Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

But it does seem to be moving to a better place......does it not?

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Interesting clip - I initially thought there was a phantom bagpiper until I saw the soprano sax!

OG

Well there you go what happens when you attempt name dropping against the master of Alex Song and a reasonable pianist in a cycle repair shop etc. etc.
      To complete the shame of the Mike Rutherford episode ....I confirmed by Google that Mike and the Mechanics were finishing a tour in Chicago and so I informed Lady Gould of the great news ....she was scarily unimpressed....So on we went out for a walk and there he was ....I say in a very loud voice, " There he is Jules"..and get a look of not "Oh No" from MR.
      There it should have ended but on Sunday morning coming out of our room I bump into him again and far from "Oh No Not The Stalker" I get a smile of recognition and so I shake him by the hand and thank him for the music and find him charming and urbane ....two old men talking of Hotels, Chicago and Gateshead....if only I'd know we had a mutual acquaintance.......

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        As far as the playlist went: I know, I know, but ......
        pardon ? you know, you know what .... ?

Comment

• AndyJW
          • Jan 2011

I thonk I shouldn't type without my glasses on!!
          8.25am and just off for a Bombay and tonic!
          Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          I have the vague impression that I am reading this thread drunk.

I know, I know - I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I suppose to keep the flame alive I could confess to having played a gig (for charidee, it was) with Mr Rutherford along with Messrs Collins, Clapton, Starr and others inc. Gary Brooker, who co-wrote 'Whiter Shade of Pale'...

Actually: I've found the date - it was this gig http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-tour/02/07/1988 (I am not named. I was lurking in the background with my trombone and other assorted amateur blowers and pluckers...)

And I've found that it's on video...!

Thanks for triggering these memories, antonio!

(NB: nor am I Chris Barber who totters on with his trombone at the end of that clip!)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            There it should have ended but on Sunday morning coming out of our room I bump into him again and far from "Oh No Not The Stalker" I get a smile of recognition and so I shake him by the hand and thank him for the music and find him charming and urbane ....two old men talking of Hotels, Chicago and Gateshead....if only I'd know we had a mutual acquaintance.......
            Oh we humble mechanicals didn't actually talk to the stars back in '88... so you have the distinct advantage!!

There was a long but fascinating documentary about Genesis on BBC4 a month or two back, bound to be on again - look out for it: MR sits their smiling urbanely indeed.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              pardon ? you know, you know what .... ?
              Sorry, I realise that was not self evident: I know, I know (as in 'I am fully aware') that I should be admiring Mr Herrmann's powerful film music. But I didn't like the interjection of North by North West in the middle of the Breakfast menu. However, between the Gigout and the Glazunov was probably a few shades better than between the Vivaldi and the Carwithen - for me.

I am not one who likes to be 'surprised' by something totally unpredictable. It is surprise enough not to have advance playlists, so that everything is a 'surprise' in that one didn't know what was coming next.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                But it does seem to be moving to a better place......does it not?
                What does? The phone-in? I hoped it was 'blown away' like so many of the interactivists.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

#5181 - thank you very much

Comment

• doversoul1
                    Ex Member
                    • Dec 2010

Did I really hear the hills are alive....just before the end of the programme?!

[ed.] I turned the radio on at 8.58 to hear CD Review. I’ll make sure in the future to wait until 9.00.
                    Last edited by doversoul1; 28-03-15, 11:16.

Comment

• alycidon
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                      Well, I'd turned off by then - but you probably did! Nothing would surprise me anymore.
                      Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• James Wonnacott
                        • Nov 2010

[ed.] I turned the radio on at 8.58 to hear CD Review. I’ll make sure in the future to wait until 9.00.
                        'fraid so.
                        I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• alycidon
                          • Feb 2013

It's the fiftieth anniversary of the film, apparently. Some justification? I think not!
                          Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post
                            'fraid so.
                            No wonder it's been attracting the new pipe and slippers audience and losing the younger 'replenishers' ...

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              This type of programme will never be to my taste. If I'm going to listen to music for 45 minutes, I'd rather have a Beethoven string quartet and nothing else. I try to visualise a playlist which is (musically) coherent from beginning to end. But I suspect no one else would like that
                              Straight out of my heart

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                                • Apr 2011

Well, it brightened up my morning, but then I'm mourning the absence of Étonnez-Moi, Benoît from France Musique's Saturday morning schedule as a result of the strike (now into its 11th day). And there was far worse to follow on CD Review, in my view: the folksy Purcell recording included by Anna Picard.

Comment

Working...
                                X