• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
    both sexes
    Only two?

Comment

• Radio64
      • Jan 2014

Today is World Radio Day .. let's be nice to everybody!
      "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

All over the world music is about singing, dancing, spiritual uplift through religious ceremonies, in the company of others (as performer and/or audience)...
        I'm not sure that's what people were up for as they waited for Cliff Morgan to launch into the sports news.

You can sing and dance to Dubbidy, dubbidy, dubbidy, dubbidy, dah. Dah, dah, dah. and if mumbled it even makes a passable hymn or sermon in church. It can be performed creditably by people of all nationalities, both sexes, all classes and ages, indoors or outdoors and very effectively after drinking a bucket of gin. Don't knock it!
        One of the irritating points was that the first line - then repeated, alternated between two notes up, down, up, down.... It then rose a fifth and there were two more lines, alternating on two notes, up, down, up, down, by which we were just about ready to begin (after the fifth line which was on three notes).

I prefer the music to the Horse of the Year Show ...
        Last edited by french frank; 14-02-15, 11:24. Reason: Mistaken presenter, fly-half not scrum-half
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhh innit
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

both sexes

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Only two?

... ah yes, we remember Balzac's description of the boarding house in 'le Père Goriot' - "MAISON VAUQUER... Pension bourgeoise des deux sexes et autres."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I'm not sure that's what people were up for as they waited for Gareth Edwards to launch into the sports news.

One of the irritating points was that the first line - then repeated, alternated between two notes up, down, up, down.... It then rose a fifth and there were two more lines, alternating on two notes, up, down, up, down, by which we were just about ready to begin (after the fifth line which was on three notes).

I prefer the music to the Horse of the Year Show ...
              It would have taken him quite a time to have built up a 12-tone row, wouldn't it!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Well, things really are looking up. Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet on Breakfast in its entirety, uninterrupted by inane gossip, applause, tweets, texts or trailers - 19 minutes without jabbering.
                Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 14-02-15, 10:14.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Well, things really are looking up. Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet on Breakfast in its entirety, uninterrupted by inane gossip, applause, tweets, texts or trailers - 19 minutes without jabbering. :big grin:
                  Indeed a very pleasant surprise.......

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Well, things really are looking up. Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet on Breakfast in its entirety, uninterrupted by inane gossip, applause, tweets, texts or trailers - 19 minutes without jabbering.
                    Oh, what on earth persuaded them to choose that item today?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      Oh, what on earth persuaded them to choose that item today?
                      St. Valentine's Day Massacre?
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        .... ah yes, we remember Balzac's description of the boarding house in 'le Père Goriot' - "MAISON VAUQUER... Pension bourgeoise des deux sexes et autres."
                        A boarding house full of clergymen??

A little stroll among the Reverend Sydney Smith's 'Greatest Hits' will supply the reference - I'd mis-remembered that the butt of his joke was curates, though by the wild specimens of these one may still perhaps expect to be preached to death
                        Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 14-02-15, 23:00.
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                          • Nov 2010

I'm pretty sure they played it on the same programme on the same day in its entirety last year

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                            I'm pretty sure they played it on the same programme on the same day in its entirety last year
                            They played My Funny Valentine.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              St. Valentine's Day Massacre?
                              No, just Frau A's 60th birthday.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Tree Lawn has a new form of audience interaction this morning - should he play as requested Walk In The Black Forest or not? Is it "Wright" for R3? We have until 8 to stop it.....he has just reported that currently the Ayes have it!! I texted "Go for it Pet Rock"!!!!!!!
                                I noticed he framed it in such a way that listeners were merely to consider it a curiosity - not really what Radio 3 does. It didn't make the piece sound any better.

Some semi-literate producer responsible, I suppose: what do you think, Zucchers? Just caught the beginning of something that sounded like the start of the charts feature.

FoR3 survey suggested the controller should rethink the morning schedule. Punkt.

Comment

Working...
                                X