X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    it would certainly be embarrassing to be told one had been seen in Tesco's.
    Not the Brixton branch!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Excuse my pedantry ff but it was Sainsbury's not Tesco!

http://www.nickjordan.co.uk/2010/12/...ket-hierarchy/
      That's the internet for you. I remembered the Coren and riffraff and the first hit said Tescos. I can see now that there are two versions of the story, pretty much alternating :-)

Works either way, in my view. Waitrose and Coop are the only permissible ones (actually, I prefer the Sainsbury's version: Tesco shoppers already know their place )
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        That's the internet for you. I remembered the Coren and riffraff and the first hit said Tescos. I can see now that there are two versions of the story, pretty much alternating :-)

Works either way, in my view. Waitrose and Coop are the only permissible ones (actually, I prefer the Sainsbury's version: Tesco shoppers already know their place )
        My rank order would be as follows:
        Waitrose - no piped music
        Booth's - no piped music
        Sainsbury’s - no piped music (except in Stoke-on-Trent)
        Tesco - no piped music (except at Christmas)
        Iceland - no piped music as far as I am aware
        Aldi - no piped music

Co-op - piped music made even worse by cheap speakers.
        Asda - piped music
        Morrisons - dreadful and often loud piped music and no apostrophe. The pits.

Lidl I don't know and I've never heard of Budgen
        Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 20-05-14, 17:07. Reason: Accidentally included the Co-op twice

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Co-op - piped music made even worse by cheap speakers.

Oh thank you Alpie for the best chuckle all day. So true, so true!!

I've never heard of Budgen
          I think they've disappeared. They were always tatty and had a distinctly down-at-heel feel.

The large one that until 2008 was near me was however snapped up by Waitrose, whose recession strategy I've found fascinating: around me, they have also opened two other 'outlets' in formerly cheap and cheerful premises, one in the big ex-Woolworths at the Marble Arch end of Edgware Road, and the other the shop at my local petrol station.

So from no Waitroses 10 years ago, I now have 3 within walking or 5-minutes' pedalling distance, including the garage one (the nearest) which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week... handily enough
          Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 20-05-14, 21:00. Reason: odd spelling
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... while I share the wish to avoid piped music, I think you shd be more tolerant of apostrophes present or absent. I have been very happy using Lloyds Bank for the last fifty years, and when I need medicaments I find Boots The Chemists usually very satisfactory. And when necessary I use whichever is the more convenient underground station - Earl's Court or Barons Court.

If I'm touchy on this subject it may be because I was WRONGLY deducted a point in an English essay when I was twelve, having had to write about where we lived, - and in my brilliant text I mentioned "Paultons Square" - the English master then proceeded to "correct" by inserting an INCORRECT apostrophe. I've never really recovered...

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

Budgen(')s still exists - 180 stores apparently http://www.budgens.co.uk/
              Last edited by mercia; 20-05-14, 16:39.

Comment

• Anna

Budgens still exist. There is quite a large one just as you exit Brighton Station and several dotted around Sussex and the West Country - very often attached to large petrol stations.

Our Somerfield was taken over by Co-Op, when it opened complete with piped music there were so many complaints (and threats to shop elsewhere) that the music stopped completely. It's now totally silent except for Carols over Christmas.

Edit: Oops, crossposted with mercs!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... while I share the wish to avoid piped music, I think you shd be more tolerant of apostrophes present or absent. I have been very happy using Lloyds Bank for the last fifty years, and when I need medicaments I find Boots The Chemists usually very satisfactory. And when necessary I use whichever is the more convenient underground station - Earl's Court or Barons Court.

If I'm touchy on this subject it may be because I was WRONGLY deducted a point in an English essay when I was twelve, having had to write about where we lived, - and in my brilliant text I mentioned "Paultons Square" - the English master then proceeded to "correct" by inserting an INCORRECT apostrophe. I've never really recovered...
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

But the question is, was that the fault of the Local Council for failing to put the apostrophe on the road sign. They went that way in Birmingham and Devon. When I lived in Chesterfield, there was a very short road with three names on different signs:
                    Dixons Road, Dixon Road and Dixon's Road. (All that was missing was Dixons' Road.) Not far away was a public wieghbridge (sic).

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... some good background on the oddities of our use of apostrophes -

First published in Modern English Teacher, 2003.  Amended 2010 and again in 2012 Intelligent apostrophes and dumb apostrophes. Note the errors are on BOTH signs at The Yellow Conservatory. The same…

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

But the question is, was that the fault of the Local Council for failing to put the apostrophe on the road sign. ).
                        ... no fault as far as "Paultons Square" is concerned. It was named after the country seat of Sir Hans Sloane's nephew - Paultons, in Hampshire.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

... no fault as far as "Paultons Square" is concerned. It was named after the country seat of Sir Hans Sloane's nephew - Paultons, in Hampshire.
                          I think you will find that Paulton's Square is the middle of the cricket pitch at Paulton's cricket ground in Hampshire, a rather lovely ground on which I have plied my tricky medium pacers more than once.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Ah, I see. It does become more fussy when plurals are involved; hence Queen's College Oxford and Queens' College Cambridge.

How did we get on to this?

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... . It was named after the country seat of Sir Hans Sloane's nephew - Paultons, in Hampshire.
                              How are the mighty fallen! I see it is now the seat of Peppa Pig World...

Visit Paultons Park - the #1 UK theme park as rated on Google and TripAdvisor - for an unforgettable family day out.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                I think you will find that Paulton's Square is the middle of the cricket pitch at Paulton's cricket ground in Hampshire, a rather lovely ground on which I have plied my tricky medium pacers more than once.
                                No trickier medium-pacers than those of the long-gone Hampshire favourite Derek Shackleton ("military -medium" as John Arlott used to describe them), one of my boyhood heroes, alongside the magnificent Roy Marshall and later Barry Richards.

Comment

Working...
                                X