X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    It wasn't Tárrega by any chance was it? Acc. to the Beeb, things like this have to go all the way to the top, and all the way down again. I think the producer was bucking the system by simply telling him.
    Sadly much more of a schoolboy error - Dame Ethel Smith .....

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      I think he is excellent ......
      I'm quite a fan, if I may put it that way without it being taken too literally.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I was not going to say, Lord Gould. The point is, it doesn't matter how 'elementary' the error is: it should be put right. We all have 'elementary' blind spots. What really grates is when people prattle on, revealing their ignorance to the audience but either being unaware of it themselves or hoping to brazen it out. When such as these set themselves up as some sort of expert - that grates. I don't feel that about Mr Trelawny. Myself.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Ah! The First Lady of the Hammond Organ

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            Hey, what a dame!
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I was not going to say, Lord Gould. The point is, it doesn't matter how 'elementary' the error is: it should be put right. We all have 'elementary' blind spots. What really grates is when people prattle on, revealing their ignorance to the audience but either being unaware of it themselves or hoping to brazen it out. When such as these set themselves up as some sort of expert - that grates. I don't feel that about Mr Trelawny. Myself.
              He can be an extremely good presenter, but there's something of an inconsistency in his content, and his lack of verbal punctuation can be particularly tiresome.

True colours? "Abroad, when I explain where I am from, the inevitable response is: 'So you are English.' 'No,' I reply, 'Cornish.' I’ll accept British, or European, but being described as English is something that rankles with most Cornishmen."

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... I may, then, have been pronouncing it 'wrongly' for years. I've tended to have it rhyme with lithe - but wiki tells me it shd rhyme with Forsyth ...

"Dame Ethel Mary Smyth, DBE (/smaɪθ/, to rhyme with Forsyth)" .

But ectually I'm pretty sure a good case cd be made for it to be pronounced "Smith" to rhyme with myth.

Or even "Smiff" to rhyme wiv spliff...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

But ectually I'm pretty sure a good case cd be made for it to be pronounced "Smith" to rhyme with myth.

Why? Was Dame Ethel a cockney?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Yes

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Certainly common to widespread in N Ireland

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        I'm sure out new friend Natty Dread would be able to advise if he can get his head together (maaan)

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Hope you didn't miss the Breakfast prog where they played La Monte Young, Gongers. Now that wouldn't have happened under the previous management!

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            ........ I don't feel that about Mr Trelawny. Myself.
                            Neither do I ....

Comment

• CallMePaul
                              • Jan 2014

Did nobody else motice the massive boob made this morning by Victoria Meakin? She played a recording of La Donna e Mobile from Rigoletto and claimed it was by Tito Gobbi! OK he was born 100 years ago today as she stated, but he would never have sung a tenor aria - not in public anyway! How do BBC producers get away with this? Gobbi, of course, was a baritone and [I]La Donna e Mobile/I] is one of the main tenor showpieces in Italian opera! Someone needs shooting!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Playlist says Tito Gobbi. If it was the EMI recording with Callas and di Stefano, he might have been lurking in the background …

Comment

Working...
                                X