• Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Coming from the Baker's?

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
      A couple of days ago I switched on and immediately thought that my radio was malfunctioning. Fortunately, I didn't rush to re-tune it which was just as well because a few minutes later I realised that it was RC playing one of his puerile little games. And this is what R3 has come to, and it is tragic.

And who are all these morons who tweet, phone, and e-mail? They just encourage this rubbish.
      While we have a calm debate are we sure they are morons every one????

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by worlingworth1 View Post
        its a perfect mix of pedantry corner meets Ed Reardon... Nyasaland isn't what it use to be
        Ahem... thank you .... ahem... it's very fair comment and kinder than we used to receive....

Do pitch in!!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          While we have a calm debate are we sure they are morons every one????
          He didn't, grammatically, claim that they ALL were. He was inquiring of members of the forum whether they knew the identity of those (perhaps only three) who could be thus described. Of course, one might take him up on his reasons for wishing to know the identities of all, say, three (or more): if he intended to go round to their houses and let their car tyres down, that couldn't be condoned.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Stanford

Originally posted by worlingworth1 View Post
            Just love this thread its a perfect mix of pedantry corner meets Ed Reardon with a side serving of Victor Meldrew and a garnish of grumpy old men/women please keep going. It reminds me of a lunch once, sitting next to a group old colonial types bemoaning the fact that Nyasaland isn't what it use to be.
            cheers me up most weeks !!!!!
            Mock if you like! I call it being open and honest about personal feelings, sadness in my case, for the BBC Radio 3 management trying to sex up and/or fix something that isn't broken. I don't call presenters talking nonsense, asking for texts and tweets off listeners, playing music backwards or playing two pieces simultaneously progress. I call it inane! I call it crass! I call it going backwards!

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              He didn't, grammatically, claim that they ALL were. He was inquiring of members of the forum whether they knew the identity of those (perhaps only three) who could be thus described. Of course, one might take him up on his reasons for wishing to know the identities of all, say, three (or more): if he intended to go round to their houses and let their car tyres down, that couldn't be condoned.
              How do All become 3?

Comment

• Zucchini
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Stanford View Post
                I don't call presenters talking nonsense, asking for texts and tweets off listeners, playing music backwards or playing two pieces simultaneously progress. I call it inane! I call it crass! I call it going backwards!
                If people (other than a few old duffers and blue stockings) wanted to listen to classical music in the early morning, symphony orchestras would give their concerts at 7.30am so that said people can enhance their evenings by watching Danish dramas, snooker and talent shows on telly before picking up a couple of greasy kebabs after popping in the pub for a Babycham...

Comment

• clive heath

Be all that as it may, we were given the prettified clarinetted "Scaramouche" in today's love-in with Clemmy and not for the first time. You can hear, see, the real thing, all of it, with Martha and Ebi here

Darius MilhaudScaramouche SuiteMartha Argerich and Akiko Ebi, pianosOctober 23rd, 2008Lyon - FranceLive

and what a rollicking joyous experience it is.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Ahem... thank you .... ahem... it's very fair comment and kinder than we used to receive....

Do pitch in!!
                    Ah, but if were [sic] going to be pedantic, Cali, its [sic] roll of honour, not rôle (ut supra), hein?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                      If people (other than a few old duffers and blue stockings) wanted to listen to classical music in the early morning, symphony orchestras would give their concerts at 7.30am so that said people can enhance their evenings by watching Danish dramas, snooker and talent shows on telly before picking up a couple of greasy kebabs after popping in the pub for a Babycham...
                      Actually, when I was at school/university, the Radio 3 content was sufficiently exciting for me to wake up early to listen to the radio. Now it's just annoying/frustrating/crass/pathetic/embarrassing…

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                        Ah, but if were [sic] going to be pedantic, Cali, its [sic]...
                        If we were going to be pedantic, it would be...

If we are going to be pedantic, it is...

(And shouldn't the commented-on phrase read kinder than we are used to receiving?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          (And shouldn't the commented-on phrase read kinder than we are used to receiving?
                          I was using 'used' in the past tense sense (I used to be unfamiliar with grammar but now I am more used to it...)
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• budscott

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Actually, when I was at school/university, the Radio 3 content was sufficiently exciting for me to wake up early to listen to the radio. Now it's just annoying/frustrating/crass/pathetic/embarrassing…
                            Moi aussi!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              How do All become 3?
                              You were the one who used 'every one' = in my view ALL i.e. I assumed, everyone who tweeted texted etc. Whereas the quote actually specified 'all these morons' which limits it to all the morons (but not necessarily all the texters, tweeters). That's why I mentioned the grammmatical point.

IOW 'all these morons' means all these who are morons, doesn't it? :-). I reckoned 'all' could not mean less than 3, otherwise it would have been 'both', or be singular. Well, we had been just accused of pedantry…)
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                I was using 'used' in the past tense sense ...
                                I did consider that possibility, but rejected it on the grounds that the unkindnesses had not ceased.

Comment

Working...
                                X