Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radio64
    • Jan 2014

Glad to read there's been lots of healthy Breakfast-grumping going on in my absence!
    "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I'm willing to bet he hasn't stopped grumping!
      It's in the OED, you know, though they say it means 'to sulk'. Free Dictionary says 'to mutter complaints, behave in a grumpy manner' .
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Radio64
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        It's in the OED, you know, though they say it means 'to sulk'. Free Dictionary says 'to mutter complaints, behave in a grumpy manner' .
        Perhaps both definitions are valid here, to a certain extent.
        "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
          Perhaps both definitions are valid here, to a certain extent.
          The way I used it is clearly a modern one. The OED says 'This entry has not yet been fully updated (first published 1900).' In fact, it doesn't look as if it's been updated at all: one example of the verbal use - 1875.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Nothing wrong with a spot of grumping from time to time!

OG

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
              Nothing wrong with a spot of grumping from time to time!

OG
              Indeed OG we could rename the thread The Grumping Thread

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

I know it's on 'Essential Classics' rather than 'Breakfast', but I coaught the quiz or conundrum one day last week when it was music played backwards. I'm now waiting for them to have 'one song to the tune of another' as the quiz.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Grumping is fully justified as long as Radio 3 morings, In Tune and The Choir continue with their suicide missions.

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    Indeed OG we could rename the thread The Grumping Thread
                    'Grumping' sounds quite woolly and friendly and without malice to my ear; what I hear in this thread is more like 'sniding', a cold carping bite with evil intent.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

There's nothing evil about striving for something better.

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

today's Best of British George Lloyd because Trelawn had "received a lot of grief" for not having included him thus far - but in the interests of balance, by the end of the piece [Symphony 6/iii], someone had tweeted that Lloyd (and Bantock) were quite justifiably neglected. Plus emails from people complaining about Proms trailers.

I was just wondering if there is some condition of the licence agreement* that the BBC not only provides contact addresses/phone numbers for feedback on its programmes but that that feedback should be regularly made public. I mean Points Of View has been a very long-running TV programme of viewer feedback - people have presumably been writing to the BBC from its very inception with their comments positive and negative. If the Beeb didn't want to receive comments it would be easy enough for them to close down all points of contact. But are they required 'by law' to provide easy contact ?

..... and having asked for feedback, or been obliged to ask for feedback, what to do with it ...... other than file it or read it out on air ?

* perhaps I don't mean licence agreement but charter or covenant or one of those words
                        Last edited by mercia; 29-07-14, 12:16.

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          today's Best of British George Lloyd because Trelawn had "received a lot of grief" for not having included him thus far - but in the interests of balance, by the end of the piece [Symphony 6/iii], someone had tweeted that Lloyd (and Bantock) were quite justifiably neglected. Plus emails from people complaining about Proms trailers.

I was just wondering if there is some condition of the licence agreement that the BBC not only provides contact addresses/phone numbers for feedback on its programmes but that that feedback should be regularly made public. I mean Points Of View has been a very long-running TV programme of viewer feedback - people have presumably been writing to the BBC from its very inception with their comments positive and negative. If the Beeb didn't want to receive comments it would be easy enough for them to close down all points of contact. But are they required 'by law' to provide easy contact ?
                          Yes I heard that mercs and the very same thought crossed my mind.....I couldn't understand why TreeLawn had read the anti-Lloyd response out in such a rush.....

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                            'Grumping' sounds quite woolly and friendly and without malice to my ear; what I hear in this thread is more like 'sniding', a cold carping bite with evil intent.
                            Well, I went through the Breakfast programme that got a 'bad press', and Padraig will be happy to learn that I was not as unfavourably impressed. Yes, we had a presenter quite unused to introducing classical music. I don't think that is a good thing - either for those able to recognise the deficiencies or those who aren't.

Management is responsible for engaging them and - it seems to me - producers have a 'duty of care' to ensure that nothing too awful is said, and that all information that should be given is included in the running order. I didn't think this was 'too awful', other than in displaying a poor knowledge of how to pronounce anything 'foreign' (Latin, French, Spanish) and an 'over-carefulness' at times. It's a bit of a tall order to expect anyone thrown in at the deep end to sound as if it's all familiar to them.

I can only suppose that the more experienced Radio 3 presenters don't want to work unsocial hours in Salford, and certainly not at week-ends: John Shea, Paul Guinery, Catriona Young, Louise Fryer, Penny Gore. Ian Skelly has been a good 'back-up', but from his BBC bio he seems to be first and foremost a writer. I don't think a stream of BBC radio presenters, bussed in from various other stations to help out as and when, shows much of a sense that good music presenting matters much on Radio 3; or that a knowledge of classical music is more than a desirable add-on.

[Ed: This has been a long time a-coming - will consider mercs's points too ]

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I can only suppose that the more experienced Radio 3 presenters don't want to work unsocial hours in Salford, and certainly not at week-ends: John Shea, Paul Guinery, Catriona Young, Louise Fryer, Penny Gore. Ian Skelly has been a good 'back-up', but from his BBC bio he seems to be first and foremost a writer. I don't think a stream of BBC radio presenters, bussed in from various other stations to help out as and when, shows much of a sense that good music presenting matters much on Radio 3; or that a knowledge of classical music is more than a desirable add-on.
                              FF: Do we know WHY Breakfast has to come out of Salford on Saturday and Sunday? It has always seemed decidely weird to hoike Martin Handley all the way from Kent to present the show in Salford which incurs heavy expenses in travel and overnight subsistence. Especially as on Sunday the handover at 9a.m is to Rob Cowan - down in London!
                              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Yes I heard that mercs and the very same thought crossed my mind.....I couldn't understand why TreeLawn had read the anti-Lloyd response out in such a rush.....

Ditto here. Would he have done the same if someone had tweeted in after a Benjamin Briitten piece had been played to say that they didn't like BB's style and much preferred George Lloyd?
                                Very odd.
                                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Working...
                                X