X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

I caught the announcement that the last work played on the programme was Pergolesi’s Stabat Marter, so I went back later to see who the singers were and if it was the entire work. It was. Like you, I was rather impressed by the playlist. I only listen to a very small portion but the presenter sounded pleasantly intelligent.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

If only they would drop all the incentives to listeners to get in touch. It wastes so much time telling everyone who has requested X before it's played, after it's been played, reading out the name of a work by someone else (Glass's Symph. No 2, this morning) and then not playing it (don't say it, anyone!), repeating at regular intervals - and then throughout the week - why it is we're talking about subject Y (there was a story in the D. Telegraph), giving out details of a concert tonight in Alnwick Town Hall ...

What has become clear is that Essential Classics is now the 'flagship' <sigh> morning programme and Breakfast is the Early Junkshop.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        0759: '...a piece of Handel that blew one of our listeners' minds.'
        There is more than one listener?

(or, perhaps, with a slight shift in the apostrophe's position, it's one listener in two minds)

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
          • Nov 2010

This "music that blew your mind" thread running in Breakfast is essentially "what's your very favourite piece of music?".

99% of the pieces mentioned are, for me, so-so or humdrum but I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with my choices or anyone else's for that matter. So what's the POINT of it all? Is it simply to show that listeners are interacting, get to hear their names read out and thus feel all inclusive with the presenter?

And now we have the daily request for composers, amateur and professional, to come up with music to Susan Hill's christmas carol words. And the announcement just goes on and on....
          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            .........giving out details of a concert tonight in Alnwick Town Hall .........

Nothing at all wrong with that IMVHO .......

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Nothing at all wrong with that IMVHO .......
              Gar! Now if it had been Norton Malreward ...
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Gar! Now if it had been Norton Malreward ...

And Norton Malreward is the capital of.......???????

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                  • Nov 2010

This morning's playlist looks a pretty standard Breakfast affair. 7 warhorses out of 23 chunks, the Ades and Berio have been on breakfast before and aren't challenging and I'm fairly sure so has the Harvey, the Pergolesi is a CFM favourite. If the new Politburo do change anything I would imagine it would be slowly at least initially.

Comment

• doversoul1
                    Ex Member
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                    the Pergolesi is a CFM favourite.
                    In that case, I might switch over to CFM It may be a very popular work but that does not mean musically valueless, and it isn’t that often heard on R3, unless bits of the work are played on Breakfast, in which case I wouldn’t know.

From purely the point of playlist, I think I would have been pleased to hear the programme a few years ago, although the interactive elements would have put me off.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      and I'm fairly sure so has the Harvey
                      6th Dec 2012, Performer: Tenor bell at Winchester Cathedral ... Which Mr Bell was that, I wonder?

The Pergolesi was, if remember, a listener request. Can't remember whether it was a Best of British, a Neglected Composer, or a Piece That Blew My Mind

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

The Pergolesi was, if remember, a listener request. Can't remember whether it was a Best of British, a Neglected Composer, or a Piece That Blew My Mind
                        ‘Life-changing’ music, I think. I heard the phrase twice in less than two hours today, and I’m sure I heard it more than once on R3 recently. Is it the buzzword now?

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          And Norton Malreward is the capital of.......???????
                          Why does it have to be a capital? Let me tell you (courtesy Wikipedia), "... a detachment of the Dundry Home Guard had a draughty corrugated-iron look-out shed on the top of the tumulus [of nearby Maes Knoll]." Trump that with your Alnwick, if you can!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                            ‘Life-changing’ music, I think. I heard the phrase twice in less than two hours today, and I’m sure I heard it more than once on R3 recently. Is it the buzzword now?
                            As in 'Life-changing injuries'?

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                              Is it the buzzword now?
                              I th-th-think it might be a variant of mindblowing. With life-affirming.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Why does it have to be a capital? Let me tell you (courtesy Wikipedia), "... a detachment of the Dundry Home Guard had a draughty corrugated-iron look-out shed on the top of the tumulus [of nearby Maes Knoll]." Trump that with your Alnwick, if you can!
                                Alnwick, as everyone surely knows, is the capital of Northumberland .....

Comment

Working...
                                X