heard.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          No, I know the term, I just imagine them to be rather silent hence I've not heard them, seen them, yes but not heard.

have Faith, Cloughie, and you WILL hear Smoke and Mirrors...

It might have made an appearance at last years Proms......
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            have Faith, Cloughie, and you WILL hear Smoke and Mirrors...

It might have made an appearance at last years Proms......
            Or maybe an ahinton premiere at next year's?!?

,'

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Was it my imagination, or was Breakfast ever so slightly better this morning? There seemed to be more music and less twittering, though the continuing twee accent with the "ü" sounds was as irritating as ever. Nevertheless, credit where it's due (or düe).

Or was I just lucky when I happened to switch on the radio?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Or was I just lucky when I happened to switch on the radio?
                I find the playlist particularly UNinviting: a record number of single movements, more individual pieces than any of our 'listening panel' found (which means either there was a LOT less waffling or the average length of pieces was somewhere below Classic FM's), and still managing a piece of Girl Crazy, of Leroy Anderson and Piazzolla.

If none of that bothers individuals, it may still be pretty much to their taste at 8am. I shall listen to it to see how the music comes over in the context of intelligent presentation. I don't expect it to win me over, but who knows? …
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  I find the playlist particularly UNinviting: a record number of single movements, more individual pieces than any of our 'listening panel' found (which means either there was a LOT less waffling or the average length of pieces was somewhere below Classic FM's), and still managing a piece of Girl Crazy, of Leroy Anderson and Piazzolla.

If none of that bothers individuals, it may still be pretty much to their taste at 8am. I shall listen to it to see how the music comes over in the context of intelligent presentation. I don't expect it to win me over, but who knows? …
                  I did say "ever so slightly better". It was still deadly dull and completely lacking in imagination.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

I have no idea what KD's legs are like (but presume that she possesses the usual tally of two thereof), nor would I pronounce upon her prowess or otherwise as a actor but, since her legs are not obviously visible on R3 when she's presenting and she was presumably not contracted to present programmes on that channel on the groundsof the quality either of said limbs or her acting ability, it all sounds rather like smoke and mirrors to me; to cloughie's remark that "CB-H makes KD sound good" I can only respond that this is not so because CB-H sounds like CB-H and KD like KD without a scrap of help (or hindrance) one from t'other.
                    Hiya ahinton,

Please don't dismiss KD's great legs as they were considered important enough to be discussed by her fellow presenters on Radio 3 the other week. I kid you not!

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      Hiya ahinton,

Please don't dismiss KD's great legs as they were considered important enough to be discussed by her fellow presenters on Radio 3 the other week. I kid you not!
                      I don't do that; I merely mentioned not having seen them and pointed out the obvious, neamly that they cut very little ice for the R3 listener as they're not visible when she's presenting there and are therefore not regarded as an asset to her as a presenter.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I don't do that; I merely mentioned not having seen them and pointed out the obvious, neamly that they cut very little ice for the R3 listener as they're not visible when she's presenting there and are therefore not regarded as an asset to her as a presenter.
                        Unfortunately, the appearance of presenters is given artificial importance by the BBC. Pictures of presenters dominate the Radio 3 website.

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Unfortunately, the appearance of presenters is given artificial importance by the BBC. Pictures of presenters dominate the Radio 3 website.
                          ...... and, to be fair, pictures of composers .....

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            ...... and, to be fair, pictures of composers .....
                            I have done a detailed listening to this morning's programmme and in order to get the timings I've had to sit looking at a large picture of the presenter. Admittedly, there were more pictures of composers, but only thumbnails and all were out of sight if you were watching the clock :-(

That said, unless my calculations were hopelessly wrong (which could be as I was doing quick 'back of metaphorical fag-packet' additions), this was by some very significant amount a higher music-to-speech ratio than anyone else had found in a couple of dozen soundings. It therefore doesn't seem the moment to make some nitpicking comments about details - other than, as I've said, the playlist wasn't the most interesting. So more I will not say

Ooh, except that there does seem to be an attempt to keep most of the trails &c. to the pre news breaks. They may have been doing that for some time, of course.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I have done a detailed listening to this morning's programmme and in order to get the timings I've had to sit looking at a large picture of the presenter. Admittedly, there were more pictures of composers, but only thumbnails and all were out of sight if you were watching the clock :-(

That said, unless my calculations were hopelessly wrong (which could be as I was doing quick 'back of metaphorical fag-packet' additions), this was by some very significant amount a higher music-to-speech ratio than anyone else had found in a couple of dozen soundings. It therefore doesn't seem the moment to make some nitpicking comments about details - other than, as I've said, the playlist wasn't the most interesting. So more I will not say

Ooh, except that there does seem to be an attempt to keep most of the trails &c. to the pre news breaks. They may have been doing that for some time, of course.
                              Scarily, and if this doesn't get me excluded nothing will, in the morning I listen on an iPad and when it goes into screensaver mode the composer appears ...

And yes ff after years of, hopefully friendly, sparring we agree that slowly but surely things are moving in the right direction ....

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Scarily, and if this doesn't get me excluded nothing will, in the morning I listen on an iPad and when it goes into screensaver mode the composer appears ...

And yes ff after years of, hopefully friendly, sparring we agree that slowly but surely things are moving in the right direction ....
                                What's an iPad?

Comment

Working...
                                X