• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    I had to smile the other day when during a quiz one of the presenters, I'm not sure which one it was, said the Is-Ley brothers for the Isley Brothers. Clearly do she does not know much about Tamla Motown.
    Izzley for Ize-ley? Perhaps, we ought to approve of that! Only those who had a misspent youth &c &c ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      I had to smile the other day when during a quiz one of the presenters, I'm not sure which one it was, said the Is-Ley brothers for the Isley Brothers. Clearly do she does not know much about Tamla Motown.
      Aeons ago Jack Jackson used to present the chart show on Radio Luxembourg. Each week of its presebnce in the charts, he would refer to the Four Tops' hit single as "Don't Walk Away Reenee" instead of "Don't Walk Away Renée", a mistake he could not have made had he actually heard the single ... and clearly there was no-one on hand who was able/prepared to correct him

Comment

• HARRIET HAVARD

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Yes, oh dear. The opening announcement was Ravel's Miroirs but the first note and a half were the recognisable tones of Stranger on the Shore which abruptly ceased - 'a tantalising slither of Acker Bilk's trumpet ...' Engagingly, the playlist has recorded the first item as being Stranger on the Shore - all 2 seconds of it. As they played it later in the programme, I did wonder why they were playing it twice.
        I wondered why they played it at all. Noticed this morning that a listener objected to American "trash" being played on R3. (His/her word not mine). He or she was referring to musak from Oklahoma. To his credit though, Pet Rock did read out the complaint. This was followed by a piece written by Coates to celebrate the restart of television broadcasts after hostilities had finished. At this stage I switched off....Well you can have too much of a good thing, can't you.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HARRIET HAVARD View Post
          Noticed this morning that a listener objected to American "trash" being played on R3. (His/her word not mine).
          Was that Sydney? Mr Grew? He's not too keen on American music.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• worlingworth1

Well for whats its worth ( very little in all probability ) I enjoy the "breakky programme "I think you should one morning a week listen to some of the alternative both beeb and commercial in order to put R3 in some sort of perspective .Do I enjoy every element ?, No , however on the whole its the least worse way to start the day on a radio, but nothing is perfect as the previous 472 pages point out !!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

You're probably right about "least worst", w/w1 (and welcome to the Forum) - but that has only encouraged me to avoid radio (& television) completely at the start of the day.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Hello, worlingworth - I missed your quiet arrival and would have hoped someone would have bid you welcome but I don't think they did. So welcome :-)

You're not alone in enjoying the programme though you might(?) be in a minority here. And it's not so much whether one enjoys it/doesn't enjoy it perhaps but why. And whether one feels inclined to listen to a programme which is only sometimes enjoyable.

[With acknowledgement to Mr Tarleton,] the concept of 'Benefit segmentation' has some relevance: in the case of attitudes to the Breakfast programme, it depends what an audience wants from a programme and what it definitely doesn't want. Unfortunately, as far as Breakfast is concerned, it's take it or leave it for all listeners, regardless of their 'segment'.

It doesn't seem to be proving too popular judging by the listening figures and the regular comments on various internet sites.

Comment

• Black Swan

I prefer Pet Rock but on the whole the programming is dire. I am not interested in tweets, etc. SMP is not on my list.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

The BBC does seem to have lost the plot with breakfast programmes. The BBC1 TV version is dire too, but more because the presenters seem to have no presence.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Izzley for Ize-ley? Perhaps, we ought to approve of that! Only those who had a misspent youth &c &c ...
                      Didn't we all Twist and Shout, ff?

Comment

• muzzer
                        • Nov 2013

Twist and Shout with the Isleys indeed, before it was covered..........and Shout before that. For all its faults, R3 Breakfast is preferable imho to anything else around at that time. What sort of curmudgeon that makes me I'd rather not consider. Especially as I find myself most mornings with TTN on replay. Informed unintrusive presenters, interesting programming - my fave.

Comment

• Radio64
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by worlingworth1 View Post
                          Well for whats its worth ( very little in all probability ) I enjoy the "breakky programme "I think you should one morning a week listen to some of the alternative both beeb and commercial in order to put R3 in some sort of perspective .Do I enjoy every element ?, No , however on the whole its the least worse way to start the day on a radio, but nothing is perfect as the previous 472 pages point out !!
                          Hello worlingworht and ..hurrah! Someone else who sticks up for R3Brekky!* I've been attempting R4 recently, but hardly get beyond the news headlines at 6.00..all that bickering first thing in the morning is just not my cup of tea.

*(distinct lack of CBH of late though, alas)
                          "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Didn't we all Twist and Shout, ff?
                            I find that it's more these days that, when I twist, I shout
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                              Hello worlingworht and ..hurrah! Someone else who sticks up for R3Brekky!* I've been attempting R4 recently, but hardly get beyond the news headlines at 6.00..all that bickering first thing in the morning is just not my cup of tea.

Gave up on Radio 4 years ago (during the Penny Gore years on Morning on 3). Still with Breakfast though.

OG

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post

Hadn't noticed you sticking up for the programme, though, just for Clemmie. echoed in your final sentence. You'd listen to The Archers if she was playing Jolene :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X