• Show
Clear All
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    ...one at the end of Edgeware Road...
    ... handily enough
    Where's that?

The thing that makes Waitrose totally unacceptable is that in front of every row of shelves there are two men in suits on their feet & two uniformed girls on their knees turning labels to the front & shuffling things into a mess. One has a clipboard & writes it all down. Customers are very unwelcome.

Zero points also for the customers who do their shopping holding their free coffee, spilling it in various baskets along the way. However, Scotch Eggs & boil in the bag Kippers are good.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Budgens still exist. There is quite a large one just as you exit Brighton Station and several dotted around Sussex and the West Country - very often attached to large petrol stations.

On our regular routes we often visit Budgens in both Hawkhurst and Billingshurst (neither attached to anything else).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
        Where's that?
        It was meant to say "the Marble Arch end of the Edgware Road", looks like something odd happened to the text, will amend.

The thing that makes Waitrose totally unacceptable is that in front of every row of shelves there are two men in suits on their feet & two uniformed girls on their knees turning labels to the front & shuffling things into a mess. One has a clipboard & writes it all down. Customers are very unwelcome.
        Bloody hell, which branch is that? I've always been favourably impressed with the Waitrose staff, friendly and no one on their knees or touting clipboards that I've seen...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Don Petter

Bloody hell, which branch is that? I've always been favourably impressed with the Waitrose staff, friendly and no one on their knees or touting clipboards that I've seen...

We were impressed with the Uckfield Waitrose last week. Unlike our nearest branch (Hailsham) they don't require a £1 coin to release a trolley, and the checkout man instigated a discussion on the philosophical theories of René Descartes.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Where's that?

Maybe that's what it's like in the big smoke, but I can assure you I have never seen that in what has been termed Lord Howells' barren wasteland.

OG

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              Budgen(')s still exists - 180 stores apparently http://www.budgens.co.uk/
              Yay, there's one in Okehampton! And still one in Tadley, Hants which used to get the MP family's custom.
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                the checkout man instigated a discussion on the philosophical theories of René Descartes.
                ...plus five-star 'boil in the bag Kippers' (apparently)! what more could one want?
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Zero points also for the customers who do their shopping holding their free coffee, spilling it in various baskets along the way. However, Scotch Eggs & boil in the bag Kippers are good.
                  I've shopped at Waitrose in Buxton, Newark, York, Willerby (Hull) and have nothing but praise for the shopping experience.

Comment

• Don Petter

...plus five-star 'boil in the bag Kippers' (apparently)! what more could one want?
                    Descartes il dit: Helas! Le 'kipper Anglais' pourrait bouillir dans le sac de couchage.

Comment

• James Wonnacott
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... while I share the wish to avoid piped music, I think you shd be more tolerant of apostrophes present or absent. I have been very happy using Lloyds Bank for the last fifty years, and when I need medicaments I find Boots The Chemists usually very satisfactory. And when necessary I use whichever is the more convenient underground station - Earl's Court or Barons Court.

If I'm touchy on this subject it may be because I was WRONGLY deducted a point in an English essay when I was twelve, having had to write about where we lived, - and in my brilliant text I mentioned "Paultons Square" - the English master then proceeded to "correct" by inserting an INCORRECT apostrophe. I've never really recovered...
                      Oh, come on, get it right "Boots the Chemist's" :D
                      I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• muzzer
                        • Nov 2013

There is the prospect of my hitherto Waitrose-free patch of north London getting a Tesco or Sainsbo. Not sure how the bien pensants will resolve that particular conflict.

Back on topic, PT has just played Sound the Trumpet and I have switched off. No offence to PT, who does a great job under difficult circs, but that ****ing piece must have been played umpteen times in the last month. If ever there was a reason to tear down the academy, turn on, tune in, and drop out, it's such a piece. I have choked on my cornflakes and can only write these few remaining words.

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                          Sound the Trumpet
                          ........ tho' it was the Britten realization for 2 tenors + piano ........... which on second thoughts probably doesn't make things any better for you

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post
                            Oh, come on, get it right "Boots the Chemist's" :D
                            Don't the upper classes drop the 's' anyway? - Woolworth and, presumably, Boot.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              But NOT Mark & Spencer

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                F.W.Woolworth was a highly profitable business. Once it became Woolworths, things rapidly declined. But when Waterstone's became Waterstones, I stopped going there.

Comment

Working...
                                X