• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    - why, on what should be a classical music programme was 'Cabaret' allowed on the playlist?
    Because Radio 3 is run by...

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      On this morning's programme PT wished Dame Judi Dench Happy 80th Birthday, which I guess many listeners would go along with. What followed demonstrated that the birthday girl, having had a great and long career as an actress chose well not to have relied heavily on her singing ability - why, on what should be a classical music programme was 'Cabaret' allowed on the playlist?
      Appears not to have been included. Was it just a simpering compliment to the octogenarian?

I was under the impression that Howard Goodall was requested by one listener (Vicar of Dibley ensued) but he doesn't seem to be on the BoB.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Appears not to have been included. Was it just a simpering compliment to the octogenarian?
        No they played her singing "Come to the cabaret" - it was dreadful. My admiration for her as an actress is unbounded but she can't sing to save her life. We've been leaving the radio on in the mornings in the background as there is work being done in the house.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
          • Dec 2010

The introduction to this video of Judi Dench as Sally Bowles (1968) explains that she played the role as a performer supposed to be "woefully untalented"

Yes, that Judi Dench...from the original London production of Cabaret in 1968...keep in mind, the character of Sally Bowles from the original stories was sup...

so perhaps she was asked to sing 'Cabaret' in the same style ? I didn't hear the performance on Breakfast.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
            The introduction to this video of Judi Dench as Sally Bowles (1968) explains that she played the role as a performer supposed to be "woefully untalented"

Yes, that Judi Dench...from the original London production of Cabaret in 1968...keep in mind, the character of Sally Bowles from the original stories was sup...

so perhaps she was asked to sing 'Cabaret' in the same style ? I didn't hear the performance on Breakfast.
            Your lucky day - don't trouble iPlayer, Oc

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Lest we forget here Proms recreation of her award winning Desiré:

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Yes, the girl done good there!

Comment

• muzzer
                  • Nov 2013

Yes was all unnecessary and patronising imho. But that's Breakfast for you. Now let's hear the arrival of the queen of sheba and we really will be at primary school. Oh.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                    Yes was all unnecessary and patronising imho. But that's Breakfast for you. Now let's hear the arrival of the queen of sheba and we really will be at primary school. Oh.
                    Very popular at weddings!

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                      Naughty boy!

And one definition of 'crossover' is Karita Mattila singing Wunderbar from Kiss Me Kate ...
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Naughty boy!

And one definition of 'crossover' is Karita Mattila singing Wunderbar from Kiss Me Kate ...
                        Another could be getting cross over what's being done to Radio 3!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Another could be getting cross over what's being done to Radio 3!
                          No, that's two words

Comment

• Penn Igor

I must admit that, apart from the ever increasing cost, I am a satisfied customer of Virgin Broadband. There is one exception though. If you need to contact them (150) you are greeted by a syrupy over the top voice giving you numerous options. (For such-and-such press one etc. You know the sort of thing). The options go on and on. So what has this got to do with R3 you may ask. Well...I am sure the voice-over woman is being used by R3 for their trailers. That voice is so distinctive...and so annoying.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Martin Handley confessed this morning to having played one of the ugly sisters in village pantomime with his dentist as the other! I think he and Skellers would make a good duo too...! (Oh yes they would!)

Comment

• ardcarp
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Erm...Rob C. has just played Bach's Cantata No 61 (Nun Komm, Jeggers, very nice) but cut it off after the soprano aria. OK. But he said, "...ending with a rousing final chorus" or words to that effect. Don't they listen to what they play on this show?

Comment

Working...
                                X