X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    wiki says (which doesn't answer your question)

In 1886, the suite for string quartet, Fridays (Les Vendredis), was written by Nikolai Artsybushev, Borodin, Felix Blumenfeld, Glazunov, Alexander Kopylov, Lyadov, Maximilian D'Osten-Sacken, Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolai Sokolov and Joseph Wihtol. Borodin later orchestrated his section as the Scherzo of his Symphony No. 3, which was left unfinished at his death and later completed by Glazunov

if this was the CD, it says the polka is by Kopilov
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/les-ve...s-mw0001944348
    According to the score of the string orchestra arrangement of the Polka, the first 43.5 bars (up to the first change of key) are by Sokolov, the rest of the first section (60.5 bars) is by Glazounov, and the Trio section is by Lyadov. (See http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/...51740score.pdf )

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

I think my last link shows that each movement was written by a different composer - crossposted with sub who obviously knows a good deal more about it

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

I think my last link shows that each movement was written by a different composer - crossposted with sub who obviously knows a good deal more about it
        All the other 15 movements are each by a different composer. Only the Polka has multiple composers.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

To complicate matters, there seem to be two Polkas, one in D (which was played this morning) and one in C which seems to be the one attributed to Kopylov.

I think the CD might attribute the one that was played to Sokolov: the Radio 3 site helpfully suggests that it was composed by Sokoloff in collaboration with Liadov and Sokolov. No mention of Glazounov. Petroc only mentioned Sokolov.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

oops - I didn't notice the Polka in Book 1 - basically ignore everything I have said

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

oops - I didn't notice the Polka in Book 1 - basically ignore everything I have said
              I would never do that, mercs

Petroc only mentioned Sokolov.
              Or Sokoloff.

I'm just making an assessment of Radio 3's online content. It's been richly rewarding!
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I would never do that, mercs

Or Sokoloff.

I'm just making an assessment of Radio 3's online content. It's been richly rewarding!
                I think the whole thing may have been put together by Petrokoff. But my Grove has now become strangely blurred.

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Glad you liked it. I must have missed that bit.
                  I have to agree with Alpiesinfonie, I must have missed the part that part this morning.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                    I think the whole thing may have been put together by Petrokoff. But my Grove has now become strangely blurred.
                    Grove Online makes mention only of their dedicatee, the publisher Mitrophan Belyayev: " In Russia the publisher M.P. Belyayev, who set up quartet evenings in St Petersburg in 1891, encouraged Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin and their circle (the composite quartets Les vendredis and Quatuor B-La-F, written for his musical evenings, are a notable monument to his patronage)."

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Ooh, yes. I see from the playlist they played some Paganini. Radio 3 can be relied on to dig out some unusual arrangements.

I knew the South Bank Show had been going a while but I never knew old Pags had composed the theme.

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

can't think what TV programme I was watching the other day, suddenly Petroc's face filled the screen and we were told he would be reviewing the newspapers on Sky News at X, Y and Z hours. Does he do a lot of that ? Is it to convert Sky News watchers into Radio 3 listeners ?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I believe I woke up in a parallel universe in which a complete Beethoven sonata was played on Radio 3 Breakfast.

Credit where it's due.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            I believe I woke up in a parallel universe in which a complete Beethoven sonata was played on Radio 3 Breakfast.

Credit where it's due.
                            No doubt we'll have tweets read out complaining about how old hat it sounds and the unconscionable amount of time without a tweet or a text being read out.

Comment

• muzzer
                              • Nov 2013

Sky News has all sorts of people reviewing the papers. Good luck to PT, I can't see Breakfast as a long-term gig for him, personally. On the subject of dead-panning, I thought the way last week he related the discussion about whether or not to keep Bach Before 7 was quite telling.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                                Sky News has all sorts of people reviewing the papers. Good luck to PT, I can't see Breakfast as a long-term gig for him, personally. On the subject of dead-panning, I thought the way last week he related the discussion about whether or not to keep Bach Before 7 was quite telling.
                                Interesting...

... hadn't occurred to me, but thinking back, you may be right.

Comment

Working...
                                X