• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
    My brother had no problem in telephoning in and speaking with Cormac during the programme in order to wish him a Happy Christmas.
    Perhaps it took everyone by surprise! But it isn't quite the same thing as the 'disguised trail': another ploy to spend 5 minutes telling people what they can hear on next/tonight/next week. Along with: "I've just played a recording by Fritz Kreisler who's going to be your special guest/ Artist of the Week, isn't he, Rob?" "Yes, Clemmie, I'll be talking to Fritz Kreisler at about 10.30 on Essential Classics."

But in any case, I DO think there's a certain egocentricity about imagining that ringing up a presenter to say whatever it is Listener X wants to say will be a good way to entertain the other half million listeners in the audience. Do people go through their address books and ring up everyone they know to wish them Happy Christmas?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Do people go through their address books and ring up everyone they know to wish them Happy Christmas?
      I wish they would. It might avoid those round robins.

AND

Writer Lynne Truss writes several responses to those annoying round-robin festive letters sent to friends, family and passing acquaintances.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

the round robins DO have a sort of peverse entertainment value.

We had a card last year which suggested that since we hadn't sent a boast by post that things must be particularly bad !!!!

We have never sent one of course.

Although when things pick up........
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          the round robins DO have a sort of peverse entertainment value.

Although when things pick up........
          They are more often than not rectangular (A4 or A5) ....and you mean the Saints are top at Christmas!

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... surely it's all cos the Percy lot had their gaff at Alnwick -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Northumberland

They had gaffs all over Northumberland vints ........

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

I have found a quiz website that asks one to name the capitals of English counties which has Northumberland as Morpeth!!!! Wiltshire as Trowbridge and to verify its credentials Greater Manchester as Manchester and Greater London as London - no mention of Norton Marlreward......

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                no mention of Norton Marlreward......
                Well, you've spelled it wrongly, haven't you! That's why!
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Well, you've spelled it wrongly, haven't you! That's why!
                  Sorry I shall leave the Forum forthwith ...

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Sorry I shall leave the Forum forthwith ...
                    Never mind. I don't know how to pronounce All-un-wick, so we're equal ...

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

I have found a quiz website that asks one to name the capitals of English counties which has Northumberland as Morpeth!!!! Wiltshire as Trowbridge and to verify its credentials Greater Manchester as Manchester and Greater London as London - no mention of Norton Marlreward......
                      My recently purchased copy of "An Encycopaedia of North East England" by Richard Lomas has it that following the creation of the Alnwick Barony by Henry I, the first owner, Ivo de Vesci (Vassy in Normandy) decided to locate the capital of his barony in Alnwick and built the castle there. Perhaps this is where it comes from.

OG
                      Last edited by Old Grumpy; 03-09-14, 08:54. Reason: Book name corrected

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

They had that VERY expensive advertising campaign using the brand new technology of the 'Sound Spot' that was on most of television (except BBC Three) and certainly (audio only!) on R4 and R2, using Rob Cowan as the Voice of Radio 3. They also printed adverts for Breakfast on the Proms programmes one year -
                        Sorry to keep on about it but has there been a thorough review of these campaigns, and a follow-up survey on how many (or at least a trend) new listeners, i.e., those who came to Radio3 to hear Breakfast, have go on to listen to the rest of R3? Or does it not matter as long as more people join in Breakfast?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

I never listen to CFM - except that I did, for about 20 minutes, on a car journey last week. It was equally intolerable to Radio three in the morning (although this was the afternoon): gushy-voiced (male) presenter, single movements of war-horse music with extravagant sound engineering, interminable adverts.

Unfortunately my CD player, which happened to have only two CDs loaded, is located in the boot of the car....

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            I never listen to CFM - except that I did, for about 20 minutes, on a car journey last week. It was equally intolerable to Radio three in the morning (although this was the afternoon): gushy-voiced (male) presenter, single movements of war-horse music with extravagant sound engineering, interminable adverts.

Unfortunately my CD player, which happened to have only two CDs loaded, is located in the boot of the car....
                            If your CD player is in the boot, it rather begs the question of what you have on your dashboard, KB !!

Spare wheel?
                            Picnic blanket?
                            Bag of things that are bound to come in useful one day?
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              If your CD player is in the boot, it rather begs the question of what you have on your dashboard, KB !!

Spare wheel?
                              Picnic blanket?
                              Bag of things that are bound to come in useful one day?
                              All of the above, TS, as well as my trusty Catapult Cavaliers catapult, in case of emergency.

I drive an elderly Weltdominationwagen, which has the business end of the CD player artfully concealed in the boot. You can load this with up to 6 CDs, and can choose CD, tracks etc from the Hauptkontroll on the Deschboard.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                All of the above, TS, as well as my trusty Catapult Cavaliers catapult, in case of emergency.

I drive an elderly Weltdominationwagen, which has the business end of the CD player artfully concealed in the boot. You can load this with up to 6 CDs, and can choose CD, tracks etc from the Hauptkontroll on the Deschboard.
                                Well that all sounds very groovy. So you DO have the spare wheel on the dashboard ?!?!?!?

Gotta love german engineering.

What is a cavaliers catapult? A real catapult? Could it be used to draw the attention of a passing RAC patrol perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X