• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    Oh, mon Dieu! - will we be hearing them playing the Bach double soon? - and will it feature on Strictly Dumb Prancing?...
    As far as I am aware, Clemency can play the Bach double very well indeed, but I'm a bit doubtful about KD.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      As far as I am aware, Clemency can play the Bach double very well indeed, but I'm a bit doubtful about KD.
      Then I wish that she'd do it and other things involving the violin under her chin than what she's now known for...

Comment

• alycidon
        • Feb 2013

That spinning sound I can hear must be Papa Haydn in his grave after that performance of The Heav'ns are telling. Every single nuance demolished in one fell swoop. How could anyone take it that fast and expect to get away with it?
        Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          I would have gladly had my name read out on breakfast if it had led to some Howard Ferguson being played,but they ignored my request.
          They were probably confusing him with Maynard - blast!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            As far as I am aware, Clemency can play the Bach double very well indeed
            - and, like ahinton, I wish she did more of this sort of work (and the documentary she presented) than ... well, y'know ..

but I'm a bit doubtful about KD.
            A Pasodoble Concerto, mayhap?
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I would have gladly had my name read out on breakfast if it had led to some Howard Ferguson being played,but they ignored my request.
              Is it politeness that prompts Radio 3 to acknowledge on air that someone other than the producers suggested a piece of music to be played? And is 4-10 mins of a requested piece being played on one particular day in, what?, 365 days? such an enormous enhancement to anyone's life?

Or is it conceived as the equivalent of Andy Warhol's 'fifteen minutes' of fame: '5.3 seconds of being vaguely noticed by 19,560 Radio 3 listeners' fame?

These are the sources of wonderment for me …
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                - and, like ahinton, I wish she did more of this sort of work (and the documentary she presented) than ... well, y'know ..

A Pasodoble Concerto, mayhap?
                Or some David Matthews, given his evident obsession with tango (as heard in his fourth symphony, twelfth quartet and elsewhere - I'm sure that, if ever he writes a Requiem, he'll somehow contrive to include a tango therein...))

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Is it politeness that prompts Radio 3 to acknowledge on air that someone other than the producers suggested a piece of music to be played? And is 4-10 mins of a requested piece being played on one particular day in, what?, 365 days? such an enormous enhancement to anyone's life?

Or is it conceived as the equivalent of Andy Warhol's 'fifteen minutes' of fame: '5.3 seconds of being vaguely noticed by 19,560 Radio 3 listeners' fame?

These are the sources of wonderment for me …
                  Hi ff

I wasn't seeking any fame or fortune.
                  Just thought Howard Ferguson deserved a place on the British composer list thingy they were doing at the time.
                  If that meant embarrassing myself on the wireless then it had to be done.
                  Alas wasn't to be.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I wasn't seeking any fame or fortune.
                    That's your trouble, ER - no ambition, you

Just thought Howard Ferguson deserved a place on the British composer list thingy they were doing at the time.
                    If that meant embarrassing myself on the wireless then it had to be done.
                    Presumably because THEY want to read your name out. As someone suggested, it's their evidence that there are people listening.

I remember one of our number here responding on the BBC messageboard a request to ask a question for a panel on one programme. But he protested that he was withdrawing his question when it became likely that he would be having his name read out (possibly even having to read his own question) when all he'd intended was to oblige with a question. Similarly suggestions for musical works?

[I did once ask for a piece for Listeners' Choice, but when they said they would be playing it I couldn't bring myself to listen to the programme; I went out and tried not to think about it. But takes all sorts, as they say.]
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      .... and quite a good joke too I thought Padraig
                      I didn't quite get it... How did young anton 'catch me out' I wonder
                      Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                      You didn't get my joke, french frank.
                      Ah - I'm not alone!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        I didn't quite get it... How did young anton 'catch me out' I wonder

Ah - I'm not alone!
                        You know what it's like having to 'explain' a joke, Caliban?
                        If it's dead, so be it.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

You know what it's like having to 'explain' a joke, Caliban?
                          If it's dead, so be it.
                          RIP!

PS There's always trouble when I have to get up early!

Comment

• Padraig
                            • Feb 2013

[COLOR="#0000FF"]PS There's always trouble when I have to get up early! ]
                            Not from me! I'm never up in time for Breakfast! "It is far too early".

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

RIP!

PS There's always trouble when I have to get up early!
                              I don't think Debussy would have got the joke either .... or have been up for Rumpole's great love CBH ....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Not from me! I'm never up in time for Breakfast! "It is far too early".
                                You're not joking!

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                I don't think Debussy would have got the joke either .... or have been up for Rumpole's great love CBH ....
                                You speak in riddles, antonio!

Comment

Working...
                                X