• Nov 2010

Do other trumpeters exist?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Do other trumpeters exist?
      I scuttled to the schedule and searched the page on 'Balsom'.

Let's be fair and say she played Jan Křtitel Neruda, and not all trumpeters play that. But there is a sense that the latest 'glamorous' (not necessarily women) stars get played as long as they're 'popular'.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Let's be fair and say she played Jan Křtitel Neruda, and not all trumpeters play that. But there is a sense that the latest 'glamorous' (not necessarily women) stars get played as long as they're 'popular'.
        NGA alumna

'Nuff said (see Lazy Presenters thread #11)

OG

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          NGA alumna

'Nuff said (see Lazy Presenters thread #11)

OG
          ah, a Former NGA.

( see "words...teeth on edge" thread)

Still wondering if the scheme is anything like transparent enough, given that it runs on public money.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

AB is a very fine trumpeter who deserves her success, which has nothing to do with Radio 3's celeb culture. However, there are others who deserve similar appreciation.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              ah, a Former NGA.

( see "words...teeth on edge" thread)

Still wondering if the scheme is anything like transparent enough, given that it runs on public money.
              It isn't transparent, but I fear that if too much attention is paid to that, we shall end up with a 'BBC NGA' scheme which would seek to promote young UK hopefuls. One of the 'good' things about the scheme is that it knows no international boundaries - and it does appear to 'talent-scout' across the world for young performers. If it ain't broke ... the BBC is well able to fix it.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

It isn't transparent, but I fear that if too much attention is paid to that, we shall end up with a 'BBC NGA' scheme which would seek to promote young UK hopefuls. One of the 'good' things about the scheme is that it knows no international boundaries - and it does appear to 'talent-scout' across the world for young performers. If it ain't broke ... the BBC is well able to fix it.
                Ah, but perhaps the BBC is broke!

Comment

• James Wonnacott
                  • Nov 2010

Light dawns? :-)
                  Or the Penny drops
                  I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I But there is a sense that the latest 'glamorous' (not necessarily women) stars get played as long as they're 'popular'.
                    True

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      RT - When I wrote dem words 'not necessarily women' ...

To adapt ardcarp's post, 'Do other guitarists exist?' Could be that the latest discs get burnt on to the BBC system promptly?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        A young Elvis?

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Tree Lawn has a new form of audience interaction this morning - should he play as requested Walk In The Black Forest or not? Is it "Wright" for R3? We have until 8 to stop it.....he has just reported that currently the Ayes have it!! I texted "Go for it Pet Rock"!!!!!!!

Comment

• AndyJW
                            • Jan 2011

I quite enjoyed it - it reminded me of something way back, but I don't think I'll go into that here!!!!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Give the people what they want. They demand it!!!

Not Horst Jankowski? That sounds like cyber revenge - it's about to be outlawed.

It reminds me of Radio 4's banal music introducing, I think, the Saturday morning sport. Dubbidy, dubbidy, dubbidy, dubbidy, dah. Dah, dah, dah. Repeated ad infinitum. They had enough complaints to move them to ask listeners whether they wanted it changed for something else. And they voted, NO

Comment

• Zucchini
                                • Nov 2010

It reminds me of Radio 4's banal music introducing, I think, the Saturday morning sport. Dubbidy, dubbidy, dubbidy, dubbidy, dah. Dah, dah, dah. Repeated ad infinitum. They had enough complaints to move them to ask listeners whether they wanted it changed for something else. And they voted, NO
                                All over the world music is about singing, dancing, spiritual uplift through religious ceremonies, in the company of others (as performer and/or audience)...

You can sing and dance to Dubbidy, dubbidy, dubbidy, dubbidy, dah. Dah, dah, dah. and if mumbled it even makes a passable hymn or sermon in church. It can be performed creditably by people of all nationalities, both sexes, all classes and ages, indoors or outdoors and very effectively after drinking a bucket of gin. Don't knock it!

Comment

Working...
                                X