X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Sorry, ah - I'm not rising to that one …
    How crusty of you! Sometimes you really do take the biscuit!

I never believe the 'floods' 'deluge' 'hundreds' 'thousands' are more than figures of speech…
    One might hope that Dave shares your view, but his recent use of the term "swarm" in respect of something other than bees does seem rather to leave that open to question.

Incidentally, should the presenter-swap from Hell that I mooted earlier ever occur, I just hope that the the melty one and the perky one between them don't adapt their by now nauseatingly repeated expression "ready- steady - tweext" (but then I'd be no more welcoming of Clementine sponges and Crêpes Suzy either)...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

They don't really say "tweext" do they? Not having been listening recently.....

I think those are two presenters who only do it to annoy, because etc.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        No - I admit, that was my sneeze.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

To annoy us, maybe. . .

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            No - I admit, that was my sneeze.
            An amusing one, though, thanks, ferneyhoughgetweexte...

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

(s)he only does it to annoy
              because (s)he knows it teases.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I trusted forumites to complete the quote for themselves, Sir V. I'm in favour of speaking roughly to them (S&K that is), but the rest might be going a bit far
                Last edited by Guest; 25-08-15, 19:21. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

If a Breakfast presenter makes a decision based upon a principle, and then reneges on that decision as a result of the noise of the mob, it shows a feeble character. However, I suspect that CB-H did NOT cave in to mob rule, as (a) it wasn't true, and (b) she wanted to play it anyway.

Relating to other comments, a BBC local radio station I sometimes listened to on the way to work would have a daily "song" choice relating to some topical event - national or local. Some of these choices were quite ingenious, but I made a point of sending in classical suggestions. Surprise, surprise - they were completely ignored.
                  Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 25-08-15, 22:27.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I'm reminded of the late John Biffen, who many years ago described a parliamentary visit to Albania as "so awful it was funny". I really suspect someone is trying to persuade the programme over into such awfulness that all concerned will suddenly realise that it's getting beyond self-parody.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

I'm reminded of the late John Biffen, who many years ago described a parliamentary visit to Albania as "so awful it was funny". I really suspect someone is trying to persuade the programme over into such awfulness that all concerned will suddenly realise that it's getting beyond self-parody.
                      But the moment to watch out for is when it descends to Reginald Maudling at the "height" of the Northern Ireland troubles -

"For God's sake bring me a large Scotch. What a bloody awful country."
                      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 26-08-15, 10:13.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        If a Breakfast presenter makes a decision based upon a principle, and then reneges on that decision as a result of the noise of the mob, it shows a feeble character. However, I suspect that CB-H did NOT cave in to mob rule, as (a) it wasn't true, and (b) she wanted to play it anyway.

Relating to other comments, a BBC local radio station I sometimes listened to on the way to work would have a daily "song" choice relating to some topical event - national or local. Some of these choices were quite ingenious, but I made a point of sending in classical suggestions. Surprise, surprise - they were completely ignored.

Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie,
                        Last night I heard some of 'Through the Night' presented by Jonathan Swain. Now he is what I call a proper presenter!

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                          Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie,
                          Last night I heard some of 'Through the Night' presented by Jonathan Swain. Now he is what I call a proper presenter!
                          R3 has them - Andrew McGregor and Martin Handley are two more examples and another is Donald McLeod who claims not even to have any musical training; when does one hear habitual gaffes and gushes, let alone tweexts (I'm indebted to fhg for that one!), emails and phone-ins or indeed anything extraneous to the subject matter at hand? OK, Andrew McGregor is wont to reveal his opinions from time to time but he does this with more discretion than some and, in any case, this is more understandable and acceptable on CD Review or a programme of its type than on those worst afflicted by R3's (incessant) chattering classes. The trouble seems to be that the powers that be on R3 appear either not to notice or to care about the differences...

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            The trouble seems to be that the powers that be on R3 appear either not to notice or to care about the differences...
                            The trouble is that they are aimed at two completely different audiences (which is not to say that there isn't an overlap, just that they diverge to extremes).
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

The trouble is that they are aimed at two completely different audiences (which is not to say that there isn't an overlap, just that they diverge to extremes).
                              "Ferry Cross The Mersey" is a "Bolero". It does little either for those of us who associate closely with night time radio. If the unexpected at Breakfast was June Tabor's "Finisterre" or Leon Rosselson's "Harry's Gone Fishing" that would be an entirely different matter but it would probably lower the audience figures. CFM folk wouldn't want those things at all!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                                "Ferry Cross The Mersey" is a "Bolero".
                                I would describe it using even stronger language!

Comment

Working...
                                X