Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Subscription - I could live with that - but presumably every radio listener would have invest in a new receiver to permit some form of pay wall technology. "Freeview" for television viewers would presumably no longer exist - or at least BBC channels would not be included.

General taxation - OK, but presumably taxes would have to be increased (never popular with any government or the electorate) or something else would have to be cut.

HH - I meant a replacement for the licence fee, not the BBC - but is has provoked some interesting posts!

OG

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
      The contribution the one before the last sounds remarkably like the argument for the unfairness of council tax i.e. per house rather than per residents therein !!!
      The licence fee is surely less fair in that respect since it is, specifically, for watching television. If almost the entire population (measured as aged 4 or over) watches, an awful lot of adults in full employment must be getting their TV watching absolutely free (or paid for by somebody else). The unfairness of the poll tax was that it was a flat rate broad-banded tax which everyone in each band paid the same regardless of income.

General taxation means it's paid by all taxpayers on the basis of their income. And on that basis I would be perfectly willing to pay up, even though I don't have a television and have no intention of getting one: as with many other state-provided benefits which not everyone uses, the amount needed is apportioned among all taxpayers, based on income rather than the amount the service is used/needed.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        I suppose these letters could include second and third (... seventh?) reminders.
        I have 15 unopened reminders addressed to 'The Legal Occupier' here in UK and about 10 in IoM - I used to bin then in past but thought I'd collect a full set (the ref number cycles ) think I'm on 3rd such at UK address - in past I was promised a surprise visit (so far none seen), my days in court etc etc.

My own preference is for the whole of BBC TV to go commercial along with R1 + R2 - maybe some form of R4 and some form of BBC news can be kept paid for out of general taxation but at arms length (rather like the Research Councils) but unless the BBC changes its attitude to the punters it will die as funding is cut back .

Comment

• Ockeghem's Razor

I have had a surprise visit: they took one look at a room full of bookcases and decided that I was telling the truth about not having a TV. The most hilarious example of their pursuit was the red letter sent to the holiday cottage of my friends in Aberdeenshire ( very remote)--there was no electricity in the house, delightfully lit by oil lamps and candles.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Ockeghem's Razor View Post
            I have had a surprise visit: they took one look at a room full of bookcases and decided that I was telling the truth about not having a TV. The most hilarious example of their pursuit was the red letter sent to the holiday cottage of my friends in Aberdeenshire ( very remote)--there was no electricity in the house, delightfully lit by oil lamps and candles.
            To be fair, many people in those circumstances might have a small generator, or run a 12v television off a car battery, as caravanners do.

Is it not true that visiting TV inspectors can only enter your house if you invite them in, as they have no power of entry themselves. (They could probably see your plethora of books from the doorstep anyway by the sound of it!)

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
              Is it not true that visiting TV inspectors can only enter your house if you invite them in, as they have no power of entry themselves.
              Or if they are accompanied by a policeman with a warrant

I think they would probably have needed to see a set in full view showing EastEnders in your front room to go to those lengths.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• clive heath

My point in #4365 was not about the poll tax, which wasn't mentioned, it was about the similarity of arguments that might be used to justify casting around for alternatives to e.g. Council Tax, TV Licence as currently structured.

Comment

• Ockeghem's Razor

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I think they would probably have needed to see a set in full view showing EastEnders in your front room to go to those lengths.
                  Aye, right,

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

People who do that only have themselves to blame.

watching eastenders, that is.

I assume you mean police officer, FF .....
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      I assume you mean police officer, FF .....
                      Not sure - some householders can turn quite nasty

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Not sure - some householders can turn quite nasty

anyway, I know its an important issue, but somehow I can't read about it without thinking about The Young Ones.......
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          I know its an important issue, but somehow I can't read about it without thinking about The Young Ones.......
                          TVL used to have a page (possibly discontinued when Capita took over) which was "Funny stories we have heard." Such as X has a monochrome licence but the inspector interrupts while X is watching his (or her) colour telly. X gazes at the screen in amazement. "How did that happen? It's never done that before" &c &c.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

TVL used to have a page (possibly discontinued when Capita took over) which was "Funny stories we have heard." Such as X has a monochrome licence but the inspector interrupts while X is watching his (or her) colour telly. X gazes at the screen in amazement. "How did that happen? It's never done that before" &c &c.
                            For some reason, I read this as "has an X chromosome", which gave a whole other story from the one you were telling.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HARRIET HAVARD View Post
                              As far as I am concerned the BBC no longer exists, so, what would replace it is of no consequence to me.

Thankfully for me the Beeb still exists with Alwyn symphonies and the like.......I have just gone on the Sky web site and Mr. Murdoch offered me something called me his Original Bundle for about 250 quid - I declined.......

Comment

• DavidA

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Welcome to the forum, DavidA - very daring of you to mention a certain other radio station in your opening post!
                                I'm a daring kind of man. And a refugee from Classic FM. I just cannot listen to it anymore...

Comment

Working...
                                X