X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=french frank;388246]There is at present also a BBC Classical Music Board. I wouldn't expect a Director of Music to meddle with whereof he knows nothing...[/QUOTE.]

Why not? Politicians do all the time.

Comment

• James Wonnacott
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      They are appointed by the monarch (as is the Prime Minister) on the advice of the PM. In reality the PM decides who he/she wants in a post & the monarch says OK (at the moment - goodness knows what will happen when Charlie gets the job)
      He'll probably appoint a shrubbery.
      I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• James Wonnacott
        • Nov 2010

Might not be a bad idea actually.
        I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

I'd expect a Director of Music to champion Music, both internally within the BBC, to maintain its status and funding, and externally with the public and with the music industry and practitioners, via the media and directly.

I'd expect a DoM to set objectives for each Music Controller (Classical Music / Radio 3, Performing Groups and Proms; Popular Music / Radios 1, 1Extra, 2, 6 Music, etc.).

I'd expect a DoM to periodically appraise the Controllers' performance and future plans against these agreed service objectives.

I'd expect a Classical Music Board to audit the setting of objectives, the actual performance and the appraisal process, in the classical music field.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post
            He'll probably appoint a shrubbery.
            A shrubbery or Michael Gove: Hmm!

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
              I'd expect a Director of Music to champion Music, both internally within the BBC, to maintain its status and funding, and externally with the public and with the music industry and practitioners, via the media and directly.

I'd expect a DoM to set objectives for each Music Controller (Classical Music / Radio 3, Performing Groups and Proms; Popular Music / Radios 1, 1Extra, 2, 6 Music, etc.).

I'd expect a DoM to periodically appraise the Controllers' performance and future plans against these agreed service objectives.

I'd expect a Classical Music Board to audit the setting of objectives, the actual performance and the appraisal process, in the classical music field.
              sounds like a career managers paradise.

Again, making a simple thing look difficult.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

I think HG has been reading Asterix and the Picts, wanting the DoM to be like Limitednumbus.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                  No, the Classical Music Board was set up to coordinate the broadcasting of classical music across radio and television.

As for what the Director of Music will do, Mr Shennan was formerly: "Head of BBC Sport where he had overall responsibility for sports coverage on BBC radio and television." So all he has to do is Tippex out 'Sport' and pencil in 'Music'; then he should be all right.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    No, the Classical Music Board was set up to coordinate the broadcasting of classical music across radio and television.

As for what the Director of Music will do, Mr Shennan was formerly: "Head of BBC Sport where he had overall responsibility for sports coverage on BBC radio and television." So all he has to do is Tippex out 'Sport' and pencil in 'Music'; then he should be all right.
                    for people who don't follow sport, i would just like to say that this is a very bad sign.

BBC sport has been reduced to high profile events and sports that politicians like to be associated with, and that nobody is actually interested in watching really.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      for people who don't follow sport, i would just like to say that this is a very bad sign.

BBC sport has been reduced to high profile events and sports that politicians like to be associated with, and that nobody is actually interested in watching really.
                      ...and coverage of football outside the Premier League is minimal.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        Is this the proper place to say that I enjoy Breakfast? .
                        Yes, I would say so - especially when Ian Skelly's doing it.

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          Yes, I would say so - especially when Ian Skelly's doing it.

Indeed OG another good performance I thought....

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Whoever cancelled Grandstand should be in the Tower .

Comment

• MLF

Huzzah!

Mr Skelly is on Breakfast all this coming week.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MLF View Post
                                Mr Skelly is on Breakfast all this coming week.
                                Huzzah indeed....

Comment

Working...
                                X