Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

EA, I did search for the 'Delete' button after clicking 'Edit', but couldn't find it on this occasion.

I also searched the 'How to...' threads to no avail, so had to assume that closing a thread was more complicated than deleting a post.

But, thanks, I'll look harder next time!

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Back on topic, I found myself warming to Victoria Meakin this morning. Much preferable to the chap whose name escapes me. But I think Martin Handley is tops for my weekend mornings.

I do wish presenters could be given guidance on the pronunciation of the more common foreign-language titles (and composers).

Cosi' fan Tutte contains no sounds that don't occur in spoken English, but if you make the wrong ones, you risk enmasculating the ladies .

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
        EA, I did search for the 'Delete' button after clicking 'Edit', but couldn't find it on this occasion.

I also searched the 'How to...' threads to no avail, so had to assume that closing a thread was more complicated than deleting a post.

But, thanks, I'll look harder next time!
        Sorry to go off the topic of the thread but I don’t think we (plain members ) can delete the opening post. I found it particularly embarrassing when I started a thread and found that I had mistyped the title.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          Sorry to go off the topic of the thread but I don’t think we (plain members ) can delete the opening post. I found it particularly embarrassing when I started a thread and found that I had mistyped the title.
          Yes it seems extraordinary that one can delete a thread one had opened by this means, which I didn't know about. "These were my intial thoughts; these are what others thought in response; I'm now on a power trip. Byeeeee!"

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
            I didn't realise that. I know everyone can delete their other posts, so I just assumed. . .

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

You can't delete an OP someone has replied to. If you could, what would become of the replies?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                You can't delete an OP someone has replied to. If you could, what would become of the replies?
                Exact. And I wouldn't delete them on request from an individual, but instead I merge the two threads (if appropriate).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  They would disappear - gone forever; like Trotsky beside Lenin in that rally photo.

Edit: I now stand corrected.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    They would disappear - gone forever; like Trotsky beside Lenin in that rally photo.

Edit: I now stand corrected.
                    To clarify: the settings don't allow members to delete their own threads - only their posts. If they start a thread and ask for it to be deleted it will be - unless it has already had replies, in which case it stays as it is or is merged with another (in the case of a thread being opened on a subject which already has a thread).
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                      • Nov 2010

Thus I was unable to delete my OP even before anyone had replied to it... a trifle curious as to why this should be the case.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        To clarify: the settings don't allow members to delete their own threads - only their posts. If they start a thread and ask for it to be deleted it will be - unless it has already had replies, in which case it stays as it is or is merged with another (in the case of a thread being opened on a subject which already has a thread).

I too stand corrected.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Thus I was unable to delete my OP even before anyone had replied to it... a trifle curious as to why this should be the case.
                          Because there are only two settings. The OP can delete own threads or can't. It's set to can't because otherwise anyone could close their thread if they objected to what other people had posted.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                            • Nov 2010

Fair enough, though ideally there might be a third setting by which the OP could delete their own thread provided it hadn't received any replies.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Fair enough, though ideally there might be a third setting by which the OP could delete their own thread provided it hadn't received any replies.
                              Ideally, but in practice the software only offers the options as Yes or No - and it's set to No for the reasons given.

An unofficial hack apparently exists to delve down and insert an additional piece of code in the software (experts can find their way round most software problems) but hacks aren't supported by the developer and we've never used one. Moderators can delete a single OP, delete an entire thread or merge with another, as appropriate.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Yes I can see the reasons. There has been at least one thread which I have started, and then, almost immediately, regretted doing so. But by that time someone might well have responded, even if only with a smiley or one-word reply, and it would clearly be improper to have their contribution eliminated purely on the basis of my impulsiveness.

Comment

Working...
                                X