The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Honoured Guest

Should JEG have been permitted to make an appearance at the Hay Festival if Ena had too much of a life to attend the event?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Just have to vent this somewhere - is there no end to Tchaikovsky's banality? Having sat through the ruddy piano concerto, on Saturday, this Capriccio Italien is an incredible load of old rubbish!!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Just have to vent this somewhere - is there no end to Tchaikovsky's banality? Having sat through the ruddy piano concerto... !
        Which of the three is the ruddy one? I didn't even know he swung to the left.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Oh, I see. I thought that as it was on the Breakfast thread, it was yet another of those chat interludes. I stand corrected.
          Pas de prob!

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Just have to vent this somewhere - is there no end to Tchaikovsky's banality? Having sat through the ruddy piano concerto, on Saturday, this Capriccio Italien is an incredible load of old rubbish!!
            You cheerless individual, Cali - Capriccio Italien is a bright uplifting piece - try the Kondrashin or Alwyn recordings and then smile

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

... this Capriccio Italien is an incredible load of old rubbish!!
              - not one of Peter Illych's best moments, is it? (If you're going to repeat a tune eighty times, each time louder, you should at least pick a decent tune!) The Souvenir de Florence is a much better listen.

Which reminds me: has anyone mentioned The Magic Roundabout on the "Nostalgic Kids' TV Themes" Thread?
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                You cheerless individual, Cali - Capriccio Italien is a bright uplifting piece - try the Kondrashin or Alwyn recordings and then smile
                "Smile"?! It positively has me in stitches!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Was it the version by Geraldo and his Orchestra??
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Much more of a chance of a smile from recent responses to my outburst, than from Capriccio Italien, I think!

I realise I should have posted on Essential Classics (ironically)... but this'll have to do ("in a new place")
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Much more of a chance of a smile from recent responses to my outburst, than from Capriccio Italien, I think!

I realise I should have posted on Essential Classics (ironically)... but this'll have to do ("in a new place")
                      I see it was the Alwyn recording - then there's no hope for you cali. Maybe you have an Illych by-pass -try Stoki's Francesca and if that doesn't light your candle from the flames of the inferno....

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Just have to vent this somewhere - is there no end to Tchaikovsky's banality? Having sat through the ruddy piano concerto, on Saturday...
                        ... just reading James Agate's 'Ego' vol 6 - a quote from William Glock in 'The Observer' for 4 July 1943 :

"Innumerable performances of Tschaikowsky's piano concerto fail to yield the elementary lesson that such music should be abandoned."

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Good to hear the sound of venting accompanying the early summer bird song.OldTchaik really does seem to be more "on or off" than other greats. Totally agree about the CI, , the PCs are mixed at best, and the VC......

And if the rococo variations had any redeeming qualities,they have long since passed on, pinned forever on a BBC turntable, or with a CFM stylus delivering the coup de grace.

But the good stuff .......genius.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Good to hear the sound of venting accompanying the early summer bird song.OldTchaik really does seem to be more "on or off" than other greats. Totally agree about the CI, , the PCs are mixed at best, and the VC......

And if the rococo variations had any redeeming qualities,they have long since passed on, pinned forever on a BBC turntable, or with a CFM stylus delivering the coup de grace.

But the good stuff .......genius.
                            CI is really good in the right hands and maybe a warhorse that has been stuffed with too much breakfast. The 2nd movement of PC2 is sheer beauty, I have definite soft spot for the serenade for strings and I was won over to Marche Slave by Stoki's approach to it many years ago.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

You have got up too early again.....

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                I have definite soft spot for the serenade for strings
                                Me too. Some friends gave my parents a 12" shellac record. As it was the only record they possessed, it was kept on the radiogram turntable. Not sure that they ever played it, but I did (aged about 9), now and again.

[Actually, it was just the Waltz, I think with the Valse des fleurs on the other side.]
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X