X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
    There's a clock on the studio wall, shurely?

Anyway, all is forgiven as the show finishes with the sublime Bill Evans.
    I really think she is the new Jack DM .....she regularly gets the time an hour wrong. I could have sworn this morning started with a rather nice piece by Michael Haydn? Not according to the Playlist .....I know I could listen on the iplayer but I have to pretend I am interested in Masterchef ........

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I think the Michael Haydn kicked off Rob Cowen's Essential Classics this morning, Anton.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

I have listened to iplayer and the second piece played was Michael Haydn's Bassoon Concertino in B Flat Major....

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

the Bill Evans was most welcome ...
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            I have listened to iplayer and the second piece played was Michael Haydn's Bassoon Concertino in B Flat Major....
            Apologies! That makes two Michael Haydn pieces beginning the two earliest programmes (the EC was a Symphony in Eb) - like buses!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

I heard Netrebko's September from Four Last Songs on breakfast this morning - IT WAS DREADFUL - voice unsuited to the song but to my ears she was off the note. Are the record companies so desperate to cash in on the big names that this standard of performance is allowed out!

Comment

• Zucchini
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                I heard Netrebko's September from Four Last Songs on breakfast this morning - IT WAS DREADFUL - voice unsuited to the song but to my ears she was off the note. Are the record companies so desperate to cash in on the big names that this standard of performance is allowed out!
                Of course if the record companies didn't milk the big names they would be unable and unwilling to take financial risks on new or underecorded works and promote the careers of emerging artists.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  I've migrated once more to France Musique during CBH's tenure of the Breakfast chair. They too have been playing individual tracks from the Netrebko Four Last Songs recently. Obviously the DG publicity machine still carries some weight with broadcasters. I agree with you that she sounds pretty dreadful in them. But the answer to your (rhetorical?) question is: obviously yes. This will sell and sell, particularly with the help it's getting from the broadcast and other media, and will probably be one of DG's money-makers this year, however expensive it may have been to record. And, boy, are they desperate for money-makers! Back to Janowitz for me, however.

Having said that, the reviewers seem to have fallen for it hook line and sinker. Are we the ones with the cloth ears? (Another rhetorical question for you).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                    I've migrated once more to France Musique during CBH's tenure of the Breakfast chair
                    Yes - CBH is wholly untenable. Classical-KUSC or recorded Through The Nights &c. here
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Yes - CBH is wholly untenable. Classical-KUSC or recorded Through The Nights &c. here
                      i too enjoy KUSC, but for some reason all classical music presentation that I have heard from across the pond puts me in mind of Niles Crane.
                      With all due respect of course......
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        i too enjoy KUSC, but for some reason all classical music presentation that I have heard from across the pond puts me in mind of Niles Crane.
                        With all due respect of course......
                        I know what you mean. Perhaps for the same reason, I find the breakfast time repeats of Frasier irresistible...

Martin: People think you're stuffy. You know, with your opera parties, and your wine parties and your seasoned crepe pans.

Frasier: In my defense, Niles is the only one who has ever seasoned his crepe pans.

Niles: Which is precisely why I've had the same set since the ninth grade, thank you very much.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                          I've migrated once more to France Musique during CBH's tenure of the Breakfast chair. They too have been playing individual tracks from the Netrebko Four Last Songs recently. Obviously the DG publicity machine still carries some weight with broadcasters. I agree with you that she sounds pretty dreadful in them. But the answer to your (rhetorical?) question is: obviously yes. This will sell and sell, particularly with the help it's getting from the broadcast and other media, and will probably be one of DG's money-makers this year, however expensive it may have been to record. And, boy, are they desperate for money-makers! Back to Janowitz for me, however.

Having said that, the reviewers seem to have fallen for it hook line and sinker. Are we the ones with the cloth ears? (Another rhetorical question for you).
                          Maybe but I'm happy with the way my ears work for me. Reviewers' tastes never cease to amaze me.

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

BoB now available in alphabetical order

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              BoB now available in alphabetical order
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...abetical-order
                              Still no Howard Ferguson,not for want of trying.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

On this morning's programme PT wished Dame Judi Dench Happy 80th Birthday, which I guess many listeners would go along with. What followed demonstrated that the birthday girl, having had a great and long career as an actress chose well not to have relied heavily on her singing ability - why, on what should be a classical music programme was 'Cabaret' allowed on the playlist?

Comment

Working...
                                X