X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The programme concept is the problem. We're supposed to believe that the programmes are put together so much at the last minute that the playlists can't be published until after the programme has been broadcast - yet on a weekday there will be up to 23 different pieces which have to be checked for pronunciation and scripted snippets of useful information (e.g. X will be performing at tonight's Prom) in between being briefed on who is phoning in on the non phone-in ('we don't do phone-ins' - R Wright), checking the news headlines, coping with off the cuff texts, tweets and emails, tweeting ....

This is broadcasting for people on the move (av. age 59, about a third in full-time employment).

It would be an interesting experiment to see what would happen if they assumed a more leisured audience, able to listen to rather longer pieces, a bit more fussy about what they're listening to.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Wallace

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      This is broadcasting for people on the move (av. age 59, about a third in full-time employment).

It would be an interesting experiment to see what would happen if they assumed a more leisured audience, able to listen to rather longer pieces, a bit more fussy about what they're listening to.
      And presented by someone age 59 or thereabouts

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
        Or maybe advised by someone age 59 or thereabouts?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
          A fair number of Radio 3's presenters are 60+, just not on Breakfast which aims to attract new listeners ...
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

Yes I thought Georgia Mann was good this morning. There seemed to be less tweet mania - tho of course it is the weekend - and she spoke clearly without gushing. Marvellous.

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
              Yes I thought Georgia Mann was good this morning. There seemed to be less tweet mania - tho of course it is the weekend - and she spoke clearly without gushing. Marvellous.

.....and as she is a producer is it relatively certain who chose the music played?.......

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Or maybe advised by someone age 59 or thereabouts?
                Roger Wright is 58.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Roger Wright is 58.

Comment

• AndyJW
                    • Jan 2011

QUOTE=muzzer;420487]Yes I thought Georgia Mann was good this morning. There seemed to be less tweet mania - tho of course it is the weekend - and she spoke clearly without gushing. Marvellous.[/QUOTE]

I caught a bit of the programme and I thought her presentation was really good. Didn't hear any requests for tweets either.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Roger Wright is 58.
                      Who he?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Every time I switch on there seems to be some endless piece of Delius - have they got it on a loop...?

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• muzzer
                          • Nov 2013

I hope so

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Analysing (sorry! FWIW) the Georgia Mann selection (certainly capable of selecting, though as presenter she presumably had a producer too?), I would divide up the 14 pieces as follows:

List A. Well-known rep suitable for new listeners, + plus 'lighter' pieces, might find on CFM:

Butterworth: BoGW
                            Grofé: Grand Canyon (listener request)
                            Elgar: I&A for Strings
                            Rota: 8 ½
                            Schubert: Notturno

List B. Still mainstream CFM composers, without the well-known 'tunes':

Mendelssohn: Capriccio
                            Vivaldi: Violin Concerto
                            Telemann: Concerto for 3 oboes
                            [Might include the Sculthorpe here because, ordinarily, it's no more likely to be on R3 than CFM; but easy on ear]

List C. Slightly more unusual pieces:

Debussy: Petite suite
                            Fauré: Two Songs, No.1 (CFM doesn't have much singing at breakfast, other than the odd operatic aria)

List D. Composers/works unlikely to be dug up by CFM:

Juan García Zéspedes (good S. American pronunciation!) - but a bit of the 'popular' Arpeggiata/Jordi Savall sound
                            Alwyn: Suite for oboe and harp (though film music might be played on CFM)
                            Stanford: one song from Songs of the Fleet.

So there are a handful of pieces that might not be on CFM - although it does turn up the odd little-known piece now and again. Main differences between the two stations here were an (almost) absence of single movements and no blockbuster film music, which is a CFM staple.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Who he?
                              More "What he?", perhaps - as in "history".
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

I know the Petite Suite but have never heard of Rota

Comment

Working...
                                X