• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt
    It'll probably be average age 66 now.
    Yes, Paul. Going from memory (i.e. I haven't located the document yet), if you look at the Charter review documentation, efforts to reach a wider audience between 2000 and 2004 resulted in the listeners becoming on average older, whiter, and slightly higher social class
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

>>he was expected to make his breakfast show 'more breakfast-y'

That's because his bosses were* patronising, self-serving, wrong-headed fools.

( imo )

* Still are, probably !
      Yes, that could have been the reason in the case of 6 Music . But ... why would they be wanting to make R3 more breakfast-y?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

It'll probably be average age 66 now.
        Have we any idea what the average age of those gathered here in the name of R3 is?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Salzburg, Frankfurt, Paris

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Have we any idea what the average age of those gathered here in the name of R3 is?
            I'm happy to start the proverbial ball rolling. I'm 67. Regarding #144, my hair is whiter, but my social class has probably remained whatever it was. Perhaps I should update my profile, what with the census coming and all...

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

well I am almost 62 and salymap is 31

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Thank you Anton, I was once.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I do actually have some figures now. Only a relatively small number (85) have divulged their age but those who have reveal a pattern not wholly dissimilar to the average Radio 3 profile. There are fewer over 65s and and fewer 45s to 54s. This leaves a larger 55s to 64s group (plumb in the middle of the station's average). Also rather fewer 35s to 44s.

Forum over 65s 27% R3 average 37%

Forum 55-64s 36.4% R3 average 23%

Forum 45-54s 20% R3 average 18.4%

Forum 35-44s 7% R3 average 11.3%

Forum 25-34s 6% R3 average 6.3%

Forum under 25s 3.6% R3 average 4.0%

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

hercule,

Before

After ?

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

that was certainly one of the multiple choice answers we were given

a photo for every occasion - how very ...... mmmmm ....... pertinent

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

After
                        The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

is that Sylvia Peters? - no probably not

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

When Rob was interviewing Tom Service the other day over the Red Nose day mularkey, and Tom's spell at the Comedy Store, Tom said 'I know you're here rehearsing all the links from five a.m.' It had never occurred to me that presenters would do this. I suppose that explains partly the smoothness of the presentation. And it would explain the different approach on other stations. Does anyone know how widespread this practice is at the BBC? I posted elsewhere about the striking ability of Verity Sharpe to sound like she's ad libbing all her announcements. (BTW, where's she gone?)

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

kernelbogey - I heard that too - but I thought Tom Service was teasing and did not seriously mean it!

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                                • Nov 2010

I see next week the 'Commercial Breakfast Show' will be having celebrity guests in after 9am to select five choices of their own. Please, please, please RW resign now and do us all a favour before the whole of R3 ends up just like any other commercial radio station.

Comment

Working...
                                X