Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

If you have TiVo, you should be able to record R3. I've set up a series link to record the Proms, CD Review and COTW, and the sound quality varies from good to tolerable.

You're right that BBC has discontinued the support for the radio iplayer on set top boxes, though there is streaming access currently to about 38 televised proms (with the option to see/listen in HD), though the sound is short of the 320kpbs promised.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Is it Saturday or even Sunday?

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        Is it Saturday or even Sunday?
        I had the same confusion!

But how wonderful to have a musician presenting on a weekday!

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

It is indeed ...... but has he ever done a "show" without playing a piece by Dvorak?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Hmmm.

"Often when I listen to a Mahler Symphony I find myself thinking 'Get over yourself'"
            "'Radio3: Home of the BBC Proms' - it always makes me feel proud to say that."
            "Mrs Trellis has texted to say she loves Elgar's Sea Pictures, especially number 4, 'Where Corals Lie', and if we could play the Janet Baker version ... "

... all heard within twenty minutes of the programme this morning. As toe-curling as CB-H at her worst - and she has been much less effusive in recent weeks.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Hmmm.

"Often when I listen to a Mahler Symphony I find myself thinking 'Get over yourself'"
              "'Radio3: Home of the BBC Proms' - it always makes me feel proud to say that."
              "Mrs Trellis has texted to say she loves Elgar's Sea Pictures, especially number 4, 'Where Corals Lie', and if we could play the Janet Baker version ... "

... all heard within twenty minutes of the programme this morning. As toe-curling as CB-H at her worst - and she has been much less effusive in recent weeks.
              Ferney the secret listener - agree with your analysis but like Skellers IMVHO there is not the "everything we do is beyond wonderful" tone of CBH and Tree Lawn.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Ferney the secret listener - agree with your analysis but like Skellers IMVHO there is not the "everything we do is beyond wonderful" tone of CBH and Tree Lawn.
                OMG but we are ending on Rodeo and the musical choices have been ......... iffy??

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I woke up very early today, so switched on Breakfast, hoping for better news. So far, so good.

But PT was exercising the corporate policy of speaking with no punctuation whatsoever, gasping for a quick breath periodically.

Does anybody know why most of the morning Radio 3 presenters do this?

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

No EA but as you say not a bad show so far - nice bit of early morning Finzi as I type .........

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      I woke up very early today, so switched on Breakfast, hoping for better news. So far, so good.

But PT was exercising the corporate policy of speaking with no punctuation whatsoever, gasping for a quick breath periodically.

Does anybody know why most of the morning Radio 3 presenters do this?
                      I could write a short thesis on this, but I don't think this is limited to Radio 3 presenters. I think it may be a characteristic of 'Breakfast Shows'. The rationale behind Breakfast Shows is also worth considering.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        I could write a short thesis on this, but I don't think this is limited to Radio 3 presenters. I think it may be a characteristic of 'Breakfast Shows'. The rationale behind Breakfast Shows is also worth considering.
                        Rob carries on doing this until noon. Then punctuation returns.

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Rob carries on doing this until noon. Then punctuation returns.
                          I have a, probably misguided, view RC is the worst of all - he would certainly win the "Home of the Proms" Stakes by a dozen lengths. I agree with ff, IMVVHO, it is a Breakfast presentation phenomenon.......

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            I haven't noticed it on Breakfast because I never listen to it! However, it does seem to be an increasing presentational phenomenon, called in our household the 'Flog It' effect, and not restricted to breakfast time.

In that TV programme the otherwise genial presenter Paul Martin speaks his ... scripts broken up at ... random presumably to ... take breath whenever ... he feels he needs it without any regard for the natural ... phrasing.

His casual speech in interviews is perfectly normal. Presumably he doesn't realise he is doing it, but shouldn't some producer have a word in these broadcasters' ears?
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-08-15, 12:17. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Whilst awaiting FF's thesis on the matter () I wonder whether this is another fear of silence: the music stops, so something-has-to-fill-the-gap paranoia takes over.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post

In that TV programme the otherwise genial presenter Paul Martin speaks his ... scripts broken up at ... random presumably to ... take breath whenever ... he feels he needs it without any regard for the natural ... phrasing.

His casual speech in interviews is perfectly normal. Presumably he doesn't realise he is doing it, but shouldn't some producer have a word in these broadcasters ears?

Autocue, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X