X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    I was thinking of the great Bill Hardcastle who, presenting TWAO with a stinking cold, revealed there'd been a telephone call to the BBC complaining he was giving it to listeners.
    I worry about that listener who phoned in. Bit like the punters who phoned ITV to find out if there was likely to be transport disruption in the Manchester area when Corrie featured a tram smash!

OG

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      I worry about that listener who phoned in. Bit like the punters who phoned ITV to find out if there was likely to be transport disruption in the Manchester area when Corrie featured a tram smash!

OG
      That's how far our culture has deteriorated. The tabloids headline incidents in soaps as though they were real.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I do wonder whether we should have had mention of "Hairy Cornflake faces porridge" and "Lonnie Donnegan's Concerto for Two Washboards" with anyone else. (French accent is execrable, but I'm not as picky as some.)

I don't think the post of D-G is likely to be vacant in the near future.
        I thought the Lonnie email may have been from someone in and around for3 displaying scorn for the whole Best of Britsh exercise?

Comment

• Zucchini
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          The tabloids headline incidents in soaps as though they were real.
          How many do you buy each day?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
            How many do you buy each day?
            You don't have to buy them: just circumambulate the newstand in the supermarket!
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              You don't have to buy them: just circumambulate the newstand in the supermarket!
              Et tu, ff?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                Et tu, ff?
                Et ego, Padraig.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... or perhaps a clerihew :

Clemency Burton Hill
                  Was not infrequently ill:
                  Some hoped she might be more often well - E
                  xcept for me - and Ian Skelly

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Still poorly still Skellers........

Comment

• HARRIET HAVARD

Having, to all intents and purposes, abandoned Breakfast, having heard that C B-H had been replaced by Skellers, thought I would give it a try: working on the vague hope that the presenters have some influence over the content. Well, if nothing else, at least I wouldn't have to listen to the saccarine comments of C B-H.

And, I must admit, it seemed to have taken a turn for the better- both content and banter wise. True we were still treated to listeners pointless emails etc, but I suppose you can't have everything, can you.

But, having not listenened to the prog for some time, one disturbing thing I am sure I noticed- it would appear that compression is back.

Comment

• HARRIET HAVARD

I don't know what ails C B-H. But, (a) is it contagious?, and (b) if so maybe Pet Rock should pay her a visit.

Comment

• Radio64
                          • Jan 2014

She's tweeted: "I'll be back as soon as I can speak!"

... we wish her well.

..don't we?
                          "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                            She's tweeted: "I'll be back as soon as I can speak!"
                            Tell her not to rush it. Best to wait till she feels 100% right again.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I do think it's *preferable* to follow R64's lead and concentrate on the presenter qualities we enjoy. Silence tells its own story ... Meanwhile, what IS that man Skelly doing? He's telling jokes!!!

More substantively (this needs some further investigation), R3 does now seem to be (following CFM's lead?) digging up some lesser known stuff, though still trotting out 'My First Playlist' items with depressing regularity.

It is a moot point (actually, is it?) whether there is much difference between a 'minority' of Breakfast listeners who can't stand the inclusion of a bit of Tippett and those who can't stand the inclusion of Juliette Greco.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

He always tells jokes, the man is a natural broadcaster........

Comment

Working...
                                X