• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Poynton Cheshire was the home of my primary school teacher who had sung in the famous Manchester Children's Choir recording of Nymphs and Shepherds. I remember the day she played it to us, when I was 6 years old. Who needed Ten Pieces when we had a teacher who inspired us like that?
    Did you try to get through to the programme to tell them, Alpers? (They could have missed out the comment about Ten Pieces)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

WTF is MH playing now? Is Songs of Praise on a day early?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Did you try to get through to the programme to tell them, Alpers? (They could have missed out the comment about Ten Pieces)
        No - just a personal reflection re the effect the village of Poynton (and Higher Poynton) has on me.

[Edit] Did someone make a similar comment on air?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          No - just a personal reflection re the effect the village of Poynton (and Higher Poynton) has on me.

[Edit] Did someone make a similar comment on air?
          No, it just seemed like the kind of comment they piuck out specially to tell us :-)

PS Perhaps I should email in and ask the presenters to advertise the forum as an appropriate place ...
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
            Was that the Lord's Prayer set on a lake in Africa? - I was, as a true Breakfast listener, only allocating 33% of an ear

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
              I turned on in the middle and briefly contemplated sacking our cleaner for changing channels

It was a slice of Fanshawe's African Sanctus. Memo to self: DON'T EVER BUY IT! (Stay with his field recordings already on the shelf.)
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                It was a slice of Fanshawe's African Sanctus. Memo to self: DON'T EVER BUY IT! (Stay with his field recordings already on the shelf.)
                Was it a listener suggestion for Best of British? I think it was quite fashionable some years ago, in a sort of Late Junction-ish way.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                  I turned on in the middle and briefly contemplated sacking our cleaner for changing channels

MH appeared to agree with the critics later when he said something to the effect that perhaps you had to be there (that is, to hear it live with Fanshawe himself present). Not sure why, of all things, Jeremy Backhouse chose this to inflict on us. Perhaps the Vasaris are planning a recording???

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                    Not sure why, of all things, Jeremy Backhouse chose this to inflict on us.
                    Some pieces are great fun to sing?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Some pieces are great fun to sing?
                      Never sung it myself, but I've had mixed reactions from those who have. I did sit through it once, live. Never again.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                        • Apr 2011

(Next time I hope to be not live)

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                          Never sung it myself, but I've had mixed reactions from those who have. I did sit through it once, live. Never again.
                          I wasn't speaking from personal experience, by the way - just offering a possible explanation for the suggestion. For me, Carmina burana comes under the category of 'works that (often amateur) choirs sing and which they enjoy'. But it's my own prejudice because I don't like it: it may well be a better work than the African Sanctus.

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

stupidly every time I see the words "African Sanctus" I think of the Sanctus from the Missa Luba, which I appreciate is something completely different

Comment

• clive heath

....and given a lot of popularity by being used in the film "If". My LP has "Misa Criolla" on the other side which is pretty good too as you can hear here, sorry about the ad.

Comment

• HARRIET HAVARD

Switched over to Radio3 this morning to get away from the banal Today prog on 4. Evidently 3 is currently broadcasting from the Radio2 studio........how appropriate!

Comment

Working...
                                X