X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    It's yet another distraction to compensate for Radio3's dullest programme.
    Dullest or dumbest?

Comment

• Zucchini
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      (Own up now, ff.)
      I thnk she's a bit busy right now.

She needs to write some letters to Lord Hall, the BBC Trust & Roger W complaining that having babies on the radio is in flagrant breach of the Royal Charter & R3's remit & Patsy "Bubbles" Hughes & Adli Lidl didn't do it & would they answer the following 53 questions under the Freedom of Information Act...

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
        I thnk she's a bit busy right now.

She needs to write some letters to Lord Hall, the BBC Trust & Roger W complaining that having babies on the radio is in flagrant breach of the Royal Charter & R3's remit & Patsy "Bubbles" Hughes & Adli Lidl didn't do it & would they answer the following 53 questions under the Freedom of Information Act...
        Keep up the good work, Zucchini! Everyone else here seems so very po of face.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
          Everyone else here seems so very po of face.
          People who used to enjoy the peaktime morning listening on R3 will continue to be annoyed that their programmes have been retargeted on a different audience. And those who attack (albeit mildly and amusingly) either me, FoR3, or any of the others here who complain might actually say why they disagree so that a discussion could be held on the opposing views.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

I have done in the past. No discussion follows, merely (if anything) restatement of entrenched views. I don't like everything about Breakfast, and am averse to certain presenters. But I can see very little wrong with PT's presentation, for example, or with the overall content of his programmes. I sometimes feel that posters here have a fixed negative idea of what they think Breakfast now is, and (if they listen at all now) seize on examples which tend to confirm their views whilst ignoring the inconvenient mass of evidence to the contrary.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Perhaps it should be acknowledged that on both sides there are the 'I don't like it' and' Well, I think it's all right' comments - but unless such opinions are supported by general points based on what the aims of Radio 3 should be and why, what is likely to 'succeed' (and what that means) and whether it does succeed, there is no two-way discussion at all.

If, along general lines, someone has a view as to what is 'good' or 'bad' it would seem essential to illustrate such opinions with examples.

I merely say if there is to be a discussion, both sides need to have some reasoned basis to their comments.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Listening to Breakfast this morning there was a conversation between Petroc and Rob Both seemed to be determined never to use a full stop They rushed on at the end of each sentence as quickly as possible Then they would eventually run out of

breath and pause in the middle of a sentence to avoid an on-air death Subsequently they would continue It is as though someone were going to interrupt Maybe they think that constant jabbering makes good radio I can't thing why Does anyone have any thoughts on this If so please text tweet or e-mail me We shall pass on your comments after we've read them out Do keep them coming in Thank you for your company

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Listening to Breakfast this morning there was a conversation between Petroc and Rob Both seemed to be determined never to use a full stop They rushed on at the end of each sentence as quickly as possible Then they would eventually run out of

breath and pause in the middle of a sentence to avoid an on-air death Subsequently they would continue It is as though someone were going to interrupt Maybe they think that constant jabbering makes good radio I can't thing why Does anyone have any thoughts on this If so please text tweet or e-mail me We shall pass on your comments after we've read them out Do keep them coming in Thank you for your company
                  Perhaps they were playing to the gallery as I presume they were both in the "pop-up" glass studio.

OG

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Possibly, though it's something I've noticed about R3 presenters before. Perhaps they are trained to avoid silences?

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Breakfast provided us with some family entertainment today. A caller-in had explained that as an adult he had learned the clarinet, violin and saxophone and had done Grade V, etc, etc. The presenter then said to the hapless individual, "Now can you tell us if it was worth it" [or words to that effect] whereupon our breakfast table erupted as follows:

Mrs A: Nah mate
                      G-kid 1: Total waste of ******* time
                      G-kid 2: BOR - ING
                      Me: Wish I'd taken up ferret stuffing instead

It took us some time to regain our composure. So there is some mileage in Breakfast after all.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        Breakfast provided us with some family entertainment today. A caller-in had explained that as an adult he had learned the clarinet, violin and saxophone and had done Grade V, etc, etc. The presenter then said to the hapless individual, "Now can you tell us if it was worth it" [or words to that effect] whereupon our breakfast table erupted as follows:

Mrs A: Nah mate
                        G-kid 1: Total waste of ******* time
                        G-kid 2: BOR - ING
                        Me: Wish I'd taken up ferret stuffing instead

It took us some time to regain our composure. So there is some mileage in Breakfast after all.

Good to hear others play this game. We do it all the time when the TV studio newsreader, having described an event in full then hands over to an OT reporter standing in the dark outside a darkened building and says "What else can you tell us?"
                        Our chorus is "Nuffink!"
                        And, strangely, we are always right...
                        O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post

Good to hear others play this game. We do it all the time when the TV studio newsreader, having described an event in full then hands over to an OT reporter standing in the dark outside a darkened building and says "What else can you tell us?"
                          Our chorus is "Nuffink!"
                          And, strangely, we are always right...

It must be a natural rather than orchestrated response then, because I find myself doing it too with TV ads, especially the one promoting business cards, in which a woman comes on saying, "They have to convey some aspect of... " and I shout "ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!"

Comment

• MLF

Poor old Petroc. He is maintaining a brave, even valiant face this week.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

The days of soothing long pauses delivered by such cherished names as Peter Barker, Patricia Hughes, Tony Scotland etc. seem like a million years ago.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                                The days of soothing long pauses delivered by such cherished names as Peter Barker, Patricia Hughes, Tony Scotland etc. seem like a million years ago.
                                or even Penny Gore at cereal time!

and whatever happened to long works at 0705?

Comment

Working...
                                X