• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Compare and contrast:

"I’m against the gatekeepers of some mystical classical high culture saying you can’t come in. Everyone should feel they are invited.”

"There will always be a small number of critics who want to keep it to themselves and an elite, but I’ve always been of the opinion that classical music is for everybody and I want to make it as accessible as possible – I’m from a normal background."
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

"I'm from a normal background" - I wonder what her idea of "normal background" makes mine!

Comment

• Radio64
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post
        What I really find completely beyond comprehension is that anyone should want to have their name read out over the airwaves. It seems to suggest the same mentality as that of people who come up to one and gleefully announce "I saw you in Tesco last night"
        There's nowt as queer as folk ...

Mornin' all!
        "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

it would certainly be embarrassing to be told one had been seen in Tesco's.

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

You can't say that interview hasn't stimulated debate. Even if the Telegraph has then stifled it. Ah the internet. I do fear for a culture where anyone in a position of privilege - whether there by birth, hard work, talent, or likely as not a combination of all three - has to apologise for being there whilst claiming to be 'normal'. Whatever 'normal' is. The simple reality is that social mobility in this country has ground to a halt. Coupled with the dumbing down of public broadcasting and the enduring and enlarged appeal of pop culture, things are - IMHO - in a Very Bad Way. Anything that gets people of any age into classical music has to be A Good Thing, however emetic it - the method not the music - might be from time to time. What - for example - do boarders think of the recent prog following Nicola Benedetti in India?

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              "I'm from a normal background" - I wonder what her idea of "normal background" makes mine!
              I think one of the things that really disappoints me most in life, is our all to frequently displayed inability to recognise our good fortune. No doubt I am as guilty of this as the next person.

As for the general contents of that article, assuming, generously, that there is an ounce of sincerity in it re widening the reach of R3, it rather reminds me of my attempts at DIY, when attempts to make things a little bit better result in them getting much worse.

Of course, cbh probably does genuinely think she comes from an ordinary background....in her circles, she does.

Kinda makes you want to start the day some other way than listening to Breakfast.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                recent prog following Nicola Benedetti in India
                only just found that, and there are only two days left to watch

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                  You can't say that interview hasn't stimulated debate. Even if the Telegraph has then stifled it.

Has it been stifled, or have there just been no further comments since James' one? It seems it would let me 'join the discussion' if I desired to log in.

Comment

• muzzer
                    • Nov 2013

It looks as if comments were wiped and then allowed to start again. FWIW.

Comment

• James Wonnacott
                      • Nov 2010

The article has gone off the news page so nobody's finding it any more- hence no more comments.
                      I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

I think there is something profoundly wrong when an article about Radio3 on a broadsheet is all about a presenter. What has happened to music? Very depressing indeed.

Comment

• Radio64
                          • Jan 2014

Can't we have a C B-H love/hate thread? At least some of you would be saved the chore of having to discuss Her instead of discussing the programme or the music or whatever.

I don't what it's going to be like when She's back on! Will everyone be switching off?
                          "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            In fact, when some of the people want to defend what's going on, they say such stupid things you can't believe they ever listen to the station themselves. Since when has the early morning programme played 45-minute works, followed by a 'long exegesis'? The morning programme has always been the 'easiest listening' most approachable programme. It didn't need to be made any lighter
                            How far are you going back ff - I well remember Heldenleben, Daphnis complete and Eroica being played in the 7-8 slot!

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                              Can't we have a C B-H love/hate thread?
                              I sincerely hope you are joking.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                                You realise that the second quote was from Katherine Jenkins? Very different backgrounds and saying the same thing, but they both have an enormous career interest.

What I do see, from a few cursory searches, is how one of them has made a point of stressing the, aged 11, 'season ticket holder for Arsenal', 'Labour household' image. It may be true, but it doesn't cancel out the huge advantages of the privileged education, following in the footsteps of both father and mother; the social advantages of being married to a member of the Queen's household. I'm afraid the 'elitist' label, lazily and indiscriminately tossed at people much less advantaged, is one of the most unattractive features - to the point of nastiness - of someone who could be doing a lot of good out of the public gaze.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X