X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    The EC commissioning brief did say it was to 'hold on to as much of the Breakfast audience as possible'. And that the Breakfast programme was a 'primary entry point for new listeners'. Oh, and EC was to attract Radio 4 listeners who had been listening to the Today programme up to 9am.
    Or even those who switch over when Woman's Hour starts (actually, when the preceding c45 second cross BBC Platform puff starts)

(I rarely look in at this thread - and although I have looked at few posts or pages here, I have to admire the stamina of members who can sustain their criticisms, personal antipathies to presenters, etc for 525 pages. I suppose the innovations such as guest interviews, the delights to be found in tweets to be shared with us all re-invigorates the flow of bile. Myself I'd replay Through the Night all morning if I wanted to hear R3 in the style of 20 or more years ago).

(Don't think I don't have my own dislikes - those young nonentities on Sunday morning when Martin Handley isn't presenting are a matter of grief when I seek a refuge from "Morning Service" on Radio 4 - just as an example. But for the record, I have no objections to Sarah Walker or Rob Cowan).

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      What, as is Gogol?
      I did wonder if I'd been pronouncing it wrongly, so I looked on line before posting and found several entries gave 'GOH-gol', and none for 'Goggle', which seemed good enough!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Everyone rushes to check on Goggle!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Everyone rushes to check on Goggle!
          No, they don't because that's Essential Classics, not Breakfast . What they rush to check, after yesterday, is how to pronounce Semiramide and Semiramis <smug smiley> . Oh, and they censure the producers of the running order since they should know presenters will just read what they see written down "Come nave in ria tempest" ???

1. Eng: Se-MIR-amis; Italian Semi-RA-mide (not SemiraMEEdeh)
          2. 'Come nave in ria tempest' has an 'a' missing at the end: tempesta. If you google the whole title (sans 'a') the top four hits (and several others) link back to the BBC R3/Music. That's education …
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            Was that before or after she referred to the famous Russian author as 'Goggle'?
            Hiya Don,

Surely not 'google' as in search engine? I wonder what was going on there?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              Hiya Don,

Surely not 'google' as in search engine? I wonder what was going on there?
              No, 'goggle', as in what you did when informed of the great industrial pasta revolution!

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                pasta
                ... ah the great Pasta! - a revolution, indeed, and she was, I'm sure much goggled at. Never thought of her as 'industrial', tho'...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... ah the great Pasta! - a revolution, indeed, and she was, I'm sure much goggled at. Never thought of her as 'industrial', tho'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuditta_Pasta
                  I wonder how saucy she was...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I wonder how saucy she was...

Oh! Not at all! 'Casta Pasta Diva'.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuditta_Pasta
                      She rather overshadowed her pioneering orthodontist uncle, Al Dente
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Well, he didn't count, being of foreign extraction.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

This is getting pasta joke!

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            This is getting pasta joke!
                            I guess Lasagne Verdi is not suitable for the breakfast menu!

Comment

• StephenO

Reminds me of one of my favourite jokes -

My girlfriend laughed at me when I told her I was building a car out of spaghetti. You should have seen her face when I drove pasta.

Changing the subject (and sorry if this has been mentioned before), please could someone ask Clemency not to keep telling us that we can listen to Radio 3 "on line, on digital and on yer mobile"? I never have and never will listen to Radio 3 on "me mobile".

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                                Reminds me of one of my favourite jokes -

My girlfriend laughed at me when I told her I was building a car out of spaghetti. You should have seen her face when I drove pasta.

Changing the subject (and sorry if this has been mentioned before), please could someone ask Clemency not to keep telling us that we can listen to Radio 3 "on line, on digital and on yer mobile"? I never have and never will listen to Radio 3 on "me mobile".
                                I guess your plea for Clemency will go unheeded.

Comment

Working...
                                X