[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      "beg" is spelt "B-E-G"
      That saves me censoring it :buggrin:

The reason I mentioned the research in my previous post is that clamouring to send in texts, tweets and emails in a music programme seems to me (so, is my opinion!) childish. One of the points made in the paper was that the children seemed to regard the audience members and what they were doing as the main fascination. The play acted as a bit of a distraction ... (or, stop the music - we want to chat).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

I'm sure there was something on the Breakfast BBC News this morning about a guy getting onto the stage somewhere and taking a selfie of himself with the orchestra (and presumably auditorium) in the background. Beggared if I can find it ont' internet though.

OG

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          I'm sure there was something on the Breakfast BBC News this morning about a guy getting onto the stage somewhere and taking a selfie of himself with the orchestra (and presumably auditorium) in the background. Beggared if I can find it ont' internet though.

OG
          What punishment for the narcissist who leapt on the Royal Festival Hall stage to take a selfie during Dvořák’s New World symphony? If only life were like the Simpsons...

Last edited by mercia; 06-03-15, 16:12.

Comment

• bb

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            If you're asking me something more in line with Morning on 3. Maybe av. 4-6 pieces per hour. No tweets &c. The news on the hour (I could just about take it on the half hour - but definitely not every 15 minutes; and no newspaper headlines). Trails only just before the news (if hourly), but best if just given by the announcer. I would personally prefer each programme to be hand-crafted with no clashes, like Eric Coates, Scott Joplin, John Williams tossed in between Bach, Monteverdi &c. No single movements. Short, intelligent introductions to the music.
            Thank you. We shall see what we can do.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bb View Post
              Thank you. We shall see what we can do.
              Have you been having a word already, bb? I will need to listen to a few complete programmes but I think I perceive some 'seriousness' creeping in here and there. It sounds like your influence, right enough ... :-)
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Thanks, mercia - that was it! Must have been in What the papers say (my italics) rather than the news...

... ah, it's all coming back now... Rubens... spit bucket and all that.

OG

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

OG
                  Teamsaint was there .......

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    Teamsaint was there .......

Yeah, but this bloke was quite tall, guv, so couldnt have been me.....whistle:

Check out the latest concert thread,for press links.The bloke from the guardian saw it all, though he wasnt paying attention during the Brahms.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Hmmm: "narcissists".

"The world is overrun with self-absorbed imbeciles with more sense of entitlement than sense who think it is their right to interpose themselves between spectators and the music or art"

So, getting back to the 'interactive' breakfast show ...

Comment

• muzzer
                        • Nov 2013

CBH just dispatched the headlines on the quarter hour with words to the effect "and the papers this morning are unsurprisingly full of george osborne's budget, but we won't dwell on that, here's some great piano-playing by...."

Bravo. More please.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Music played backwards, music slowed and down and speeded up, two pieces of music played together. It's getting like a children's programme.
                          Last edited by Stanfordian; 19-03-15, 13:13.

Comment

• AndyJW
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                            CBH just dispatched the headlines on the quarter hour with words to the effect "and the papers this morning are unsurprisingly full of george osborne's budget, but we won't dwell on that, here's some great piano-playing by...."

Bravo. More please.
                            CBH also said a world class pianist (can't remember the name now) was "on keys" !!!!

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                              Music played backwards, music slowed and down and speeded up, two pieces of music played together. It's getting like Blue Peter!
                              When I was watching Blue Peter (as a parent), the programme took its audience very seriously. That is why many people remember it with affection. If only…

[ed.] Stanfordian
                              Last edited by doversoul1; 19-03-15, 22:12.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

As far as I've been able to establish, Essential Classics draws in large audiences - who presumably are unaware that they are being treated like 8-year-olds. And 8-year-olds they will remain.

If Roger Wright's apparent strategy to turn Radio 3 into music/art 'for everyone' finally succeeds, it will no longer have a reason to exist. Why should the BBC spend so much of their, allegedly, small income on supporting Radio 3 when Classic FM does the job just as well - and in some cases better?

"What everyone should be worrying about, however, is the loss of that old drip-feed of expert, uncondescending talk about music with which the BBC created and educated an audience in the first place. Will an informed audience even exist by 2030?" Well, no - but never mind, eh.

Comment

Working...
                                X