X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

The reason I listen to this dreadful programme so often is that I live in hope that it will improve, and also because if anyone ever asks me, I can tell them I listen to Radio 3.
    Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is, as has been remarked, the definition of insanity.

As Aeolium correctly points out, all those who continue to listen to Breakfast are endorsing the station's approach by boosting its listener numbers.
    Last edited by Sir Velo; 20-08-14, 19:12.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

Who needs Interrogators these days, when they can just play back to back Breakfast programmes. I'd confess in 10 minutes or more likely less!

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is, as has been remarked, the definition of insanity.
        sounds just like the CoE prayers for the head of state - shown in late 19th Century to have had no effect ever since CoE founded but still repeated each week - maybe EA goes thro the same ritual self-abasement 'for the good of his soul';

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          all those who continue to listen to Breakfast are endorsing the station's approach by boosting its listener numbers.
          Not necessarily: in the unlikely event that you get a chance to be in Rajar's sample one week, don't say you listened between 6.30 and midday. In fact you don't have to say you listened to R3 at all ... as a practical exercise in protest (even if you did).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Not necessarily: in the unlikely event that you get a chance to be in Rajar's sample one week, don't say you listened between 6.30 and midday. In fact you don't have to say you listened to R3 at all ... as a practical exercise in protest (even if you did).
            Thanks for the tip FF. Duly noted.

Comment

• Hitch
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Blotto View Post
              I do see your point, EA, and sympathise with its spirit. However, it is unlikely that a thing approached sourly will ever become sweet to you. Both parties are worse off; you don't enjoy, it's not enjoyed.

Aeolium's boycott won't be noticed (unless s/he's a part of the weekly audience research survey or the sudden boiling of his kettle during a particularly fatuous Tweet is noted at the National Grid). However, the sum total of human happiness is increased by one. That's a quantifiable improvement in the current state of affairs.

Mind you, there is also some harmless pleasure to be had in a good grumble, now and again.
              In the name of harmless pleasure: Beeching's axe fell on Britain's railways after some most unfortunate, and no doubt completely accidental, alterations to timetables, reducing the number of trains that ran at convenient times for the travelling public. "Nobody seems to be using this branch line - we'll have to close it to save money." Would it be naughty of me to speculate that R3 is being softened up for a similar chopping?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
                Would it be naughty of me to speculate that R3 is being softened up for a similar chopping?
                I'm thinking to suggest in our submission that such BBC secrecy gives rise to conspiracy theories, and that since last time no one knew of any strategy to 'dumb down' Radio 3 until after the Trust consultation had closed, the decisions had been taken and the report published, we hoped that such decisions of public interest would not be taken behind closed doors again. Though 'water' and 'ducks' backs' spring to mind
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                  • Mar 2007

I had actually written a response to another post complaining re removal of HD from iplayer - it had crossed my mind that possibly the BBC's plan to close R3 were more advanced than I thought - I'd expected the removal of R3 from FM and onto DAB in next year or so but possibly now it will be pushed straight to HD in real time (easy to turn this into a subscription scheme when the Tories finally privatise BBC) with a reduced bit rate available on catch up

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                    Who needs Interrogators these days, when they can just play back to back Breakfast programmes. I'd confess in 10 minutes or more likely less!
                    But Suffolkcoastal, does this violate the Geneva Convention on Human Rights? I am not sure but I do agree with you whole heartedly.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Top tip.

Don't listen to breakfast or in tune.
                      Listen to Haydn instead.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                        Top tip.

Don't listen to breakfast or in tune.
                        Listen to Haydn instead.
                        A case of Haydn sic?

Comment

• Blotto

Desert Island Discs - tonight, I've listened to Brian Redhead's edition from 1986.

Elisabeth Soderstrom from 1979:

Boris Christoff:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            A case of Haydn sic?
                            More a Haydn to nothing

Comment

• Ockeghem's Razor

What is suitable breakfast music? 'Albert Herring' with yer kippers?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                In 50+ years of listening to R3 - and hardly ever anything else until quite recently - I have never been sampled for my listening habits. Therefore the stats are slightly understated for R3....

Comment

Working...
                                X